Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2004 Civic EX magnesium HondaMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Injector Cleaners: Any Good ?

Hey guys, though I`d ask this here since I figured maybe some of the pros were also engine experts or knowledgeable.

I ran out of gas in my new Honda and was wondering about putting in a quart or so of those fuel injector cleaners or whatever, since I probably "sucked up" any residue/dirt from the fuel tank (accidentally went that low because I got lost without any gas stations nearby). I`m talking about stuff like STP or stuff you can get in an Autozone.

The car works fine, I just didn`t want to take any chances and figured if those things actually do work, I`dl buy 1 or 2 to make sure there`s no "gunk" between the fuel tank and the enine. Do they work? Any recs, let me know.
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuel Injector Cleaners: Any Good ?

Yes they work, my cousin is a master mechanic and told me to do the same since i tend to run my tanks rather low
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I use some at every oil change due to the fact that I run my tank all the way to E. FWIW, I get the Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner at Advance.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I understand why you had gas in your trunk.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Mr. Moderator, I guess you had to move my thread. I forgot about the OT and other sections. Sorry!1 :angel

Guys, any of these things OK? STP? Or whatever I see over at Wal-Mart or Autozone, whichever I get to first?

I think you just put it in the gas tank, right, no fooling around with the engines? I haven`t used these things since I had my Vette 15 years ago....
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2001civicex
    Now I understand why you had gas in your trunk.

Bullseye.....but I would have made it to a station if I hadn`t made a wrong turn off the exit. Scary thing was I was off the NYS Thruway, cars were coming at me at 70 MPH and I was maybe 8" off the white line (could have moved a few feet further right but didn`t). On top of that, the car was on a steep incline, 30-45 degrees, which meant when I put the gas into the tank, it didn`t "hit" the fuel pump right away...it drained downhill....real pain in the ass. Thought I was gonna get killed for a while!! :ticked

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    Yes they work, my cousin is a master mechanic and told me to do the same since i tend to run my tanks rather low
    STP? Anything that says it cleans fuel injectors and/or the fuel line ???

Car is pretty new, so there shouldn`t have been too much crap in the tank but I know you`re not supposed to go that low. Dumb me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HondaMan
    Sorry, Mr. Moderator, I guess you had to move my thread. I forgot about the OT and other sections. Sorry!1 :angel

Guys, any of these things OK? STP? Or whatever I see over at Wal-Mart or Autozone, whichever I get to first?

I think you just put it in the gas tank, right, no fooling around with the engines? I haven`t used these things since I had my Vette 15 years ago....
    Anything except that stuff that comes in a kit. I totally went blank just now and forget the name of it but it got horrible ratings. I think it might start with a Z. STP should be fine. I mean, Andy Granatelli was behind it so it should be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Not all FI cleaners are the same. Most do not work as advertised. For over the counter, I would go with Chevron Techron Fuel System Treatment. I personally prefer to use Fuel Power. You can find them from Lube Control Distributors online. It works very well at cleaning the fuel system and making the engine run more efficiently. I add it at every tank or so. I get about a 1 mpg increase.

For once a Oil Change Interval (OCI) cleaning, I like Schaeffer`s Nuetra. I would add it to the tank and use it up before I change my oil. That way, any insolubles that make it into the oil are drained out.

And you thought an obsession with wax was bad...
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    <snip>
    For over the counter, I would go with Chevron Techron Fuel System Treatment.
    :yeah Chevron Techron indeed ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalmore
    :yeah Chevron Techron indeed ...
    OK, if I can get that at my retail places, I`ll look for it. I trust it`s pour-it-in-the-tank and forget it.

Proud Resident Of Detail City
    Post Thanks / Like

Red Line Oil makes an injector cleaner. Red Line`s products are some of the best you can buy, period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brwill2004
    Red Line Oil makes an injector cleaner. Red Line`s products are some of the best you can buy, period.
    Yes, Redline and Royal Purple, if they make a cleaner, are great. Hard to find at your local parts store though. Might want to try a performance shop.

Post Thanks / Like

How exactly do these things work? Maybe they can work well on a really plugged-up fuel injector, but can they really do anything on one which has a few grains of dirt in it and is working at 90 or 95% efficiency?

Post Thanks / Like

They use a flammable detergent, like isopropyl alcohol, to "wash" the injectors. I put it in my Taurus with some premium and it was like night and day, I could spin the tires from first to second if I kept my foot flat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information