Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Is Extended-Mileage Oils a New Requirement for Vehicle Gas Engines Built after 2015?

My brother-in-law stated his newer 2017Chyrsler Pacifica 3.7L PentistarV6 engine required the use a full-synthetic extended-mileage 0W-20 oil. I looked on the bottle of Mobil1 he bought and sure enough, it stated that it was for engines made in 2015 and later.

Is there a new oil spec for this, OR is this just because vehicle manufacturer`s are permitting seemingly longer engine oil-change intervals now and the ONLY way to "guarantee" (AKA, new car warranty) that is to use an extended-mileage synthetic oil.

I understand the "water-thin" 0W-20 part is needed to get the gas mileage out of engines via the reduced viscosity. But I am more concerned that this new requirement is needed to take care of the "Auto Engine Shut-off at Stop and Re-Start" feature, again, engineered to meet government fuel economy standards for newer vehicles. Most engine wear takes place at start-up, especially when cold. My brother-in-law HATES this feature, and apparently, there is no way to turn off or deactivate this "Engine-Stop-Start" feature and his concerns about engine wear and starter wear, I believe, are well founded.

Any thoughts about the extended-mileage oil requirement and its relationship to the engine Stop-Start feature??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Extended-Mileage Oils a New Requirement for Vehicle Gas Engines Built after 2015?

I`m not familiar with what Chrysler is doing but I just checked the maint. info on another brand with start-stop and they don`t say anything about "extended-mileage", only 0W-20 SN.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Extended-Mileage Oils a New Requirement for Vehicle Gas Engines Built after 2015?

Lonnie, I`m no help, but you might find the answer on Bob is the Oil Guy forums (sorta the Autopia of engine oils).

Good luck
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Lonnie, I`m no help, but you might find the answer on Bob is the Oil Guy forums..
    That

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly in the name of epa and cafe. 0w20 can squeeze a small % of fuel economy out of engines speced for them. They design and build them for that thin oil. Longer drain intervals show lower cost of ownership

And it’s a 3.6 Pentastar engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It might be a healthy dose of marketing on Mobil 1`s part.

My wife`s Toyota Highlander uses 0w20 oil as well and that generation of vehicle first went into production in 2007.

Oil companies often get certifications from manufacturers to show their oil meets requirements for use in the aftermarket and at dealerships. Maybe the new certifications for that weight of Mobil1 weren`t around until 2015? All the automakers update their standards over time. Of course all the older ones are still valid as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Is 2015 when the newest dexos testing came out ? Could be that as well or it could be when SN plus came out and the vehicles that require it

I’m not aware of main stream OEs using Mobil 1. Just off the top of my head AMG, Porsche, and corvette. Probably more but not like a Chrysler Pacifica or Ford Ecosport is coming with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your responses .
    My bad about the engine displacement of 3.7L, as MattPersman pointed out it is a Pentastar 3.6L.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post

I’m not aware of main stream OEs using Mobil 1. Just off the top of my head AMG, Porsche, and corvette.
    I dunno, I have a GM high-feature 3.6 that had Mobil 1 factory fill, I presume they all did, at that time.

Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Even if the OE slaps a label on the filler cap or calls out one specific brand that doesn`t mean it`s the only option available. Many oil companies pay good money to get certified to a certain standard by the OE`s like BMW`s LL-0X, or VW`s 50X.XX standards and they will renew them periodically when the OE`s standards change. This allows the oil to be use without causing any waranty issues.

Since dealerships buy oil in bulk, you`d be surprised by what they might be using. I know BMW dealerships used to use Mobil 1 and Castrol in the US. My VW has a Castrol label on the filler cap, but they use other brands based on price. My last oil change recieved Havoline synthetic. The particular version they used carries the VW 502.00 certification or newer required by my car, so it isn`t a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know what we`re talking about anymore...I think I posted earlier in the thread that GM gets free factory-fill oil by letting Mobil put "Mobil 1" on the filler cap. Of course there are plenty of synthetic oils that meet the spec that GM calls out in the manual, I only posted that picture because a previous poster doubted that "mainstream OE`s" were using Mobil 1...of course my car is old, who knows what they are doing now.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that Start/Stop Feature does really well is wear out your starter motor and battery quicker.. And then, your Alternator has to run more often at full charge to keep that Battery charged up.. Of course, if you don`t keep the vehicle long, this will never be an issue for you..

