Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anybody trust the "oil life" indicator

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    If it`s a newer car, I would trust it... the software in these cars is crazy nowadays. On the Camaro5.com forums, I read a thread about how advanced their oil monitor software is. Pretty cool stuff!

On an older car, I would stick to the 3 month / 3000 miles regimen
    Questions on your Camaro. I assume by looking at past pictures posted you also have the V6. I was wondering if you were going to use the indicator on your car or stick to certain mileage/time frame? What oil filters are you using? And did you go full synthetic or did you stick with the synthetic blend? I am just curious to know what other Camaro owners are doing. I went full synthetic, Mobil 1. Using K&N filters although I was disappointed to find out they discontinued the HP series for the Camaro but according to a call to them the pro series will have no problem lasting 10k miles as I was concerned about filter degradation. As far as how long between changes I was thinking about sticking to 7500 miles and keep an eye on the monitor.

Thanks,
    Dean.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I just change it per the required schedule but then none of my cars have an oil condition indicator. I change it myself and the oil stays fairly clean compared to just say 10 years ago.
    I change my own oil too. I changed the oil on my TA and it was almost as clean as when it went in.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have one of those special devices. But I do change my own oil every 10,000 miles. I am using Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    Questions on your Camaro. I assume by looking at past pictures posted you also have the V6. I was wondering if you were going to use the indicator on your car or stick to certain mileage/time frame? What oil filters are you using? And did you go full synthetic or did you stick with the synthetic blend? I am just curious to know what other Camaro owners are doing. I went full synthetic, Mobil 1. Using K&N filters although I was disappointed to find out they discontinued the HP series for the Camaro but according to a call to them the pro series will have no problem lasting 10k miles as I was concerned about filter degradation. As far as how long between changes I was thinking about sticking to 7500 miles and keep an eye on the monitor.

Thanks,
    Dean.
    I have nearly 50K on my Camaro already. Still running great with no issues. All I do is go to the Chevy dealership when it`s time to get an oil and filter change (ie when my car tells me it`s time).

I don`t use synthetic, because of how much it costs. Honestly though, I think that if you use non-synthetic and just stay to a maintenance program you`re fine. My camaro seems to be by all means.

My maintenance program:
    Oil change whenever car tells me to.
    Already did the 15K, 30K service
    50K service coming up soon.

Post Thanks / Like

If it`s a newer car, I would trust it... the software in these cars is crazy nowadays. On the Camaro5.com forums, I read a thread about how advanced their oil monitor software is. Pretty cool stuff!

On an older car, I would stick to the 3 month / 3000 miles regimen
    Dont waste good cash, regular conventional oil is good for 7500 depending on driving condition. If you do alot of short trips and dont let the engine warm up I would go 5k/6month.

Blackstone Labs analyzes oil and many members on Bobtheoilguy.com have posted results.

Also the GM engines are really gentle on oil
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Both Honda & GM have excellent oil life monitors. You can follow them without fear or even apprehension. I`m speaking about those that count down showing a percentage of remaining oil life not the reminder lights that go off at a preset number of miles.

The 3 month 3000 mile oil change has been gone for decades now with the superior oils available.
    Bobistheoilguy member #407. Joined 10/01/02.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dd1101 View Post
    Dont waste good cash, regular conventional oil is good for 7500 depending on driving condition. If you do alot of short trips and dont let the engine warm up I would go 5k/6month.

Blackstone Labs analyzes oil and many members on Bobtheoilguy.com have posted results.

The GM oil life monitor is really really quite accurate... I`m pretty sure they spent more money on that than my freaking interior lol!

I just do what my car tells me to do lmao!

Post Thanks / Like

I have nearly 50K on my Camaro already. Still running great with no issues. All I do is go to the Chevy dealership when it`s time to get an oil and filter change (ie when my car tells me it`s time).

I don`t use synthetic, because of how much it costs. Honestly though, I think that if you use non-synthetic and just stay to a maintenance program you`re fine. My camaro seems to be by all means.

My maintenance program:
    Oil change whenever car tells me to.
    Already did the 15K, 30K service
    50K service coming up soon.
    Thanks for responding. If you are taking it to a GM dealer it is AC Delco filters and synthetic blended oil since you did not request full synthetic when you brought it in. I change my own oil and the cost here for full synthetic vs the required synthetic blend is about the same at just over $5 a quart.

FYI, conventional oil can`t be used in the new Camaro or it will void warranty. GM requires or recommends you to use a Dexos approved oil. The new Dexos label is at least being a synthetic blended oil. Since at Walmart up north here does carry Pennzoil synthetic blend at around $5 a quart I can buy a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 full Synthetic for $26 off the same shelf. I myself opted to just go for Mobil 1.

