Post Thanks / Like

New audio system in my car

Ok, got this done a few days ago but finally able to post some pics. Monster audio system. JL audio amps and subs. Hertz Mille speakers with a 3 way front stage.

First up, the subs! 2 10” JL audio 10Tw1’s in custom fiberglass boxes.

Next, the brains of the operation. Sorta. Fix 82 and vxi hub.

These might be the actual brains, depending on how you look at it. 2 5 channel vxi’s pushing 700 Watts each- 100 on each speaker channel and 300 to each of the two subs.

Custom A pillars for the 3way front stage. Tweeters and the 3” mid range are in here. As a reminder, it’s a Hertz Mille 3 way front stage, with Mille coax speakers in the rear deck. We dropped the rear door speakers and the center.

Control knob mounted in the center console. Bottom dial will fade the rear speakers up or down, which is nice for when I’ve got my dogs in the car. Top knob is for sub volume. It’s clickable, which switches between tunes. 1st is standard 3 way, with rear speakers(I like rear fill) and all speakers are time aligned to hit the drivers ears at the same instant. 2nd goes to a front stage only stereo mode. Tuned for having a passenger and it imaging for both. Forgot to take a pic but there’s an indicator light in the cup holder, red or green, so I know which tune I’m on.

2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New audio system in my car

The two custom pieces (sub box and pillars) look awesome! The wiring is not up to the same quality IMO. Also whats with all the staging stuff? My Pioneer 2din unit has a bunch of time alignment settings and presets. AVH-X2800BS (and its almost bottom line double din radio). Then you wouldnt need the Fix82 and the extra wiring. Looks in general like a really sweet install and if you have to keep the factory head unit then probably had to be done.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Yes had to keep the factory headunit. The time alignment is done by the vxi amps with built in Twk software. The Fix flattens the factory signal and sums all the inputs together, since we dropped the center channel we had to sum that in.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Nice and clean installation!

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, I like how you integrated the Good Stuff with your oe headunit, which I suspect was already pretty decent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- Ah, I like how you integrated the Good Stuff with your oe headunit, which I suspect was already pretty decent.
    The factory system was pretty decent but once you go to the dark side as an audiophile, decent just doesn’t cut it.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, it`s been so long since I had a truly decent system that I`m probably just clueless Sheesh, the oe system in the Tahoe sounds good to me these days! But compared to the oe in the Crown Vic, well... at least the Tahoe`s sounds like music. Kinda.

The systems in the Audis are all kinda surprising...and not in a good way. The one in the A8, uhm...just isn`t good.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, it`s been so long since I had a truly decent system that I`m probably just clueless Sheesh, the oe system in the Tahoe sounds good to me these days! But compared to the oe in the Crown Vic, well... at least the Tahoe`s sounds like music. Kinda.

The systems in the Audis are all kinda surprising...and not in a good way. The one in the A8, uhm...just isn`t good.
    Hermano,
    Does your A8 have the Bang&Olufsen equipment?
    It supposed to be really nice.. I have never heard one of those set ups in a vehicle yet..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Jrock645:
    There is a great deal of difference between an audiophile and a sound engineer: kind of like the difference between a car cleaner and a true professional detailer. What you have done boarders on true audio engineering. Knowing what audio equipment does and how to make it work/function together effectively and then install it all; well that has my utmost respect (but then again, I am easily impressed, according my wife.)

I never did understand WHY some make automotive sound systems so loud, you cannot HEAR the music; but then again, I have a hearing impairment from attending too many stock car and Road America racing events in my younger days without hearing protection and listening to Boston`s "Long Time" and the like through headphones cranked to the max at home to avoid parental disapproval.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Hermano,
    Does your A8 have the Bang&Olufsen equipment?
    Nah, our Audis are too old for that.

The systems in some of our Service Loaners sure sound nice, too bad they have the MMI/fancy controls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Jrock645:
    There is a great deal of difference between an audiophile and a sound engineer: kind of like the difference between a car cleaner and a true professional detailer. What you have done boarders on true audio engineering. Knowing what audio equipment does and how to make it work/function together effectively and then install it all; well that has my utmost respect (but then again, I am easily impressed, according my wife.)

I never did understand WHY some make automotive sound systems so loud, you cannot HEAR the music; but then again, I have a hearing impairment from attending too many stock car and Road America racing events in my younger days without hearing protection and listening to Boston`s "Long Time" and the like through headphones cranked to the max at home to avoid parental disapproval.

To be clear, I picked the equipment but paid a few really pretty pennies for someone else to install it. A lot of it I could have done, but not the custom fab work. There was just no way around it- I wanted a 3 way front stage and I didn’t want to lose pass through for the trunk, or much trunk space.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

That looks good. Really digging the sub box in the trunk!

I`m so far behind on audio, I have no clue what you were saying. I recently unpacked some old amps (one was JL Audio, forget what the other two were). Pulled out my old Alpine head unit (hadn`t used it since I sold the CRX I had it in). I plan to install it in the daily driven Yaris, along with some speaker upgrades. I think one of the OEM ones is finally blown. Plus, I want a better sound now.

THEN. Got an old MiniDisc (yes) head unit to go into the Jeep. Not sure if I`ll add amps and speakers to that just yet. Time to replace the stock cassette player in that thing.
    Likes jrock645, Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information