Thread: Window tint

Post Thanks / Like

Window tint

Looking at getting my windows tinted and curious what you guys are paying for similar vehicles. Average price I`ve found is $180 for a 2012 Silverado.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Window tint

It depends on the reputation of the shop and the quality of the film. I`ve had good shops install cheap film and I`ve had bad installations of expensive films.

$180 sounds about right to me (assuming it`s for 3-5 windows of tinting)

Post Thanks / Like

200 for 3 windows 250 for 5 windows cash and the guy is amazing at it 20 years plus experience. I did my old toy car my truck and have an appointment next week for the new Camaro.

Post Thanks / Like

Shop uses llumar film and the 180 is for all 5 windows plus a strip on the windshield

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what kind of llumar, most likely non ceramic. I paid around 500 for all my windows including windshield an sunroof with llumar ctx and airblue (both ceramic). If you want ceramic expect pay atleast double.

Post Thanks / Like

llumar films are good.

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic IR reduction expensive. Reg tint not too expensive. Probably 200 difference between the two for an entire car

Tons of people and places do it.

I had several cars done with normal tint by different people and or shops. And two vehicles have been done with the ceramic IR blocking blah blah tint and maybe I`m thick headed but after a few weeks of hoping it was going to be a lot better I just haven`t seen it. I would on our next vehicle (later this year) get regular old tint done by the guy who does our dealership and several others around town.

Most name brand films are good now a days just go with a person or shop that is reputable everyone makes mistakes at times like defect in tint, tiny dirt spec under the film etc. just ask how they are at fixing it now a days they typically will just take care of you no questions asked to do one window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Related Q: which (top-qulaity) films are Radar Detector-friendly? Might have to have the Crown Vic redone some day...
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FormulaOne by llumar, 3M Crystalline....alot of this recommendation is going to boil down to local dealer and the installer. As like anything in life, the installer is KEY....

It`s all in the details ya know. Shaving the tint to -the edge~ etc.
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought about the radar detector not working with tint. Summer is coming and I need my windows tinted bad. The BMW 335d has a lot of window area and gets very hot very fast. We only have one installer in my town, I need to go and see what type film he offers. Window tint is kind of a mystery to me.

Post Thanks / Like

As a gentle reminder......for us paint marring nutz, when you go to your shop of choice, just tell them to not wipe the paint panels and or just be explicit about that

The tint dude will go to town cleaning/prepping the window prior. By that time, you will have lotsa solution on your panels already....
    Then he does the cutting, etc - so tons of slip solution on the glass again, etc, etc.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    As a gentle reminder......for us paint marring nutz, when you go to your shop of choice...
    I`d be there in person. Up close. IF their shop regs prohibited that I`d go elsewhere or even blow off the whole thing. There`s simply no way I`d trust anybody I don`t know to be doing that work on one of my vehicles unsupervised.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally have tried many tints, brands and styles since living in South Florida.
    Llumar, 3M and Huper all make excellent films. SunTek and the like are sub-par in terms of heat/solar energy rejection...more for cosmetics, it seems. IMHO of course.
    Claims of UV protection are moot - nearly all modern automotive glass inherently has ~99% UV blockage.

I`ve personally had the best luck, or shall I say found best balance of performance and price with 3M Color Stable.
    However, the single biggest difference I`ve felt/witnessed regarding window films, is getting a film on the front windshield. Specifically, we`ve done our front windscreens with 70% 3M Crystalline, which made a VERY big difference in comfort of the vehicle. It`s nearly transparent, and does not interfere with driving in the least.
    Currently have a car with Color Stable on all the glass, except the front windscreen uses Crystalline. And have a vehicle with Crystalline all the way around (including the windscreen). Both are identical.

As mentioned, a competent installer is KEY.

Regarding pricing - here in SoFlo, expect about ~$220 for "regular" film, and ~$450 for "fancy" film. Front windscreen extra, runs about ~$200.
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

etnops- Any idea whether the Crystalline and/or Color Stable are radar detector-friendly?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - no idea how window film reacts with a radar detector.
    All I could note, is that after putting the film on the windscreen, our auto headlights ALWAYS turn on, even at high noon. Assuming the sensor is on the inside, and some type of light is being filtered enough with the film, that the sensor "thinks" it`s dark outside.

If I were speculating, I`d say a non-metallic film would be OK. However, anything in front of the radar detector will have some effect.

Thread Information