I don`t like how small the oil filter is but I got to love how easy it is to change. First car I have had that I did not spill a drop pulling the oil filter, didn`t even have to crawl under the car! First car I have had that took 6 quarts to fill. Oh, the oil filter is located top side of the engine compartment next to the engine cover or under it.

Dean.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for responding. If you are taking it to a GM dealer it is AC Delco filters and synthetic blended oil since you did not request full synthetic when you brought it in. I change my own oil and the cost here for full synthetic vs the required synthetic blend is about the same at just over $5 a quart.

FYI, conventional oil can`t be used in the new Camaro or it will void warranty. GM requires or recommends you to use a Dexos approved oil. The new Dexos label is at least being a synthetic blended oil. Since at Walmart up north here does carry Pennzoil synthetic blend at around $5 a quart I can buy a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 full Synthetic for $26 off the same shelf. I myself opted to just go for Mobil 1.

I don`t like how small the oil filter is but I got to love how easy it is to change. First car I have had that I did not spill a drop pulling the oil filter, didn`t even have to crawl under the car! First car I have had that took 6 quarts to fill. Oh, the oil filter is located top side of the engine compartment next to the engine cover or under it.

Dean.
    I`m going to change my oil myself as soon as I get a floor jack I trust. None of that cheap turn around in circles super small jacks. Definitely don`t trust those with my life lol.

Getting synthetic is most definitely better

Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to change my oil myself as soon as I get a floor jack I trust. None of that cheap turn around in circles super small jacks. Definitely don`t trust those with my life lol.

I have been using the Rhino Ramps. One of the best investments I have made.
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Get a set of jack stands also, don`t ever trust just the floor jack or any jack alone. This car is simple to change oil on. You will need at least a 6 quart drain pan. Oil filter is on the top drivers side of the engine compartment. If memory serves correct I had to pop the engine cover off. There should be step by step instructions on your Camaro forum or Google it is what I did. I changed oil filter first, takes less the 5 minutes, and then jacked car up on drivers side because the drain plug faces the passenger side. The oil needs to be warm but don`t get burnt. One other thing is when you pull the plug be ready because I overshot the oil pan when I pulled the plug, I wasn`t expecting it to shoot that far. I loosein the plug and then hold up the pan and then finish undoing the plug. It will take about 5 1/2 quarts, maybe a touch more. I think the book says 6 quarts but mine is now a tad over the full mark on the stick. If you don`t go full synthetic according to GM you should at least use a synthetic blend. Make sure it has the word Dexos on the bottle.

I have been using the Rhino Ramps. One of the best investments I have made.
    Not sure I would bother with ramps. I have a set (not Rhinos, but steel ones not sure the brand) and my 2 wheel drive Dodge Dakota would not climb them it would only push them. I also have the attachments for mine for lower profile or lower bumpers so it has less of an incline at first but I always had a problem climbing them with a rear wheel drive vehicle so I didn`t even bother trying with my Camaro.

Again Mobil 1 at Walmart is about $26 for a 5 quart jug you will either need to buy 2 or an extra quart, an oil filter will be over $10 for this car. I ordered off of Amazon and bought 8 K&N brand for around $8 or $9 a piece. So to do it yourself it will be just over $40. Not sure what you pay GM. I like to do it myself as I am a DYI`er and it is as therapeutic as detailing.

Dean!
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck with free oil changes and maintenance for 1 year I just take my Soul in every 5k for a free oil change. Although I polished my rims this weekend and found some small scratches I know I didnt do. So that just leaves the dealership responsible. Guess the idiots put the rim face down when the tire wasn`t aired up.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I would bother with ramps. I have a set (not Rhinos, but steel ones not sure the brand) and my 2 wheel drive Dodge Dakota would not climb them it would only push them.
    I use ramps.

I found some at Pep Boys that had the right incline to keep from hitting the bumper. I have only had one real issue with sliding (happened yesterday!) but it was when backing off. If ramps work they take a lot less time to set up.

I really do not need them on the Dakota since it is a 4x4 but still give plenty of room.

In my Ford products, I use Motorcraft oil and filters. In the Dakota, I use a mopar filter with either Penzoil or Valvoline.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set of Race Ramps. They don`t move an inch. I also have Rhino Ramps and they don`t really move but my bumper will touch as I go up them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to trust mine..... I`m too lazy to look up the E-miles vs the ICE miles....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information