Post Thanks / Like

The rights of the DIYer

I just stumbled across this site that states it is very important to let Congress know that those of us who want to perform DIY maintenance on our cars should continue to have the right to do so without the auto manufacturers interfering. Please have a look:

http://www.righttorepair.org/
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big Brother trying to stick his nose into may life some more.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Senator, George Allen, already replied via email with a prepared response in favor

A future of dealer-only service visits is a dark one.

My infallible `88 Accord stopped experiencing "failure warning signs requiring immediate repairs" once I stopped taking her to the dealership
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinksnow,

That`s great, could it be some dealers fix very minor stuff first knowing full well what the problem is from the start but just want you keep on coming back? Hmmm..I recall a dealer told me I needed a number of things, took it for a second opinion at a private shop and it gave the mechanics there a good laugh. Now I know not all dealers are unscrupulous like this and in fact, some are quite good and go well out of their way. Sad thing is I had already given in and got one of the unnecessary repairs already, thankfully the local guy saved me from getting the rest!

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    My problem is the uncertainty that goes hand-ion-hand with my mechanical ignorance. If I take it to the dealer for problem A (or even better, routine maintenance A) and they inform me that problems A, B, and C must be attended to, I face the dilemma:

1) Do I risk saying no, possibly irritating them so that they break A, B, and C for a phat "I Told You So" down the line?

2) Do I blindly say yes, even though my car runs better than it ever has, for fear of option 1?

I choose option 3. Take my car to the local Japanese specialty shop--when something needs to be fixed, they have usually come in *under* their already-low estimate. They have even called to say that whatever I thought needed to be fixed didn`t need to be fixed.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by thinksnow

I choose option 3. Take my car to the local Japanese specialty shop--when something needs to be fixed, they have usually come in *under* their already-low estimate. They have even called to say that whatever I thought needed to be fixed didn`t need to be fixed.
    Yeah, that`s exactly what I did with my Maxima in the end, and had the same experience as you, reasonable estimate and I was also told something else didn`t need to be fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Being that My brother is a ford tech I hear about this quite often. And I do agree w/ a lot of the things that are being said...Purely for the fact that there should be no reason why I can`t change my own oil, breaks, spark plugs ect. Basic maintence things that just about anyone can do!

But in the same breath....Think of it on the terms of They are protecting their own! Just like anyone else they are securing their own Job security!

Also If I haven`t heard it 1 million times I haven`t heard it once. People bringing their vehicals in to a local privately own shop and they either can`t solve the problem or cause an even larger problem!

A lot of people seem to forget that with all the advanced technology that goes into these vehicals can not be solved by the turn of this screw or the tap on this part. There are so many sensors and such running through these vehical your essintially driving a computer and not a car. All these sensors have tolerances that can only be checked by pluging them directly into the manufacturers computers and running a full diagnoses on the car.

It really comes down to the point that smaller shops will soon be obsolete and if they are available will only be doing small tasks like oil changes, tire changes, ect. They just can not afford to buy the equipment that is necesarry to determine the problems with these vehicals.

For me in the end ... Id much rather bring my car back to the dealership pay the extra $25-30 in labor but know that the problem is solved by a person who is certified by the manufactuer and the problem is now backed by a warrenty! (Not that the small time shop wouldn`t)

Thread Information