Post Thanks / Like

Greasegun Cartridges for Polyurethane Bushings

Poly bushings can be sensitive; not every lubricant is appropriate for them. I recently used up the last cartridge in my greasegun and need to buy more.

Much as I like ES`s Formula 5, they no longer offer it in greasegun cartridges and there`s no way I`m gonna transfer it from a plastic tub into any of my guns.

Who makes a good, Polyurethane-compatible lube that comes in cartridges?

I have one remaining tube of Griot`s Super Impact Grease, but when I called and asked them about it, their Customer Service Representative...

[WARNING, rant follows...]

[OH...Original Post DELETED..]

Had nothing of use to tell me even after I finally convinced him that it really was a GG product (I was reading off its GG label and this [individual] still argued with me, with statements and vocal inflections that were insulting).

So I don`t know whether it`d be OK to use that or not and I`m not taking any chances.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greasegun Cartridges for Polyurethane Bushings

I use super lube synthetic grease. Absolutely polyurethane compatible. I used it on the bmw after installing poly bushes. I am in the process of installing poly bushes on the camaro. I just ordered a new cartridge of the super lube because i ran out. I haven’t had a problem with squeaking, or stiction with it.

funny that you posted this today. I had just ordered som from spohn dot com . Then cam over here to read what was going on. They are located in PA.so should be a quick way to get it for you.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Coleroad- Heh heh, from my mouth to God`s ear Perfect timing, huh?!? Somehow, Spohn sounds familiar to me too. Thanks!

Maybe if I order the lube I`ll get back on the Crown Vic Project one of these days...at least I`ll have one less excuse
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sphon is a family owned business with great customer service. They make most of the products they sell. Of course super lube isn’t but still supporting a family business.

Post Thanks / Like

Even better

Post Thanks / Like

Mobil 1 and Valvoline both make synthetic greases that work well on polyurethane bushings. I’ll need to look but the cartridges I have now were Mobil 1’s synthetic aircraft rated grease. Back in the day it was well recommended for firearm parts it hangs around in high heat environments and kinda where I stumbled across it ($10-$12/cartridge). It simply seems to never go away on sway bars and control arm bushings. I’ve used it on poly bushings for years without issue. The Mobil 1 version is a little bit sticky, kind of like a marine grease but as long as you’re not applying gobs of it you’ll be good. For the most part a heavy duty, high pressure grease that isn’t petroleum based should do just fine on polyeurothane.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, Coleroad liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know guys use a marine lithium grease a lot. Personally I would check into that a bit b4 using tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I know guys use a marine lithium grease a lot. Personally I would check into that a bit b4 using tho.

lithium grease is compatible, but it melts at such a very low temperature. It ends up melting and runny out real quick during use. I like lithium grease, but not for this application. The marine stuff does have much better water resistance than regular lithium grease though.
    Likes Dr Oldz liked this post
    Thanks Dr Oldz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I appreciate all the contributions, more info is always good in my book!

And I kinda figured that Firearms might come up in a discussion of synthetic lubes

GearHead_1- I`d blown off the Mobil1 (and didn`t think of the Valvoline) because they don`t have it in cartridges at my local place.

I do wonder about the thick/"sticky" lubes as I question whether they`d get into the areas where they gotta.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I do wonder about the thick/"sticky" lubes as I question whether they`d get into the areas where they gotta.

I hadn’t really thought about before. I could see that maybe being true on ones that aren’t fluted, or knurled on the inside. If they are fluted or knurled I wouldn’t think it would be a issue. Those grease gun really do force a lot of pressure.

it’s a good question. It would be nice to hear from someone who has tested it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Coleroad- Yeah, one of those situational things; I wouldn`t worry on some things at all, but others are a different story.

No practical way to test it on the bits I`m concerned about either, gonna err on the side of caution.

Thread Information