Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extended Warranty?

Let`s see if I am looking at this right....

-You ONLY drive 3,500 miles a year. That is great! Most drive 12,000+ per year. Look at it this way; 3,500 miles times 4 years is 14,000 miles. $2,500 divided by 14,000 miles means your paying $.18 per mile for that warranty.

You have 73k miles on it now. HOW LONG DO YOU PLAN TO KEEP THE CAR?

--I am a big fan of extended warranties if you can justify the value of them. If I, and I stress the I, were in your situation driving ONLY 3,500 miles per year, I would take the risk of not dropping the initial $2500 and paying as you go.

--Four years for $2500 ($625) is quite a bit. Find a local German Auto Mechanic "should" you need work done to it. Mercedes will charge you and arm and a leg for little stuff.

That is just my opinion though. Good luck, and you picked a fine vehicle!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like

my g/f bought her car new back in 02` as an 03` model since then but 44k miles on it and since nov. of 04`has been in the shop a total of 5 times 3 times same problem! 1- window motor and 1-engine shut off in the middle of the road (bad fuel pump/ fuel filter ) anyways total repairs $2.3k thats just a short time. i hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Consider this do you have to pay the warranty in full at time of sign up?
    Or are you paying through financing the vehicle if you are financing?
    Or are you going to be making payments on just the warranty with a down payment?? :headbang

Post Thanks / Like

The end of the story is - It turned out that the $2500 was for a lesser policy and the top-line policy was about $2750. Not a big deal in itself, but I could just see myself hassling with these guys if I needed a repair. If Mercedes offered me a full warranty at that price with no questions asked I would go for it, but I just got too spooked at the thought of paying close to three grand and then not being covered. In any case, I truly hope I don`t run up 3 grand in covered repairs over 4 years. Covered repairs do not include maintenance, brakes, exhaust. I figure i`ll just chance it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an extended warranty on both the wife`s `04 Mailbu and my `03 Silverado. Bought both new and got the warranty through GMAC. I had a warranty through GMAC on my `90 Beretta and it more than paid for itself - including the interest as it went into the loan.

There policy is different now from what it was then. If I never use it, I get all the money back, which I know from experience to be true. I end up paying something anyway because as it went into the loan, I`m paying interest on that money, but at 1.9% I figure it is very inexpensive insurance. We all buy insurance, and that`s how I see this working out, especially so since I get it all back when it`s up - provided I don`t use it.

For me, it works.My truck is 18 months old now and has just a hair under 30,000 miles. I`l have 36,000 when it turns two years old. So the extended warranty covers it through six years or 100,000 miles.
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2000 E320 MB and can tell you that repairs can eat up that 25 hundy real quick.
    My rides :shift
    1999 F-150 149,000
    2000 Mercedes E320
    2001 Ford Windstar

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think you owe it to yourself to check out www.warrantydirect.com before making a quick decision.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

I got an GMPP extended warranty on my 2005 C-6 Corvette it is 56,000/84 months for $2,900 making monthly payments on it. :hurl :hot :flamed :headbang

Post Thanks / Like

Warantee Direct does not cover vehicles with over 60K

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t notice you stated 73K miles in the initial post, my bad.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

Wait till basic warranty expires maybe one month before it expries

Then get the extended warranty. Alot of people do this but the plans and rates change also vs. getting the extended warranty when the car is newer. Doing it this way will save you $$$ if you decide not to keep the car after the 3 year warranty is up. :headbang :headbang

Post Thanks / Like

my take on them,like any insurance,you are buying PEACE OF MIND. i did decide to take an extended on the zr2 from greentree. bumper to bumper. (not cheap). i am covered to about 85,000 miles. used it twice so far. 4x4 switch. and new cv boots. if you are going to keep the vehicle long term,it would be something to concider. seem`s now a days prices for repairs are going up. second choice would be to open a savings account and put in what you can every month. label it your "car repair fund".
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information