Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

LED Fog Light VS Halogen

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LED Fog Light VS Halogen

A lot of these aftermarket LED solutions bother me. The optics of those lights were not designed to accomodate a light source as bright as an LED nor a light source emmiting from a different place in the housing. This creates a lot of glare for other drivers.

I think they also missed the point of fog lights. They aren`t supposed to be driving lights (big difference) and having a bulb which puts out light in a temperature on the yellow side of the spectrum actually cuts through fog rain better than something more towards the blue end of the spectrum. It doesn`t help that most cars these days don`t have the lamps aligned properly to function as actual fog lights and simply become cosmetic.
    Likes Coleroad, The Driver, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, but I just can`t click a Youtube link when the guy`s first whole page of forum posts (and most of his in general) are links to his videos. If you`re looking to generate ad revenue/hits/etc, I`d rather support a forum contributor that`s in more conversations.

Without watching the video, I`m in Desertnate`s camp though.
    Likes Desertnate, Coleroad, Stokdgs, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    A lot of these aftermarket LED solutions bother me. The optics of those lights were not designed to accomodate a light source as bright as an LED nor a light source emmiting from a different place in the housing. This creates a lot of glare for other drivers.

I think they also missed the point of fog lights. They aren`t supposed to be driving lights (big difference) and having a bulb which puts out light in a temperature on the yellow side of the spectrum actually cuts through fog rain better than something more towards the blue end of the spectrum. It doesn`t help that most cars these days don`t have the lamps aligned properly to function as actual fog lights and simply become cosmetic.

Spot on, that said there are LED bulbs that are designed for Halogen housings. Phillips uses a reverse firing design (Which I have in my tails) and Vleds makes a very $$$$ bulb called a triton series which uses "digital filament" to disperse light perfectly in a halogen/incandesent housing (which I also have in my turn signals). Both are VERY impressive.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched the video.. It looks like even from the video that the - reflected glare - from those fog lights might be a problem to the driver`s eyes... Anyone that has driven in fog, extreme fog, or snowy conditions knows what I am talking about..

I always make those 4k mile round trips to Texas at night and really want the best lights available for getting way down the road..
    Want to be able to see well in advance if possible, the big buck, etc., standing in the road or on the side of the road, about to launch..

Yellow fog lights or lights like that, have been the norm for fog lights since they were invented.. You really do want something to cut through that ground fog, without much glare, and help keep you on the road, between the lines...

Totally agree with Nate that these led bulbs for fog lights will never be driving lights..

Perhaps someone will actually do the engineering and come up with bulbs that really do work and are made to work with the reflector in the back of the fog lights, are aimed correctly on the road, etc..

Dan F
    Likes SGM2008, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The only two I`d use for fogs.

GTR lighting Ultra series
    https://gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting...rd-generation/

Vleds Tritions (Which are focusable via the ring below the diode itself)
    VLEDS

These are both very effective and the GTR`s actually have a cut-off built into the design (Hence the price).
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes Stokdgs, SGM2008 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I actually wrote a review on Philips X-treme Ultinon LED light before on another forum.
    For those interested you can click the link down there but let me show you some photos here

Conclusion:
    There is no glare and they provides a good amount of light.
    But the greenish tint color render (pun intended) them less ideal as fog or general lighting.
    No next time, Philips, particularly they are 50% more expensive than the major competitor but have lower wattage.

https://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2416277
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Likes Stokdgs, SGM2008, Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I watched the video.. It looks like even from the video that the - reflected glare - from those fog lights might be a problem to the driver`s eyes... Anyone that has driven in fog, extreme fog, or snowy conditions knows what I am talking about..

I always make those 4k mile round trips to Texas at night and really want the best lights available for getting way down the road..
    Want to be able to see well in advance if possible, the big buck, etc., standing in the road or on the side of the road, about to launch..

Yellow fog lights or lights like that, have been the norm for fog lights since they were invented.. You really do want something to cut through that ground fog, without much glare, and help keep you on the road, between the lines...

Totally agree with Nate that these led bulbs for fog lights will never be driving lights..

Perhaps someone will actually do the engineering and come up with bulbs that really do work and are made to work with the reflector in the back of the fog lights, are aimed correctly on the road, etc..

Dan F
    Dan, you want the best lights for driving, what type of vehicle are you making these trips in and how mechanically inclined are you?

