Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What tires are you running for winter

doublel: thanks for posting that quote from a Swedish newspaper but I`ve have different results with a similar incident.

There are many deer in my area, especially in the East Amherst / Williamsville suburbs of Buffalo as urban sprawl spreads into undeveloped areas.

I had to perform a quick `n desperate left-right-left to avoid a deer (the "moose test") last year on 60 series Blizzak`s & I didn`t notice any ill handling characteristics on dry pavement. Speed was approx. 30 - 35 mph on a 4 lane highway with drainage ditches.

I`m using 4 Blizzak`s on an Accord (front wheel drive) & I`d be curious to know which vehicle with Blizzaks (just on the drive wheels? on all four corners? front wheel or rear wheel drive?) were on to report them as being "unsafe on dry pavement".

I doubt the DOT would allow them to be sold & Consumer Report would condemn the tires to the point of running them out of the market.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

Goodyear MT/R`s. They heavy tread mud tires that work great in snow. Cost $1200 new for all 4 installed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    I have a set of Kelly Magna-Grip tires on my car for winter. They were cheap and look like old school snow tires. My wife calls them the "monster truck tires". They are noisy and steal a bit of miles per gallon, but they`ll go through anything.

I`ve heard good things about Firestone WInterfire tires for a reasonably priced winter tire. Blizzacks are nice, but I`ve read that the compound lasts only a winter or so.
    Scott,
    My sister in-law has a set of Blizzaks which she purchased in 1998 and have another season left. I guess it depends on the number of dry miles driven while on winter tires.

Her blizzaks are soft and do reduce the handling abilityof the car, but we all should drive more cautiously during the winter.2

I had set of Dunlop Wintersport M2 on the Jetta and really like them a lot. With M2`s I did not notice any reduction in handle from the Michelin Energy`s, in the dry. When it come to real winter driving I am glad I had winter tires as the Michelins did poorly. I wish I Dunlop made thew M2`s or M3`s in a suitable size for the Subaru.

doublel,
    I was looking at the Vredestein Wintrac V XL for the Subaru and interested i hearing more about them.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like

How about Hankooks? I am looking at the Hankook 404`s just for a cheap winter tire. They seem to get good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

2001civicex,
    What kind of car are you looking to put winter tires on? The Han 404`s seems to rank well at 1010 tires.

doublel,
    Do you have link to the Swedish article? Which tire does the Swedish article pick as the best?

NASIOC winter tire reviews

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like

Since it really doesn`t ever ice down here in Alabama, I stick with my Bridgestone Potenza RE950s in a 205/65-15 size.

Post Thanks / Like

It is for my 2001 Civic.

I ended up getting the hankook 404`s. They got excellent ratings on 1010tire.com and they were really cheap in price. I am going to try and mount them on the rims this weekend and then get them on the car in a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have purchased a set of the Green Diamond Ultra Trak to try this winter on my new CR-V EX 5spd. These things are hard to come by...took me two seasons to get some. Cost was about 79.00 USD for 205/70/15 and I bought stock steels rims for mounting permanently. I had Blizzaks on my Subaru Legacy for the first time last year and didnt like the traction in snow at all. Since they don`t fit my new car, I got the GD`s, having heard great things about them. The bad winter season hasn`t started here in Portland, OR....we don`t get lots of snow, but do get ice storms in January. Will give follow up on these tires after the season.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m surprised that the Blizzaks didn`t work out for you, I`ve been nothing but satisfied with them here in Western New York.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting site to check. I found this site while researching winter tires and the people are local (in Rochester, NY). The people purchased the tires and then tested winter tires which are available here in USA. Also, there is many reader reviews. As Clymer`s said, you want to know ... ask the man who drives one.

Snow tire FAQ.info

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information