Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Extended-Mileage Oils a New Requirement for Vehicle Gas Engines Built after 2015?

Dan- I were just starting out driving/getting trained I`m sure I`d assimilate the new-tech the same way I did the old.

With so many things being different from car-to-car these days, I wonder how many people really get dialed-in with their vehicles. If controls/switches/etc. are in different places, or if doing one thing or another (e.g., the brake-hold example) differs, I don`t see how people are able to attain unconscious competence (yeah, I realize that few ever do anyhow ). Life doesn`t pause for a second while ya remember what to do or look for something.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Extended-Mileage Oils a New Requirement for Vehicle Gas Engines Built after 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Dan- I were just starting out driving/getting trained I`m sure I`d assimilate the new-tech the same way I did the old.

With so many things being different from car-to-car these days, I wonder how many people really get dialed-in with their vehicles. If controls/switches/etc. are in different places, or if doing one thing or another (e.g., the brake-hold example) differs, I don`t see how people are able to attain unconscious competence (yeah, I realize that few ever do anyhow ). Life doesn`t pause for a second while ya remember what to do or look for something.
    Most are too busy playing with their phone to drive anyway. No one appreciates good driving, it’s just a chore.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Agree entirely. And it seems people don`t take driving very seriously considering it`s probably the most dangerous thing most do on a regular basis. Familiarity/contempt and all that.

And people don`t know how to use ABS. Still. The last person to rear-end me (lowslung sedan`s front bumpercover, meet my Tahoe`s trailer hitch) would`ve stopped in plenty of time had she not let up, expensive lesson for her (zero problem for the Tahoe, lucky me..had I been in one of the sedans it would`ve been a disaster).

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, you got rear-ended again? I thought the last time that happened you were in the minivan.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

This is definitely a concern, like that actor that got run over by his Jeep because someone thought it was a good idea to change the standard shift lever layout because they could because it was "drive by wire" and not (mechanically) connected to anything. Waiting for someone to decide they should swap the gas and brake pedals to be "fresh".

Besides what Dan said about the phones, simply the fact that a satellite radio display has so much information on it to read vs. the old days with a just channel number, "who plays this song?" takes your eyes off the road for a much longer amount of time.

Post Thanks / Like

And people don`t know how to use ABS. Still. The last person to rear-end me (lowslung sedan`s front bumpercover, meet my Tahoe`s trailer hitch) would`ve stopped in plenty of time had she not let up, expensive lesson for her (zero problem for the Tahoe, lucky me..had I been in one of the sedans it would`ve been a disaster).
    I`m sure this will cheer you up...I`m sure the computer in those "forward collision-avoidance" systems knows how to use the ABS correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    This is definitely a concern, like that actor that got run over by his Jeep because someone thought it was a good idea to change the standard shift lever layout because they could because it was "drive by wire" and not (mechanically) connected to anything. Waiting for someone to decide they should swap the gas and brake pedals to be "fresh".

Besides what Dan said about the phones, simply the fact that a satellite radio display has so much information on it to read vs. the old days with a just channel number, "who plays this song?" takes your eyes off the road for a much longer amount of time.
    Yeah, way too much information spit out at the driver that is irrelevant. And critical stuff like engine temp is buried in a menu somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife has a 2017 Highlander and the owners manual says nothing about using extended mileage oil
    It also has the start stop thing but it does have a button to cut it off
    every time the engine is cut off and back on it enables that function again so you have to push the button again but that is not a problem
    My house was built in 1999 and it has pex. Knock on wood I’ve never had a leak yet
    a guy I worked with, his house was built a few years before mine and he had a bunch of leaks
    His must’ve been a different type of pex
    Setec, the last statement you made is very true
    I worked for a company for 38 years, operating the machines for the first 15 and doing mechanical troubleshooting, replacing parts and adjustments for the last 23 years
    You see good operators and bad operators

Post Thanks / Like

Agree entirely. And it seems people don`t take driving very seriously considering it`s probably the most dangerous thing most do on a regular basis. Familiarity/contempt and all that.

the first big mistake was when they pulled drivers education out of the schools. Now there`s second generation of drivers who haven`t been properly educated on driving. I know I sure as heck paid to send my daughter to drivers education, but so many people don`t now. Plus people think that the car should now do everything for them. First came auto headlights. People won`t turn them on manually when it`s foggy, or raining because the car should do it for them. Then backup cameras come along. Oh all I have to do is look at this scary when I back up. When that camera doesn`t cover everything you need to be aware of. The list goes on. Then like was said people just busy with doing whatever instead of driving. I know phones are the biggest one anymore, but there`s always been distractions. I`ve seen crazy things, putting makeup on, shaving, sitting a book in the steering wheel to read, digging through tapes, changing clothes. It`s pure craziness.

