Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Safety Prep Item: Check the Air Pressure in Your Tires

Eh, some of that seems awfully close to "stuff everybody should know" IMO. And heh heh, when it comes to arcane stuff ya learn by not making better use of your time...well, Kammler and his Bell always come to mind in these exchanges with you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    excatly, when NASCAR teams fill a tire. First they vacuum pull the tire too just shy of pulling the tire bead. Then they nitrogen fill, and then vacuum pull it again. They do this 3 or 4 times. This way it`s the least amount of moisture, and the most amount of nitrogen. I asked Tad and Jody (JTG Dougherty racing) about this when my wife and I were their gusts. He took me over to where Goodyear mounts and balances tires, and had them show us how it was done. I asked about it because I had wondered about the air already in the tire when it`s mounted.
    Yeah, the problem is if you have liquid water, it`s going to be hard to get that out without doing some vacuum drying (which it sounds like they are sort of doing)...hopefully the one fill during the bead seating doesn`t put too much water vapor in there. But there are simpler ways to do it if you`re a racing team or a tire company at the race track...you could just seat the bead with nitrogen to begin with. I don`t know, maybe I`m missing something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Eh, some of that seems awfully close to "stuff everybody should know" IMO. And heh heh, when it comes to arcane stuff ya learn by not making better use of your time...well, Kammler and his Bell always come to mind in these exchanges with you
    Apparently I haven`t had enough time to learn about Kammler....(have to look that up). Maybe there are things that everybody should know, but compressed air theory isn`t really something you delve into unless you are the guy at work who gets chosen to pick out the new air compressor.

EDIT: Quick Google of Kammler...that`s starting to sound like the zero point story from a few years ago...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see the spare tire mentioned - it’s very common to find them virtually flat when checking them at maintenance services.

I’m also in the camp of just topping off nitrogen tires with plain air. So many cars I see with the nitrogen caps are just as low if not lower than “regular air” tires. It seems the owners have been sold on the concept that the tires just won’t go low...
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d like to add that you should use the same tire gauge every time, if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Step 1: Get the correct tires.

All seasons are simply not in the same category as dedicated seasonal tires. I just threw on my blizzaks, what a difference.
    Agreed. I`ve been using dedicated winter tires for over 20 years.

Once you do, you`ll never go back.
    Likes MattPersman, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    We`ll see on that one. I know the Vredstein`s have gotten good reviews now that they sell them at TireRack, but the older versions were not very impressive. And the tread life, and of the Nokian`s, wasn`t very good. At least the older versions, IMO, these were the epitome of the "good at nothing" tire, or whatever that all-season tire criticism was...again, IMO--not noticeably better in the snow than a good all-season, and noticeably worse in wear, noise, and warm weather handling than a good all-season.
    They remind me of a "synthetic oil blend". A waste of money. Either use synthetic or petroleum oil.
    Likes MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Glad to see the spare tire mentioned - it’s very common to find them virtually flat when checking them at maintenance services.
    Yes, good tip...for people who aren`t going to just call roadside assistance...which I guess is us.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I’m also in the camp of just topping off nitrogen tires with plain air. So many cars I see with the nitrogen caps are just as low if not lower than “regular air” tires. It seems the owners have been sold on the concept that the tires just won’t go low...
    I guess it`s kind of like the "oh, my car is clearcoated, it doesn`t need to be waxed". I guess the question is...don`t these people have TPMS, and do they just ignore it? And of course half the tires rolling around have a screw or nail stuck in them...one time I got an allen wrench stuck in one of mine...could hear that, though Made it home before it went flat. The tire place (that I referred to before) had nothing to say about it...I guess they`ve seen wackier stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

The NFL says that temperature has nothing to do with air pressure!
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    The NFL says that temperature has nothing to do with air pressure!
    Those QB’s that have the guns to launch that misille 50 yards straight as a string benefit from helium in the balls.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a nitro machine at my work for tires and I don’t fill my own personal with it. I just use the normal shop air.

Like mentioned it’s already 80% give or take nitro. People with nitro in the tires still seem to magically need top offs cause the tire light came on. No magic about keeping them filled for life. Some tires just seem to lose air more so than others. Probably why some tires take dressing better than others lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m also on the run a winter tire side of the fence. Although there are years you wonder if it was worth it. It’s still cheaper than a collision or 2

I also like to run more Psi like accumulator does. Heck I ran near double in 1 car

Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Like mentioned it’s already 80% give or take nitro. People with nitro in the tires still seem to magically need top offs cause the tire light came on. No magic about keeping them filled for life. Some tires just seem to lose air more so than others.
    The argument is that nitrogen will leak less, not that it won`t leak at all (but I guess they sell it that way). I`m not sure the argument even holds up, I`ll have to look into that at some point if I have time and I think of it. There are other good reasons not to have oxygen in there, however...not sure how that argument holds up, either.

Certainly different tires have different permeability which can change with age and temperature, and there are all the variables of wheel condition (both porosity and bead leaks, not to mention valve stem leaks, through or around), plus unrepaired punctures.

Can you share the make/model of the nitrogen generator at work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I have a nitro machine at my work for tires and I don’t fill my own personal with it. I just use the normal shop air.

Like mentioned it’s already 80% give or take nitro. People with nitro in the tires still seem to magically need top offs cause the tire light came on. No magic about keeping them filled for life. Some tires just seem to lose air more so than others. Probably why some tires take dressing better than others lol

It is true because tire compound age has something to do with this as witnessed by tire sidewall cracking (AKA, tire rot) that occurs near the rim. Ozone is the biggest enemy of tire rubber compounds followed by heat induced into the tire, either from running at high speeds and aggressive driving (cornering) or towing or hauling a heavy load. Rim material also plays a part in this, as steel is more dense than aluminum or magnesium, so a steel rim will not loose air pressure as fast as aluminum. Not sure where carbon fiber rims fits into this category.

As since we are on the subject of air pressure loss subject to tire age, a new study (not sure who did this, like Consumer`s Report or AAA) suggests that tires be replaced every five years due to tire rot and sidewall degradation for safety reasons regardless of how many miles are on the tire. On daily drivers that may be true, but for garage queens and collector cars that only see the sun (not rain!) a few times a year with OEM (Original Equipment of Manufacturer), that is a problem. Collectors know that finding original old OEM tires to have a truly 100-point concourse year/era-correct vehicle, (Not New tires made from the original molds or New Old Stock (NOS)) is almost impossible and when they do, the price is astronomical, depending on the condition. That said, vehicles that are more than 50-years old are probably shod with some non-OEM aftermarket tire or an NOS OEM tire because the old original OEM (sorry about the double-double term!) tires have rotted away and are simply not useable, just so the vehicle is drivable and road-worthy.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    As since we are on the subject of air pressure loss subject to tire age, a new study (not sure who did this, like Consumer`s Report or AAA) suggests that tires be replaced every five years due to tire rot and sidewall degradation for safety reasons regardless of how many miles are on the tire.
    Boy we had a heated discussion about this in a thread here or AGO started by Swanic, or about Swanic using his 10 year old spare to drive around on. Lot of factors here...they could use better rubber compounds that would have a longer life, but that would be more expensive and what percentage of tires go past 5 years between wearout and puncture? For various reasons, almost all the cars in my sphere of influence (family and friends) have or will have tires that are more than 5 years old...that`s a lot of tires to throw out just on GP`s. And what about your spare tire that`s never been used (oh wait, I do have one that I used a couple of times)?

There`s no question that rubber degrades, but some of it is due to the rubber, and some to conditions...complicated.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information