Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2005 1/2 Ton Pickups - Chevy, Dodge, or Ford ?

Hi Everyone,

Recieved a call from my father today letting me know he sold my mom`s work van. It was a 1995 Chevy Astro Van AWD and was pretty loaded. He bartered it for some contracting work to be done. But anyways, the thing has seen its share of heavier loads and miles (115,xxx) as my mom uses it primarily for her creative gardening design and maintenance business. It hauls around all of her tools, wheel barrows, and most of the time a reasonable amount of manuer, fertilizers, plants, etc. - In short, a true work horse. The vehicle has receieved about $1000-1500 in maintenance and other repairs per year which is more than my dad would like to shell out. So, earlier this year they discussed a pickup truck as a solid solution, so here it goes...

The 3 choices he presented me with are the 2005 Ford F-150, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, and 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500. The truck must be extended cab and come with the longest bed available, V8 engine, 4wd, power everything, etc. He doesn`t need leather, navigation, or anything too fancy and would like to keep the price in the sub-$30,000 range. If he can`t find one on the lots, he will most likely order it as we will probably have it for a long time.

Now, as of now, my vote goes for the F-150, my uncle`s vote goes for the Chevy, and mom`s goes to the Dodge. My dad is not necessarily the deciding vote, but he`d like to hear from some owners of these machines or anyone who knows about them if possible.

From an DC`ian standpoint, it will most likely be an easier color to keep clean since it will be dirty a lot no matter what. I was thinking a white, champagne, or charcoal...Kind of those in between colors that don`t show "too" much dirt from a little bit of a distance.

I`d appreciate any knowledge or views you have on any of these 3 vehicles.

Thanks in advance!

For your viewing pleasure:

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2005 1/2 Ton Pickups - Chevy, Dodge, or Ford ?

Sean your mom should consider the little smaller models like the Dakota, or Colorado, and their 6 cyl engine can easily haul stuff around and get better gas mileage too...they are easier to drive, the cargo space is not that much smaller, and probably equal to the minivan she`s getting out of, plus the prices are also lower...I think the Dakota can come with a V-8 too. :dunno
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

We traded in our 2001 Chevy Suburban last February with 65k miles on it and it was flawless from new until we got rid of it. It`s the same truck mechanics-wise, so at least I know that a Silverado will last for some time. The Vortec engines are engineered to run 100k miles easy without major replacements or repairs. They ride like Cadillacs, even the 4x4s (The Suburban was a 2WD, the Tahoe we traded it in for is 4WD, but they both ride great) and even after a lot of mileage. Chevys might not be the most stylish, unique, and appealing trucks, but they sure get the job done.

My vote is for the Silvy all the way .

Good luck with your search. The Ram is also a very fine choice. I`d like one myself.
    2004 Silver Dodge Ram QuadCab
    Yeah, it`s got a Hemi.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like

Last weekend I went hunting and one of the guys I know there has an identical Dodge Ram except his had the HEMI. He said the power is really nice not that hes a race car driver or anything but he said passing and getting on highways with the HEMI is great. I`m not sure if that would suit your mother but maybe something to consider. I think if you want power, the Dodge Ram HEMI would be the way to go. If not I think the F-150 is hands down the nicest looking and designed(inside and out) out of the three of em. That characoal color is really nice looking to. One guy around here has a new F-150 in a bright yellow and has dropped a decent amount of $ into it. It looks really good and unique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Porkanbeans

My vote is for the Silvy all the way .
    i am with porkanbeans. the silverado will do the job for a long time to come. i have never driven anything but gm products. really enjoy the ride. although for tuffness the ford will probly be a better cchoice. since your mother is a londscaper i do not think that tuffness is needed in this case. she won`t be haulin transmission from scrapers or big generating plants. comfort pays for itself after a long day of work.

also his mention of the colorado is a viable option because they can haul alot of stuff and get into tighter spaces.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the ford. Dodge doesnt hold resale value very well, I own a chevy and it is a POS, and ford, alot of my friends have them and haven`t had any probs (so far). that is just my thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Well...I`ve had trucks all my life. Yea, you know me (I used a specail potion of Steve`s new EX-P+ formula and posted pics), I`m the proud owner of the 2003 BIG RED or in your words...huuuge Chevy diesel DURAMAX crew cab 8ft. bed w/all the yadda yadda yadda.

