Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Safety Prep Item: Check the Air Pressure in Your Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Apparently I haven`t had enough time to learn about Kammler...

EDIT: Quick Google of Kammler...that`s starting to sound like the zero point story from a few years ago...LOL
    Bingo Don`t *you* start forgetting stuff.....

I`d like to add that you should use the same tire gauge every time, if possible.
    And be sure it`s been calibrated. I don`t mind switching between gauges that`ve been calibrated.

FWIW, once I got a pair of genuinely calibrated (test specs were included) ones, I found that *NONE* of my others were within an acceptable range. Not one of `em. Some were off by a country mile.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m bad when it comes to replacing tires based purely on age. Never bitten me yet, but I`m sure not advocating that others do as I do. If I waited until they exhibited tread wear some of mine would *never* get replaced, but/so even I have my limits, but still...no way will I replace all my tires every five years. I don`t even drive some of my cars that often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

Can you share the make/model of the nitrogen generator at work?
    Nitrofill NF-520

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    It is true because tire compound age has something to do with this as witnessed by tire sidewall cracking (AKA, tire rot) that occurs near the rim. Ozone is the biggest enemy of tire rubber compounds followed by heat induced into the tire, either from running at high speeds and aggressive driving (cornering) or towing or hauling a heavy load. Rim material also plays a part in this, as steel is more dense than aluminum or magnesium, so a steel rim will not loose air pressure as fast as aluminum. Not sure where carbon fiber rims fits into this category.

As since we are on the subject of air pressure loss subject to tire age, a new study (not sure who did this, like Consumer`s Report or AAA) suggests that tires be replaced every five years due to tire rot and sidewall degradation for safety reasons regardless of how many miles are on the tire. On daily drivers that may be true, but for garage queens and collector cars that only see the sun (not rain!) a few times a year with OEM (Original Equipment of Manufacturer), that is a problem. Collectors know that finding original old OEM tires to have a truly 100-point concourse year/era-correct vehicle, (Not New tires made from the original molds or New Old Stock (NOS)) is almost impossible and when they do, the price is astronomical, depending on the condition. That said, vehicles that are more than 50-years old are probably shod with some non-OEM aftermarket tire or an NOS OEM tire because the old original OEM (sorry about the double-double term!) tires have rotted away and are simply not useable, just so the vehicle is drivable and road-worthy.
    Is that 5 years from the date embossed on the side of the tire? I always wait for the tread to wear out or signs of dry rot. I bought a new 2006 VW Jetta and had to replace the tires after one year due to dry rot on the inside facing portion of the tire. No VW did not replace or warranty the tires, much to my dismay.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are lucky. I wind up replacing tires every 3 years. Both the summer and winter sets. Those low-profile performance tires just don’t last much past 20-25k miles.

Accumulator,where do you get your tire gauges calibrated?
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I always stay on top of tire pressures, especially when it’s cold, and it has started to get cold. Usually about every 6-8 weeks I will check. (Sometimes sooner Checked them this morning (6 vehicles). The 16 tundra (Bridgestone Duelers were only down 2 lbs. (nitrogen filled) although I have added regular air a few times. 17 Highlander with toyo open countrys were down 6psi and it doesn’t get driven that much. Thought that was a little strange. 06 Ridgeline down 4psi What tire gauges do Yal like I have 3. A slime 0-60. A victor and a pencil gauge. The pencil and slime gauge read the same. Victor is 1psi different the last time I compared. The slime one is what I use

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    I always stay on top of tire pressures, especially when it’s cold, and it has started to get cold. Usually about every 6-8 weeks I will check. (Sometimes sooner Checked them this morning (6 vehicles). The 16 tundra (Bridgestone Duelers were only down 2 lbs. (nitrogen filled) although I have added regular air a few times. 17 Highlander with toyo open countrys were down 6psi and it doesn’t get driven that much. Thought that was a little strange. 06 Ridgeline down 4psi What tire gauges do Yal like I have 3. A slime 0-60. A victor and a pencil gauge. The pencil and slime gauge read the same. Victor is 1psi different the last time I compared. The slime one is what I use

Post Thanks / Like

I use an old Moroso,(USA made) analog 0-60psi model with a hose that has an integral bleeder.

Fortunately, our cars have TPMS and surprisingly enough, it`s within 1-2 lbs. of the gauge reading.

I also have TPMS in the winter wheel/tire set-ups.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishroes- That Victor 4 X 4 looks identical to one of my AccuGauges.

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    You guys are lucky. I wind up replacing tires every 3 years. Both the summer and winter sets. Those low-profile performance tires just don’t last much past 20-25k miles../
    We don`t put 20K on a car for..gee, I dunno... that`d take us forever!

Accumulator,where do you get your tire gauges calibrated?
    I forget wherfe I bought `em, but I got two AccuGauge (sp? they might spell it weirdly) ones and they didn`t agree with each other or with my other gauges. So I contacted the seller, who connected me with Meiser and I sent them in. They sent them back working in complete agreement and with a test sheet.
    G.H. Meiser & Co.

18770 88th Ave Suite B
    Mokena, IL 60448 USA
    Telephone: 815-534-5578

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know if these are the same people that used to make the gages for Brookstone back when...Jimmy Carter was president, but if they are, the Made In USA current equiv. seems to sell for $100. I still have a couple of those old Brookstone`s. Problem is the rubber got old and I got tired of fighting that so I bought some Chinese ones from Amazon that seem to work.

https://www.ghmeiser.com/index.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, so they do use that, uhm...cutesy spelling.

Setec Astronomy- They might be the same as your old Brookstone ones, Meiser`s been around since forever. I was shocked how my other gauges, even some pricey ones, differed from the calibrated Meisers, not talking "a pound or two" difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a bluepoint TPGDL1000C. $146 in today’s retail dollars been amazing accurate for over 10 years I have had it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I use a bluepoint TPGDL1000C. $146 in today’s retail dollars been amazing accurate for over 10 years I have had it.

Ahhh,Bluepoint. Nice. I`m not friends with my local Snap-On guy anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Setec Astronomy- They might be the same as your old Brookstone ones, Meiser`s been around since forever. I was shocked how my other gauges, even some pricey ones, differed from the calibrated Meisers, not talking "a pound or two" difference.
    Might be worth me checking with them to see if they indeed are the mfr. and sell replacement seals. Thanks for posting their info. They sure don`t make it easy to find/buy their domestic "old style" product, though. Coincidentally, one of the major reasons I bought a new gage was my old ones are 0-60, and I needed something that went higher for inflating compact spares as has come up in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Since they do rebuilds they oughta be able to help with the seals...if they did make it.

Glad I don`t have any compact spares..hadn`t thought about the higher psi for those.

Oh, and [Pedantic Hat ON]..quit spelling "gauge" the way the instrument panel of my final `vette did...that drove me *NUTS* every [flippin`] time I started the car and seriously diminished my enjoyment of the thing. [OK, Pedantic Hat OFF]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information