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I want my LED swap to look like.

LED Fog Light VS Halogen-img_2781a.jpg

Just kidding, I`ll stay with HID

LED Fog Light VS Halogen-img_2785a.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs, Oneheadlite, grisby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Mean Green -------------

Thanks for your reply !

I have a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with the last of the large reflector Low Beam HID lights.. And a separate High-Beam housing that is an upgraded Piaa bulb, halogen.. The Jeep line started into those tiny long HID`s from 2010 on..

My other vehicle is a 2007 Acura TL Type-S, which also had HID`s but they are much smaller and narrower than the Jeep`s HID`s..

Have always felt that the more light one has going down the road, the better.. More equals to me, bigger housing for reflection, to start, and of course, bigger, focused beams..
    The trends to brighter and brighter is going like crazy; yet I see so many people with Purple lights (very inefficient, worse than stock lights), I just can`t believe they are not getting it..

I suppose if you upgrade your lights with whatever, and you drive on well lit roads and freeways in the city, you will never know what it is like driving at high speeds at night in total darkness except for your vehicle lights in front of you.. Way big difference in my experiences..

The roads I drive between Northern CA and Texas are a lot of very dark, no lighting, etc., period, roads with lots of wildlife, getting whacked along them sometimes..
    I don`t want to be one of those guys that hit those things.. And these are Interstates..

Of all the vehicles I have owned in my life, the BMW`s I was so lucky to own all had the best Halogens, and then HID lights, I had ever seen, driving these same dark roads, and I have been driving these roads since 1969.. Yeah, a long....time...

Not sure if there is anything that could improve these vehicle`s lights but if there is, I am all about learning...

Tks,
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

Tks,
    Dan F

To all, please forgive me for thread jacking.

Dan,

There is always room for improvement.

Checkout HIDplanet.com, The Retrofit Source, and LightWerkz Global, as good resource. Right now, with my quick google search of the Jeep, it looks like it utilizes the 9005 halogen high beam, I have excellent news for you, there is an upgrade to this bulb, better than what you have now and it is the 9011. This bulb is not a true HIR, but the current 9011 Philips bulb does produce 300 more lumens than a 9005, 9011= 2000 lumens/bulb, 9005 = 1700 lumens/bulb. The only modification to make the bulb fit is trimming the ears of the mount to 9005 shape, this is much cheaper than LED bulb upgrades. I too have a lot of night driving experience where I am the only one on the road at speed, its nice, you know how it is. With my 9011`s (GS300 in my previous photo above, high beam is the smaller reflector) I get about 1.3 miles (flat road) of reflector pickup, perfect for catching retina reflections. For your HID low beam, I think it was HID D2S, the OSRAM Nightbreaker Laser is the brightest HID bulb currently on the market and could be of benefit, however to take full advantage of its potential, it needs to be in a projector, but is an upgrade nonetheless.

In regards to HID projectors, the RX350 AFS projector is about as good as it gets (only thing better is an LS460 projector, super $$$$), for the money. Pictured above is an RX350 with AFS projector, also has clear lens swap and OSRAM Nightbreaker Laser, good for about 3500 lumens per bulb. That combo (from the middle highway lane) gives coverage of 8 total lanes with me in the middle, and the distance is something that one just needs to see because it`s so ridiculous. I plan on wiring a circuit to utilize the DRL (massive) RX350 9005 housing so that I can use it as distance lights and convert the 9005 to a 9011 for a grand total of ~11000 Lumens w/o fogs....... Yeah, the BMW`s have pretty good lighting and the current LED is impressive, but retrofitting with the right parts will put anything the modern OEM offers to shame, except Laser Lighting as far as output is concerned. Needless to say, there is more capability for your TL projectors in the form of a clear lens swap, upgraded bulbs, and projector tuning, if you don`t want to retrofit to RX350 projectors. For the Jeep, it depends on your budget, there is a lot of space in those headlights and one could utilize all of it, haha.

For simple auxiliary lighting that is plug and play/ bolt on, Baja Designs makes the best lighting. After being on the Rigid bandwagon, and then doing research about Baja Designs, I jumped the wagon. Baja Designs takes a modular approach where you can buy the different lenses for their lights and the lights are more lumen dense per comparable size, to other companies.

