Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Safety Prep Item: Check the Air Pressure in Your Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oh, and [Pedantic Hat ON]..quit spelling "gauge" the way...
    Sorry, I can see how that would offend your sensibilities, but it`s an accepted spelling where I come from...although admittedly perhaps not in the context of a pressure gauge.

gage
    [geyj]
    noun, verb (used with object), gaged, gag·ing. (chiefly in technical use)

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Noting that I`m awfully, uhm...Early 20th Century or even Old World...about such stuff, I looked it up and...lo and behold, you`re correct in the context of American Technical Usage.

Not trusting that particular source all that much, I then deferred the matter to Accumulatorette, who`s far more knowledgeable than I am. (Pro Copy Editor for University presses.) Thumbnail version is that both date to Middle English, and/but they have always had different meanings *EXCEPT* that in "gage" is indeed acceptable for (only/specifically) Technical Usage in American English. (Sheesh, the stuff she just *knows*.)

She then reminded me that "English changes", "dictionaries document, they don`t prescribe", and (noting that she`s generally a lot more pedantic about this stuff than I am), that I`m possibly just, uhm...raging against the Tides. [INSERT lie/lay, who/whom, and other stuff that drives me nuts]

Guess it`s a Q of how American and Technical this context is, and who am I to say?

So you`re not wrong! Not that I`m ever gonna leave out the U

Now that I`ve used up enough bandwidth, maybe I oughta shut up and go do something worthwhile, like... check my tires with that Meiser Tire GAUGE. You do keep me thinking

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, that spelling used to bother me, also, until I got older and it was so much easier than trying to remember where the "u" went :p

PS I envy your in-house language resource!

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Yes indeed, she`s simply great, in all respects. Meeting her was the best thing that ever happened to me. But yeah, specific to language(s), she`s really something else.

Heh heh, that`s the second time in two days that you`ve referred to your supposedly advanced age...even if I can`t bug you about erudite spellings, here`s Fair Warning- you`re wide open on the Aging thing! Soon I`ll be bugging you to join the (currently moribund) Health & Fitness thread " Nothin` but a number" and all that.

But TBH, yeah..that tripped me up for a good while and finally [ticked] me off enough that I thought on it and came up with my mnemonic : GA as in "Georgia the State", zero idea why, but that just works for me. Funny that seeing "GAGES" every time I fired up the Mallett didn`t prompt me to figure it out then..

Post Thanks / Like

I was taught that the correct spelling is "gauge". I wonder if it`s a generational and/or a regional thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    I was taught that the correct spelling is "gauge". I wonder if it`s a generational and/or a regional thing.
    I suspect that once certain folks saw it without the "U" they figured it was OK to just simplify it to "gage" all the time, regardless of context.

Post Thanks / Like

Gauge (gage?) accuracy is one thing, checking it with a specific TYPE of gauge (My preferred spelling) is another. At least using a gauge, even a stick-type that may be 15% inaccurate, is better than just "eyeballing" it, like I see so many people do at a gas station air pump. I`ve offered my old Sears analog gauge to individuals pumping up their tires, and it is surprising how many of those individuals do not realize they are 5-10 PSI OVER-inflated. That can be just as dangerous as under-inflated, especially in snow or on ice, or when they hit a pothole and can damage or puncture the sidewall.

Three types of gauges:
    Digital are easiest to use and read.
    Analog are accurate and the fact that you have a numbered dial for the air pressure value gives you a reference point to go by (gage?) how much you have or need. The pressure tube also "compensates" for the ambient barometric pressure and elevation and temperature.
    Stick-type are the cheapest and probably the most common, but their accuracy is not that great.

I still suggest that you check your tire pressure when the tires are cold. But if you see your tire(s) looks low when filling up with gas after coming of an extended highway-speed run, filling it (them) up to the recommended tire pressure is not a bad idea.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

It`s getting cold here and my TP light came on. I have not checked them in a while, one was a little low. When I empty the trunk I will check the spare.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that once certain folks saw it without the "U" they figured it was OK to just simplify it to "gage" all the time, regardless of context.
    Being that I might be "certain folks"...yeah, maybe you`ve got me on that one...but at my advanced age, who has time to figure out where the "u" goes...and besides think of how much more time I`ll have if I just don`t type that "u" at all?? Here`s some more "certain folks"--I think they are even making money out of dropping the "u": What is a Gage R&R study?

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- They get a pass since it`s a Technical Publication

(BTW, I got a chuckle out of the assumptions implicit in that title, another case of how choosing to be amused, rather than insulted, makes my life a lot more enjoyable).

And there you go with that "age" stuff again Sheesh, my father didn`t start washing his own car until he was 70 and I don`t think he ran a polisher until he was nearly 80.

Lonnie- I firmly believe that humans are analog creatures. I`ve used nice digital gauges, but never really liked `em as well as the old dial-type.

Some of my inaccurate ones (hello Griot`s ) are at least pretty consistent, to where I can compensate OK and get awfully close.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator and Setec Astronomy:
    Hey, I get "offended" when I see professional publications and ad copy that "misuse" the like-sounding English words (Darn auto correct will NOT let me use the unisex-sounding term for them!) of "to", "too", and "two" or "there", "their", and "they`re", let along "alternate" spellings to "preferred" spellings. That is what happens when you`ve had your own mother in high school for a whole year of Junior English class and then go on to higher education (and a career) in the mechanical design/engineering drawing-&-graphics area with a perfectionist as a teacher. Being an Obsessive-Compulsive Detailer (OCD) just compounds the problem, but maybe that is where I get it from!
    Just saying`.................
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- I still think it`s great that your Mother values such stuff, it clearly rubbed off.

And yeah..just get me going...I can barely read our local newspaper, it`s like some Jr. High "find the errors" assignment.

[INSERT rant about how College has become a white-collar Trade School, producing people who are ignorant about anything not in their presumed career field]

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- I still think it`s great that your Mother values such stuff, it clearly rubbed off.

And yeah..just get me going...I can barely read our local newspaper, it`s like some Jr. High "find the errors" assignment.

[INSERT rant about how College has become a white-collar Trade School, producing people who are ignorant about anything not in their presumed career field]
    College rant- All they’re doing is teaching kids to pass tests. If the kids drop out,the gov’t. loan money stops. No one is teaching analytical thinking.

Colleges are all about the $$. A shame.

Post Thanks / Like

Older- Oh, just get me going on Higher Ed. IME, if the students learn the material, the tests are no big deal. My students would [gripe] about how hard the course was, but they could nail the exams easy-peasy and even find the errors on my colleagues` materials and exams. But yeah, I did have to set aside the actual Course Material for a week or two every semester to simply focus on basic Critical Thinking that they should`ve learned years before...like, when they were young children. "I don`t care, you can`t process what I teach with your current Thinking Skills. I`ll sign off on any Drop Requests, but if you want to stay and pass this course you gotta know learn to think better.."

[Accumulator and his wife both taught at the local C&T.]

Post Thanks / Like

I just had to add pressure in all four of my tires. Definitely check yours even if you live in Florida.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information