I would like to see studies in years that show how much $$ was actually "saved" with this Feature on, and then compare that number to the cost of replacing starter motors and batteries more often..
    Dan F
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    The only thing that Start/Stop Feature does really well is wear out your starter motor and battery quicker.. And then, your Alternator has to run more often at full charge to keep that Battery charged up.. Of course, if you don`t keep the vehicle long, this will never be an issue for you..

I would like to see studies in years that show how much $$ was actually "saved" with this Feature on, and then compare that number to the cost of replacing starter motors and batteries more often..
    Dan F
    Typical American corporate answer to a Federal Mandate to meet EPA gas mileage requirement. Yes, there is no doubt that gas mileage is improved, BUT as you point out Stokdgs, the "hidden cost" is in the wear-and-tear on the engine starter and electrical system to the owner down the road. So I spend $800.00 to get that system replaced every 5-years, but save $350 in fuel over that time (60,000 miles of driving based on an industry consumer travel average of 12,000 per year) to gain 0.35 mile per gallon over the same vehicle without that feature.

Kind of like the math I went though with my wife on buying a 3-year-old used larger AWD sedan (Ford Taurus) versus a used Subaru Outback with the same odometer miles, but it cost $5,500 more (The Subby is what I wanted to buy!). When you factor in the extra payment cost on a loan over 3-years on the $5,500, I can buy buy an AWFUL lot of gas for the difference, even though the Subaru got 10 more miles per gallon based on about $3.00 per gallon. Here`s how:
    At 1,000 miles per month, the Subaru with its 34 MPG would cost $88.24 per month , based on $3.00 per gallon of gasoline.
    The Taurus with its 24 MPG would cost $125.00 per month, based again $3.00 per gallon. The difference is $36.76 per month.
    The car loan payment on $5,500 (the excess purchase price of the Subaru over the Taurus) over 36 months at 3.00 % is $159.95 per month. Based on the difference between the loan payment and the gas cost difference ($159.95 -$36.76), the difference of $123.19 will buy 41.06 gallons of gas @ $3.00/gal, and at 24 MPG, the Taurus can travel an extra 985.52 miles per month over the Subaru, all things (costs) being considered.
    Penny wise and pound foolish. What looks like it has a better MPG performance, but cost more to purchase and hence has a higher loan payment per month, are you REALLY saving?? Numbers do not lie.

Yes, I KNOW the Subaru will retain its value MUCH,MUCH better 3 years from now over the Taurus, especially if (or more likely when and not too far in the future, if the next elected government officials have their way) gas gets to $5.00 per gallon, so yes I admit, there are extenuating and important economic factors to consider.
    GB detailer
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Even if the OE slaps a label on the filler cap or calls out one specific brand that doesn`t mean it`s the only option available. Many oil companies pay good money to get certified to a certain standard by the OE`s like BMW`s LL-0X, or VW`s 50X.XX standards and they will renew them periodically when the OE`s standards change. This allows the oil to be use without causing any waranty issues.

Since dealerships buy oil in bulk, you`d be surprised by what they might be using. I know BMW dealerships used to use Mobil 1 and Castrol in the US. My VW has a Castrol label on the filler cap, but they use other brands based on price. My last oil change recieved Havoline synthetic. The particular version they used carries the VW 502.00 certification or newer required by my car, so it isn`t a big deal.
    I’m an oil snob. I don’t trust the dealer or local grease monkey to put the correct oil in my vehicles, I buy my oil (and filter) and take it to whoever is going to install it. I also try to watch and make sure they actually use my oil that I brought and not the bulk stuff. My OCD is not limited to paint.
    Likes nickclark08, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’m an oil snob. I don’t trust the dealer or local grease monkey to put the correct oil in my vehicles, I buy my oil (and filter) and take it to whoever is going to install it. I also try to watch and make sure they actually use my oil that I brought and not the bulk stuff. My OCD is not limited to paint.

You are are not the only one who doesn`t trust those places. That`s probably what I`ll do when I can no longer change it myself.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information