Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got an estimate for an all AMSOIL fluid change (motor/trans/diff) is this a good price?

I posted this on my Camaro forum. Got a lot of looks, but no responses, so I thought I`d ask here:

I just called a local speed shop that deals in AMSOIL exclusively. The guy on the phone said they use the XL-Series because the Signature Series is overly expensive overkill if you don`t run double bypass filters like AMSOIL recommends.

For the trans (manual) and diff, they would use the proper gear lube with the additive for the limited slip. He also said they have to pull the diff cover and do a "clean out" before replacing the fluid.

Total `out the door` price on the services is +/- $265 with tax etc.

Now I know some will be saying "Just do it yourself and save the labor fees." BUT it`s currently 19* WITHOUT wind chill and I have no garage or place do do it myself in this weather, so I`m good with the shop fees this time.

I just need to know if this is a decent rate for what I`m getting?
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Just got an estimate for an all AMSOIL fluid change (motor/trans/diff) is this a good price?

My official opinion is "Amsoil Lolz".... Just use Mobil1 ESP.

Amsoil is like washing your car with gallons of water bottled from a natural spring in France. Then importing it to Germany for packaging.

But in the scheme of things, I don`t think the price is too bad... Prolly what my BMW dealer charges for an oil change.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just got an estimate for an all AMSOIL fluid change (motor/trans/diff) is this a good price?

An honest opinion, any more?
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just got an estimate for an all AMSOIL fluid change (motor/trans/diff) is this a good price?

I am with Swanic on this. Price sounds reasonable for what you are doing (oil change, tranny, rear diff I am assuming).

However, you could do a lot worse than running Mobil1 full synthetic or ESP and just changing your oil whenever the manufacturer recommends.

If you`re already in there changing everything out, just use whatever gives you the warm fuzzies. Amsoil is good, but there are "just as good" products out there for less $$ (Mobil1 etc.)

Nick

EDIT - I was not paid for this endorsement of Mobil1

"Bob is the Oil Guy" is the Autopia equivalent of all things motor oil, might have better luck reading/posting there on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    An honest opinion, any more?

Post Thanks / Like

Pricing is highly dependent on geography. You wouldn`t get all that labor and materials in SoCal for $265, you`d probably pay twice that. A simple (drain) engine oil and filter change with Motul 300V on a small-ish engine (2.0L turbo) is about $150 here.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Motul person myself, mobil 1 is.. meh for me. the price looks fine. (I use to work as a mechanic at an independent shop. EDIT: and I ran it when the owner is out).

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to learn the latest in oil tec Google tst training video on you tube..

Post Thanks / Like

i used to run AMSOIL but it got harder to find dealers as time went on. I eventually switched to Mobil1 and never noticed any difference. Granted, I never took any samples to have analysis made, but that would be overkill anyway.

Like others have said, the quote seems reasonable. I think I paid 150-175 to do similar to my Cherokee, and didn`t even get to the diffs! And that was using "cheap stuff"

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad price for those services. I would also pay for those pain getting under car like that with out a lift. Mobil1 man my self.

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you need all fluids replaced with amsoil for what appears to be a stock v6 Camaro? Change the oil with a quality synthetic if you`re so inclined and be on your way for much cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

Way 2 much advice on oil you better check the facts your self.. A lot has changed while you were sleeping dr floyd...

Post Thanks / Like

Don I am a preferred customer and my mebership is set to expire in May of 2017. If you wish to order some of those liquids, I would be happy to help you. I have never used it to order anything for anyone else but if you wish to try then let me know. Amsoil is currently having a promotion until Tuesday.

I plan to give their oil a shot. I do like their air filters as I have a custom air filter for the cold air intake in my Grand Prix.

$5 off orders over $50+
    $10 off orders over $100+
    $15 off orders over $150+
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2quikta View Post
    Why do you need all fluids replaced with amsoil for what appears to be a stock v6 Camaro? Change the oil with a quality synthetic if you`re so inclined and be on your way for much cheaper.
    Because I`m almost at 50K miles which is when it`s recommended that I get the trans & diff fluids changed. I started with AMSOIL in 2002, but like JustJesus my dealer up and left & the only other source was ordering it on the `net. Besides I DID check, and AMSOIL 5W30 XL is $8.80 qt and Mobil 1 Ext Perf is $10.00 qt. Not much a difference, but if you`re saying go less expensive ... It IS just a stock V6 Camaro, but it`s still MY baby and I treat all my cars like this to try and make them last 200,000 miles or more. My last car made it to 165,000 until it was totaled by a drunk

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    i used to run AMSOIL but it got harder to find dealers as time went on. I eventually switched to Mobil1 and never noticed any difference. Granted, I never took any samples to have analysis made, but that would be overkill anyway.

Like others have said, the quote seems reasonable. I think I paid 150-175 to do similar to my Cherokee, and didn`t even get to the diffs! And that was using "cheap stuff"
    I know what you mean about it being hard to find locally.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

So what are you getting for 265? Oil change, manual trans and rear diff?

All amsoil? Sounds pretty average depending on your financial area. Figure round 80 for a synth oil change. Trans and diff usually around 85-100 each obviously diff is gonna add cost of RTv to reseal the cover unless it`s a cover that uses a gasket which is not too common now a days. I work on cars for a living fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    So what are you getting for 265? Oil change, manual trans and rear diff?

All amsoil? Sounds pretty average depending on your financial area. Figure round 80 for a synth oil change. Trans and diff usually around 85-100 each obviously diff is gonna add cost of RTv to reseal the cover unless it`s a cover that uses a gasket which is not too common now a days. I work on cars for a living fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, all three - engine, manual transmission and limited slip differential. Like I just mentioned, I think they said they would have to pull the rear end cover IF there was no drain plug, and I think his books told him there was, so no cover pull.

I know at the stealership, it was well over $120 for an oil change (to be nice, they rotated the tires too).
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information