Post Thanks / Like

My bushings are groaning!

Well, actually it`s my cars bushings that are groaning, and creaking, so much so that it is getting really annoying. It seems to be the rear suspension arm bushings and it is so loud that I can hear it even with the radio turned up. Just getting into the car or going over a bump, or anything that moves the suspension causes it. I`ve tried spraying them with water, armor all, and brushing on a liquid rubber lube and it hasn`t helped. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the noise? I know it`s not a big deal but it is really bugging me!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My bushings are groaning!

If they are getting to the point where it really getting on your nerves, get them replaced

JMHO
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

i work at a dealership and have seen the costs of letting them get too bad. the arms can get damaged and need replacing also. do the bushings and save yourself some money and headaches

Post Thanks / Like

My friend had that same problem, for a quick fix you can load a small oil can up with some 10W-30 (I used synthetic because I had an open container). It`s working great for him for now. In the long run you`ll want to switch over to polyurethane, not only are they similarly priced to rubber bushings, they also make your car more responsive and better handling. If your car is one that generally has decent aftermarket support you can find full bushing sets from manufacturers like energy suspension or prothane for under $200.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubafeak
    My friend had that same problem, for a quick fix you can load a small oil can up with some 10W-30 (I used synthetic because I had an open container). It`s working great for him for now. In the long run you`ll want to switch over to polyurethane, not only are they similarly priced to rubber bushings, they also make your car more responsive and better handling. If your car is one that generally has decent aftermarket support you can find full bushing sets from manufacturers like energy suspension or prothane for under $200.

really? cause I`m starting to get a little noise in my bushings. maybe I<ll switch over

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about using oil but I wasn`t sure if it would damage the rubber so I tried silicone. That worked for a short time and now the noise is back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raikko77
    really? cause I`m starting to get a little noise in my bushings. maybe I<ll switch over
    The Urethanes will transmit more road noise because they don`t deflect like rubber bushings do. They also don`t do as well with shear loads because of the chemical and physical properties of the bushings. Your car will be noisier if you switch to urethane, but it will handle much better and react more quickly.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to do some research on your car. My truck (97 Dodge Dakota 4x2) has a bad bushing habit. I had the bushings & arms replaced, but the popping bushings were back within weeks. I was told by the dealer that "they all do that" and after some research on message boards, I found that they really do "all do that."

I wish I had went with an aftermarket suspension kit. Perhaps it would have solved the problem.

Good luck with yours. Its such an annoying problem!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubafeak
    The Urethanes will transmit more road noise because they don`t deflect like rubber bushings do. They also don`t do as well with shear loads because of the chemical and physical properties of the bushings. Your car will be noisier if you switch to urethane, but it will handle much better and react more quickly.

It is a toss up isn`t it?
    I`ll have to sleep over this one, but thanks for the help, it`s really appreciated!

Thread Information