I`ve had or owned Chebies and Ferds only. Prefer Chebies if I buy new beceause I get special employee discounting and with all the incentives its a no brainer that if I buy new-I`m buying Chevy. If I buy used I buy Ferd. IMO Ferd is a better truck, Chebie is a nice truck too. My current truck and use of it-dictates I have this truck I drive. When you get into diesel trucks-its another playing field. IMO w/these type of trucks Chevy is better.

I believe the choices you are looking at are very comparable in all aspects if people really were honest. I think it boiles down to personal preference and price.

When you use a truck for work-especially with your mom`s business, I would not sacrifice space or towing capacity. Maybe she doesn`t tow now and maybe she never will, but you never know when you might need too, especially if she might need to tow a small trailer with future growth. Will not need go truck shopping either. Typically all the trucks you have listed will come factory w/a hitch and a wiring harness pre installed too. I think you need to consider dealer service and reputation if you are buying new.

So, with that all said, I suggest Chevy or Ford. Here is a great link to an on-line truck forum with all opinions. Maybe use it for a resource in your decision making process. MPG and current owners maintenance issues or problems, however, I forewarn you these people bleed what they own. Oh yea, and another thing...make sure you post before`s and after`s when you detail it...he he...

http://www.pickuptruck.com/
    "Life isnt like a bowl of cherries or peaches....its more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow!"

Post Thanks / Like

OK guys.
    Every truck has its own pluses and minuses.
    Dodge Ram (Hemi)-345HP slt model 4x4, in my opinion the nicest looking truck on the road, with sport package. Engine is not so great, it gives you a lot of power but it is not very refined yet. Camshaft ticking noise and throttle body (WON). Most likely you will se a lot of truck with WON, especially 2004-2005 models, because of electronically regulated throttle.
    Another major thing for me was when I looked at those "chrome" wheels, they are not chrome, they are covered with chrome like plastic. With those wheels you will see a lot of dings and pilling.
    Chevy- 5.3 295-285HP (Watch for that piston slap "pistonslap.com"), overall don`t have any problems with their model. Oh yes, if you go with Chevy tell dealer to change steering e-shaft, If you need I will give the TSB#
    Ford- same thing as with dodge, but little beat underpowered, towing capacity is a lie. WON. And ticking noise, but ford recalls all the engines with that noise, still watch for it. Extended cab has the smallest room available. Ok looking truck
    Nissan titan - 5.6 will give you almost as much power as hemi.
    Rear diff problems, but easy fix (dealer).
    Over all good towing and powerful truck.
    As a color goes, silver will look god, white with pewter bottom (two tone) for GMC sierra, silver for dodge and ford.
    "A Auto Detailing"
    Charlotte, NC

Post Thanks / Like

I would check the spec sheets and look for the 1500 or compact truck with a larger load capacity as your mother will be hauling stuff around. Maybe look for a 1500 or compact with a tow package. As to color I would get a silver or dark grey. IMHO, After awhile white will start to look dirty if not kept detailed.

Options besides the big three:
    Toyota Tundra
    Toyota Tacoma
    Nissan Titan
    Maybe Nissan Frontier
    Ford Ranger/ Mazda B-Series
    As PB said smaller trucks from the Big 3.

Has your mother or father taken a test drive of any the trucks being considered?

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure these three trucks are all pretty similar and relatively priced about the same. I have worked with my Dad the last 14 years in his construction company and all we used to buy were Fords. In fact we still have a 77 F350 with 275,xxx miles and a 92 F150 with 210,xxx miles. Now he bought a Chevy 2002 2500 HD and a 2001 3500 and both are having problems the Fords never had (But they were about $7000 cheaper but thats cause they have utility beds and Ford doesnt sell many like that.) But granted these things get beat on daily. So if you think this truck is gonna take a beating the Ford in my experience seems to hold up better than the Chevy. I dont have any opinion on the Dodge because we have not had any but there must be a reason why there are so many more Fords and Chevys on the roads.

