Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh paint

Post Thanks / Like

Fresh paint

Just had my hood and bumper reprinted cause a few minor rock chips. I wanted a fresh start once I clear bra the car. Well the paint job came out fine but really if ur going to be a painter please learn how to buff out your work. I got there early saw him polishing it out and he used a rag that u use after u use the rest room to wipe off the polish. Here are a few pics

I`m no pro but damn now I have to fix that and I can`t ride like that. But ibhave never buffed fresh paint anything I should know before I do.

The last pic is what I gave him the 1st two are how he gave it back.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can polish the paint just like you normally would but don`t use any sealant or wax on it. Make sure to give it a good IPA wipe down to remove the polishing oils for the clear bra.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fresh paint

So sorry the shop could not compound this out like you gave it to them; unfortunately, I have yet to see a shop now that even has good microfiber towels, much less, clean microfiber or any kind of towels that are clean and safe for bringing up the paint to the best level.

They just dont do it for the most part, and they just dont do it correctly either for the rest.

Your work by they way, is flawless..

Your ClearBra guy will want to wipe the area down with his brand of cleaner, and then they are going to spray a soap mixture all over it and lay down the clearbra and squeegee the water out. You might want to ask him what towels he uses to wash and wipe it again, or make sure he knows you already did it and to not touch it with one of his rough towels and take away all your perfect work. Tell him you are anal about the paint, scare the heck out of him, tell him you are going home to clean your guns , impress upon him that he cannot mar your paint and then clearbra over it, or it may be hazardous to his health.
    Every time I have this done to any of my vehicles, I try to just be there or better still have him do it in my garage so I have control over everything.

Good luck, you are so going to be happy having no more paint chips !

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

let the paint cure for 10 days before you install the clear bra. If not, bubbles may form under the bra as the paint cures. just my 2 cents. We`ve been installing clear bras for a couple years, learned this lesson the hard way, from a job for a local bodyshop......Ro

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on waiting 30 days before clear bra. The place I`m taking it to is a detail shop that does high end cars so hopefully they not do more Damage. In 30 days I may also have them just fix that damage as well nursing school starts back up real soon so I won`t have extra time to correct myself. Not sure I can`t wait that long its slowly eating at me lol

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes definitely let the paint cure as long as possible. It can "breathe" up to 3 months. The resulting shrinkage cant be fixed after protection it is applied without sanding and polishing . It is more critical during winter months.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    So should I wait to correct the imperfections the body shop put into my hood or can I go ahead and do it asap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

Your ClearBra guy will want to wipe the area down with his brand of cleaner, and then they are going to spray a soap mixture all over it and lay down the clearbra and squeegee the water out. You might want to ask him what towels he uses to wash and wipe it again, or make sure he knows you already did it and to not touch it with one of his rough towels and take away all your perfect work. Tell him you are anal about the paint, scare the heck out of him, tell him you are going home to clean your guns , impress upon him that he cannot mar your paint and then clearbra over it, or it may be hazardous to his health.
    Every time I have this done to any of my vehicles, I try to just be there or better still have him do it in my garage so I have control over everything.
    Dan F
    That`s a great point. My guy used a rag with dawn to wash down my truck before doing the install. I think once the bra is installed you really can`t see the defects on the paint. The defects that are seen are the ones on the bra itself. At least that`s what I notice in my mom`s dark blue car.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s what I`m worried about I want a swril free finish before the clear bra is installed. Once installed can`t fix it and that will drive me nuts lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Ensuring that the new finish is defect free is important and depending on the ability of the painter to lay down a glass like final coat will determine whether or not finish sanding is required.

Caution needs to be exercised here because you can actually end up with one panel looking like a sheet of glass and the adjacent panel appearing different due to factory orange peal.

I would wait 30 days before sealing and waxing....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your feed back. It`s just sucks spending all that hard work on something then you receive it back like that.

Post Thanks / Like

That 2nd pic is brutal. I hate putting my vehicles in the care of someone else. I`m 100% sure that they are not going to take care of it the same way I would. It`s almost guaranteed that it wont come home looking the same way it did when it left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    That 2nd pic is brutal. I hate putting my vehicles in the care of someone else. I`m 100% sure that they are not going to take care of it the same way I would. It`s almost guaranteed that it wont come home looking the same way it did when it left.
    Before i gave the man my car I spoke to him about halograms and all the nightmares ppl have with painters. So he knew before hand how picky i was. I myself hate to let other ppl work on my cars but sometimes things are out of your control

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blk5.0 View Post
    Before i gave the man my car I spoke to him about halograms and all the nightmares ppl have with painters. So he knew before hand how picky i was. I myself hate to let other ppl work on my cars but sometimes things are out of your control
    True that. It just seems that most of us are a lot pickier than most. I had the spoiler on the back of my Magnum painted to match the rest of the car, and most people thought it was a great job. It really was, but I noticed a few imperfections, and not to mention the compound caked in between the spoiler and the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    True that. It just seems that most of us are a lot pickier than most. I had the spoiler on the back of my Magnum painted to match the rest of the car, and most people thought it was a great job. It really was, but I noticed a few imperfections, and not to mention the compound caked in between the spoiler and the body.
    You are right most people are not like use which is a gift and a curse at times more curse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information