Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Recharge

Post Thanks / Like

AC Recharge

Do the cans of stuff you buy at Autozone really work? Has anybody had any luck with them?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AC Recharge

Quote Originally Posted by carnut00
    Do the cans of stuff you buy at Autozone really work? Has anybody had any luck with them?
    Yes assuming all that is wrong with your system is that it is a little low on refrigerant. Too many people get carried away and reason that if a little is good more is better. This can be a real problem as compressor pressure can build dramatically and can be very dangerous. Follow the directions carefully, if the charge you put in doesn`t make a noticeable difference take it to someone who fully understands the system. Leaks are common and systems that are completely empty will rapidly loose anything you just put in, don`t keep feeding it. If you don`t notice a change in air temperature output at the vents stop. This is one of those maintenance items that if you aren`t completely comfortable with it leave it to a professional. I`ve been on the professional side of it. I`ve seen systems destroyed because the backyard mechanic took it too far. Having a pro charge your system may seem expensive however they usually do a host of checks along with adding the refrigerant. These checks will often tell you if you have additional problems. A major repair on a system can run hundreds and on occasions thousands of dollars.

Here`s a side note. I used to turn wrenches and one of the part time mechanics in our shop was a college football player. He had no business working on an A/C system. He decided however that it wasn`t a problem. We used to charge systems out of 20 lb. containers (they resemble a propane tank) he hooked the hose up to the wrong side of the system while holding the container opened the valve. High side line pressures can reach and exceed 400 lbs. per square inch, the tank blew and split his thigh to the bone. It ruined the last two years of college ball for him.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the EZ chill recharge kit on 4 seperate vehicles with great results. Got my kits at Walmarts and Schucks. Like previously stated, follow directions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    Yes assuming all that is wrong with your system is that it is a little low on refrigerant. Too many people get carried away and reason that if a little is good more is better. This can be a real problem as compressor pressure can build dramatically and can be very dangerous. Follow the directions carefully, if the charge you put in doesn`t make a noticeable difference take it to someone who fully understands the system. Leaks are common and systems that are completely empty will rapidly loose anything you just put in, don`t keep feeding it. If you don`t notice a change in air temperature output at the vents stop. This is one of those maintenance items that if you aren`t completely comfortable with it leave it to a professional. I`ve been on the professional side of it. I`ve seen systems destroyed because the backyard mechanic took it too far. Having a pro charge your system may seem expensive however they usually do a host of checks along with adding the refrigerant. These checks will often tell you if you have additional problems. A major repair on a system can run hundreds and on occasions thousands of dollars.

Here`s a side note. I used to turn wrenches and one of the part time mechanics in our shop was a college football player. He had no business working on an A/C system. He decided however that it wasn`t a problem. We used to charge systems out of 20 lb. containers (they resemble a propane tank) he hooked the hose up to the wrong side of the system while holding the container opened the valve. High side line pressures can reach and exceed 400 lbs. per square inch, the tank blew and split his thigh to the bone. It ruined the last two years of college ball for him.
    Yep take it to a trained professional. It is not worth losing a limb, eye or worse.

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

I used them in the past on the old R12 systems, and one of my workers did it on his truck (he changed over from R12 to R134) last year with great results.

As others have said it`s a matter of following directions.

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Im gonna try it. Thanks for the replys.

Post Thanks / Like

Refrigerant doesn`t get "used up". If it is low, that means there is a leak in your system. you should get it fixed rather then apply a temporary band-aid solution.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    Refrigerant doesn`t get "used up". If it is low, that means there is a leak in your system.
    Actually many systems that are considered to be working properly lose up to .5 lbs of refrigerant per year without having a detectable leak. Most of this is due to the compressor`s main seal. Newer compressors are beginning to use a newer formulation ceramic composite seals these systems are supposed to lose less than previous systems.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't shop at Wal-Mart
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is colder than R12. These new "safer" R134 systems just dont get as cold. I am sure the guys in the south will agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I would get it fixed but the car is over 10 years old and I got an estimate to get it recharged and leak tested which was close to 500 dollars. Not gonna happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes. That shouldn`t cost more than $150 for an a/c performance test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CARTfan
    Yikes. That shouldn`t cost more than $150 for an a/c performance test.
    Ditto on that note.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy refrigerant with dye in it to detect leaks in your system. Most of the time it is the compressor seal. It is absolutely imperative that you hook the recharge line up to the low side to recharge. If you do not have a manual to tell you which orfice that is... Take it to a professional. I would also advise buying the recharge kit with a guage. Overfilling the system can have ill effects. if the systems is extemely low, it needs to be pumped down to help it take a complete charge. That means to vacuum the system with a vacuum pump. Specilized equipment to say the least. I have one and a
    manifold to pressure test. You can get these at Harbor Freight. About 100 bucks. If you do not work on cars much, you might want to just take it in.

PS The manifold is 100 bucks. The pump I got from a HVAC man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnut00
    Well I would get it fixed but the car is over 10 years old and I got an estimate to get it recharged and leak tested which was close to 500 dollars. Not gonna happen.
    WOW someone is trying to rip you off. My buddy owns his own shop and his rate is 35.00 for the dye 35.00 for the A/C Recharge then 35.00 per pound of freon. This service usually runs about 135.00 then once it stops blowing cold you bring the car back and he finds the leak. Although the R12 is 60.00 per pound.

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Carnut: What type of system is in the car now R134 or R12, I`ve heard numbers that high for converting, but I thought that they would have come down with the DIY kits.

Richard:
    I didn`t know that they would recharge with R12 anymore

"J"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information