Oh and I am also a big fan of the new 5.4 liter 3 valve motor in the F150`s. And if you do go Ford stay away from the 4.6 liter, definatly not enough motor that truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Well thank you everyone for your excellent responses. Since the trucks were all so close to decide on, my dad shopped deals.

He found a left over Chevy Silverado 1500, 4x4, ext cab, 6.5 bed, 5300 engine, QUADRA steer, towing package, oil/tranny cooler, upgraded suspension/tires/stereo, etc. The color is Burgundy

The sticker read $37,595. Since my dad knew it was a leftover, he knew he had a lot to work with. Wheelin and dealing, the price ended up at $27,495. Both my mom and dad loved it. They especially loved the Quadra steer...He couldn`t stop talking about it.

Of course I told him what any Autopian would....NO DEALER PREP!!! He said that it didn`t state anywhere on the bill of sale anything about it. He said he wouldn`t ask for them NOT to do it...He`s definatley not an Autopian ...Anyways, since it`s a leftover, I probably have my work cut out for me with some water spots or something of the sort. Once I get home from school next week, I will fully document it all.

Now, he mentioned modding it right off the bat. He wanted to do:

-Custom Grille (Billet or Mesh)
    -New Rims/Tires (16-20" w/larger tires)
    -Catback Exhaust
    -Foglights (didn`t come with em )
    -Tint

and probably a couple other things here and there. Any reccomendations would be swell

Thanks again for all of the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn it Sean! I just PM`d you on this, but I`m glad to see your Dad got that deal!

I`d upgrade to a dual exhaust, K&N filter kit, and titanium plugs. You`ll see a nice jump in performance, and gas mileage.

Post Thanks / Like

hello

the first thing i would get for add on would be some rocker panels. i know that in my chevy that was the first place that the rocks hit. i personally bought to small of one. it looks real nice but the damage continues even after they were installed. if i had the money i would install some high end running boards. but mudflaps are cheaper and they do a good joob as well.

i am glad for your father and mother. a quadra steer is something that i would like but do not need for just driving around.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had two Fords, a Dodge, an Isuzu, a Toyota, and from this day on I will never buy anything but a Chevy. Everyone I know who has a chevy loves their truck. The only other truck I liked was the toyota 4x4, but I need the comfort these days, and I don`t like the toy full size.

-New Rims/Tires (16-20" w/larger tires)
    -Catback Exhaust

These two mods are bad ideas until you know there`s no immediate warranty issues. He might want to drive it a while. I know way to many people who are getting warranty work denied because of mods that nobody thought could hurt anything. Especially if it`s a truck and he`s going to use it like a truck. Dealerships are the devil.

Post Thanks / Like

Ford has by far the best trucks. All companies have built their current trucks benchmarking the OLD F-150. I work at a Ford dealer and besides routine mainenance, the new F-150`s are never being worked on. The FX4/Lariat interiors are the best designed I`ve seen in a truck. There`s a lot of hard plastic but it feels thick. The ride is more Euro like than a truck, it`s smooth and hard. I`ve driven one 80+mph and didn`t even know it the ride was so smooth and quiet.
    GM has become nothing but a discount car company, building cheaply made vehicles, over pricing them, and giving huge rebates to make them seem like a deal. The GM interior material is sub-par. Cheap monotone plastic everywhere, their carpets seem hard to give up stains and wears easily also. The torsion bar suspension in front is weak compaired to the others.
    I`ve never liked the mechanical quality of any Dodge product (We take most of our Dodge trade ins to the auction if that means anything) but they do have a lot of style and use quality materials in construction. Dodge uses the highest quality fabric in both the seats and carpet I`ve seen in a domestic vehicle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information