When we we bought the Buick you had your choice between the 16`s and 17`s yet. It was a no brainer for to pick the 16. One to go with the other tread, no stop start feature. More important was they move the information screen from the top of the dash to the middle of the console. So now instead of it being closer to a heads up display. You have to look down the center stack. I have for years now put a aftermarket hud in the cars so I can focus more on the road.
    Is Extended-Mileage Oils a New Requirement for Vehicle Gas Engines Built after 2015?-image.jpg
    Is Extended-Mileage Oils a New Requirement for Vehicle Gas Engines Built after 2015?-image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, Driving is one more thing that "everybody has a *right* to do" without the attendant responsibility.

Eh, that and "I`m good enough at [whatever] because I say so".

And good on you for adding the HUD so you`re not looking away from the road all the time!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a crude understanding of this I’m sure compared to a petroleum expert / engineer - but here goes - I’m sure some internet expert will prove me wrong.

There are 3 common “synthetic” type base stock oils sold in America (USA)

Group 3: Not real synthetic oil and not able to be labeled “synthetic oil” in EU. It’s hydrocracked dino oil. I have no idea what that hydrocracked means, other than it’s a way of processing traditional oil to improve & purify it. It is not a synthetic base - but it is regular oil molecularly manipulated to mimic a true synthetic. This is what the majority of “synthetic” labeled oil sold in the USA is. This oil is not suited for 15k drain intervals - which I consider “extended”

Group 4 & 5: Real synthetic oil. This is the stuff that is suitable for 15k drain intervals and is more expensive than the regular stuff sold as “synthetic” oil. Think Redline, Mobil 1 EU 0w40, & anything labeled 15k oil changes.

This information is old. It may have changed - may not. I dunno. Unfortunately, most big petroleum isn’t coming forward revealing exactly what base stock they are using in their products - so it’s up for speculation & may even be a blend of “synthetic” oil base stock.

IMHO, 15k oil intervals are crazy. I’m pretty sure both oils I use are Group 4 - but I don’t think there is anyway to know 100%. I use Mobil 1 EXP in my truck (change every 5-7.5k) and Liqui Moly’s version of BMWs 0w60 for their M cars in my BMW. If anyone knows additional or if I’m wrong - please chime in..

I’m pretty sure everything will eventually get spec’ed ”extended drain” eventually; but following that recommendation has not always proved ideal for those that have done it in the past and the specific oil you use, even though labeled “synthetic” - may not even be suitable. Not to mention who knows if the oil filters work ideally for this interval.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me that a lot of people underestimate how long oil is OK and overdo the frequent changes. I keep reading about guys who "use Mobil1 every 5K" for, uhm...psychological/emotional reasons. Zero rational basis, at least nothing they can articulate.

If somebody really cares whether their engine will last a gazillion miles, IMO they oughta get their used oil analyzed and see what`s really going on with it. Since most people can`t be bothered to keep their vehicles from rusting out, I somehow doubt that engine failure due to overly extended OCI is what fills the recycling yards with scrap vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astonomy- Hey, I`d somehow missed your earlier post about Active Accident-Avoidance Systems...My wife and I simply will not drive vehicles with those unless they can be (fully) disabled. Period.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me that a lot of people underestimate how long oil is OK and overdo the frequent changes. I keep reading about guys who "use Mobil1 every 5K" for, uhm...psychological/emotional reasons. Zero rational basis, at least nothing they can articulate.

If somebody really cares whether their engine will last a gazillion miles, IMO they oughta get their used oil analyzed and see what`s really going on with it. Since most people can`t be bothered to keep their vehicles from rusting out, I somehow doubt that engine failure due to overly extended OCI is what fills the recycling yards with scrap vehicles.
    Problem is oil analysis costs more than the oil in most cases. I do agree that very few cars hit the junkyard based on extended oil changes. Most these days just have repairs needed that exceed the value of the car. I think rust isn’t as much of a factor anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

The domestic mfrs are just starting to follow the lead of the Euro mfrs. who have had highly-specific, published oil specs for decades.
    Cars: bringing people together

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information