Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My father has a slightly used no-name brand random orbital buffer. As I have just finished applying AIO and 3 coats of SG by hand to my brand new truck, I have no need for the orbital in the near future.

Would this orbital be suitable for future application and/or removal of AIO and SG? It is an 8" with a fixed 3000 RPM speed. I assume that I should an MF bonnet for removal, and a foam pad for applying AIO.

I don`t see much need for a PC, but I`ve heard good things about them for applying AIO, and I am looking for a way to reduce the 2.5 hours per coat of SG. Would this no-name be a good substitute for this type of application, or is it worthless?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is probably good enough to do the job but the bigger pad does make it a bit harder to get into tight areas. I feel any Random orbital is better than no random orbital.

I used to have an old 10" but the pad finally came off so it is in permanent storage.

You may find that pad changing is a pain when you have to slip them over the wheel. The velcro backing does have advantages there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used an 8" Waxmaster to AIO my truck a few weeks back. I bought a foam pad from WalMart, and it seemed to take a LOT of AIO to put it down smoothly. Whenever the AIO would start running low in the pad, it would hop and stick. Afterwards, the AIO was harder to remove than if hand-applied, because I had to put so much on. It was worth it, though, for the speed at which I could apply it with the buffer. I kind of doubt that you would want to put the SG on with a cheap foam pad. The one I used for the AIO was more porous than the CMA PC pads I have (PC soon to come!), so I`m thinking that with the CMA pads, I would have used less product. I applied my SG by hand, and removed both AIO and SG by hand.

Anyway, that`s my 2c. Like the last guy said, better a cheap buffer than no buffer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Before I got my PC I used a cheap Black & Decker 5" orbital . I can`t believe the difference in the quality of the finish between the two. The PC leaves a much slicker finish with a WHOLE lot less buffing.

Real down sides were that it (the B&D orbital) took a BUNCH of product to cover the car and it was fixed speed. Love that PC! :xyxthumbs
    "I have not failed. I`ve just found 10,000 ways that won`t work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to apply AIO very sparingly with the PC. Having just tried appying it by hand (just on my wheels) I would say I would use far less WITH the orbital.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by carguy [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I was able to apply AIO very sparingly with the PC. Having just tried appying it by hand (just on my wheels) I would say I would use far less WITH the orbital. [/b]</blockquote>
    I will try AIO with the PC soon. I assume I will use a white foam pad. What speed should I use? How do I go about using the AIO sparingly?
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuckmotor -

I`m not a Klasse guy (pun intended) but I`ll take a shot. When I`m applying the BF polish, I use the CMA white pad at speed of about 4.5-5. I did use the yellow pad at the same speed on a buddy`s car that needed a little more TLC, and it worked great.

Obviously, the final protectant (if you need one) goes on with the grey pad. I used a speed of 3 for application here.

Hope this helps... if not, at least your question gets a bump!
    "I have not failed. I`ve just found 10,000 ways that won`t work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Post Thanks / Like
    MAYBE KINDA OF A STUPID QUESTION. I know Meguiar`s Dual Action Buffer says it will not damage paint or burn paint, including clearcoats. Is the Porter Cable the same. I know with rotary buffer you got to know what you are doing, and I know the orbital buffers are safer but I`m a apply by it by hand guy [no remarks :p ] and haven`t used a buffer before and don`t want to ruin the great paintjob on my AC Cobra.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Porter Cable will not burn your paint. In fact I think the Meguiars buffer is just a re-badged Porter Cable....except Meguiars marks the price up about 100%

But getting back to your question, yes the the porter cable is a very safe machine to use.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    The Porter Cable (PC) is a random orbital buffer. ANd yeah the meguiars looks very similar to me.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked on Meguiars website and it says their buffers are made for them by Porter Cable. Meguiars is charging $225 :down

You can get the same machine at Lowes for $109. It`s in the power sander section, Porter Cable 7336SP. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    The Meguiars version, just has Meguiars name plates on the side. The sticker denoting the model number, serial number, ect says Porter Cable. They don`t make any attempt to hide who made it, they just threw their name on it. I got mine from them years ago (before HD and Lowes were in my vocabulary) when I ordered a collection to start detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those labels must be expensive...

Lets see 2 labels for $116 or $58 each DAYUM!

Post Thanks / Like
    No kidding, actually it wasn`t a bad deal when I got mine. It was like $270 bucks with all of the other stuff in the collection. The buying power of Lowes and HD makes it nice.

If I were buying one today, I would go to HD and ask them to beat Lowes price. Thats 10% off of the $109 price. Nice!!

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Those labels must be expensive...</blockquote>
    hehe, you got that right Guess. They should be engraved in gold for that kind of money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information