For possible LED bulb upgrades, VLED`s, Morimoto, GTR Lighting, and Diode Dynamics have pretty good products.

With regards to "purple lights", if the purple light is being emitted from a projector you are most likely seeing the top of the projector cutoff called the color band and observing the OEM`s shift towards using ~5500K bulbs, whereas they used to use ~4300K HID bulbs. There are many factors that go into lighting and could keep this post going on forever, so I`ll now stop. ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa - Thanks for the awesome, detailed, info !!!
    I am mechanically inclined and have even worked on multilayer pc boards at the assembly/rework/modifications level, so wiring, de-soldering, soldering, etc., using a dmm is easy..

You have obviously, done much research and I DID notice the huge light output in your Lexus lights in the picture - I just knew that was NOT stock.. Looks great, performs outstanding I am sure, and that pic you took was in the rain..

Both my vehicles have self-leveling lights, so whatever I do will not be blinding to others driving the opposite direction, so that is one good thing already..

I will for sure, check out all your info and see what I can do to improve the lighting...
    This will be fun !!!

The Acura, since the lights are much smaller and narrow could really use the help the most.. The stock HID`s are fine for around town, etc., but as we both know, on the dark, dark, highway at night, not so great..

And yes, the Jeep has huge lights in the last of the typical squarish design; the low beam HID reflector is around 8" in diameter alone, the high beam reflector is around 6" in diameter..

Great, great, help, Amigo !!!!!

Thanks so much !!!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I don`t need to waste bandwidth on a Rant about people running their fogs all the time because "all those lights look cool" or whyever they do it

All ours except the Crown Vic have fogs, and I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I`ve used them this century; just not that much fog in my area I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Spot on, that said there are LED bulbs that are designed for Halogen housings. Phillips uses a reverse firing design (Which I have in my tails) and Vleds makes a very $$$$ bulb called a triton series which uses "digital filament" to disperse light perfectly in a halogen/incandesent housing (which I also have in my turn signals). Both are VERY impressive.
    For either set of the bulbs mentioned are they "plug and play"? I`ve toyed with the idea of LED tails and blinkers in the past, but the bad optics and a need to add other electronic components which allow them to blink correctly and not throw codes due to voltage differences always held me back. I`m not thrilled with my tail lights. I feel both the brake lights and the blinkers are a bit dim during daylight/full sun scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    Hi,

I actually wrote a review on Philips X-treme Ultinon LED light before on another forum.
    For those interested you can click the link down there but let me show you some photos here

Conclusion:
    There is no glare and they provides a good amount of light.
    But the greenish tint color render (pun intended) them less ideal as fog or general lighting.
    No next time, Philips, particularly they are 50% more expensive than the major competitor but have lower wattage.

https://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2416277
    6500K lights are way too blue for me. I prefer the OEM 4500~5500 which are more in the daylight/white lite part of the spectrum. I like the idea though. They look like less of a hassle than a high quality HID kit. As long as you have a good projector housing for them....

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Guess I don`t need to waste bandwidth on a Rant about people running their fogs all the time because "all those lights look cool" or whyever they do it
    No real need, but you robbed us all of a post to "like". It drives me up the wall too.

All ours except the Crown Vic have fogs, and I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I`ve used them this century; just not that much fog in my area I guess.
    Most of my cars have them too. I`m not sure my wife and daughter even know how to turn them on! I`ve noticed most non-European cars in the US with fog lamps aren`t even designed to work as such. They aren`t even pointed in the right direction, i.e. down and to the side. I`ve lived all over and never had to use them in the US. However, when I lived in the UK, the only way I made it home from work several nights were my front fog lamps lighting up the stripes on the road to either side of my car and my rear fog lamp keeping someone from running me down from behind. At least once I remember driving with my wife and kids on the Motorway and all you could do was follow the rear fogs of the car in front of you. Fog too thick to see the tail lights or much else around you.

And speaking of rear fog lamps! I really doubt many Americans know what they are or the fact their European cars have them! It seems Volvo`s, Audi`s, Jags, and Range Rovers all them and they come on with the front fogs. When not in foggy/rainy/snowy conditions they are blinding to people behind them!

Too bad its not illegal and a ticketable offence to use fogs in clear weather like it is in the UK.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Yes indeed, the Rear Fogs are good to have. Especially with so many drivers being, uhm....the way they are.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information