Post Thanks / Like
    Guys i have a few problems i need some opinions on.

A mate of mine has a 190E Merc which we detailed a few weeks ago. The paint is a solid dark blue.

The car had good paint quality and has been well taken care of, except for the fact that it had obviously received a few brush washings. The paint had heavy oxidation along the edges.

We cut along these edges, it appeared that the oxidation had come off, but has now reappeared.

We used a no-name cutting compound, Meguiars swirl remover, Meguiars Show Car Glaze, Meguiars Deep Crystal polymer sealant (it was the only one we could get at the time) and Meguiars hi tech yellow wax.

Everything was applied using meguiars applicator pads, and removed with 100% cotton towels (meguiars brand) and final wiped with micro fiber towels.

The car came up very well.

The engine was then steam cleaned by a professional detailer, the was some chemical spray on the side panel which is easily removed.

My main problem is, the car has some mysterious water spots that cant be removed by washing. There were some water marks prior to detailing although it seems these were removed.

The owner says he has had similar merc in dark colors and has never had this problem. I don`t want him to be deterred from meguiars or the world of proper detailing so I want to find a solution to this problem.

Im also wondering if when the engine got steam cleaned, the detailer didnt clean up after himself and the water mixied with nasty chemicals got on the paint and wasnt rinsed off?

Also a haze has developed in the paint, it look almost like oxidation. But from what I read it should not be oxidizing just after what we have done. Does it need more show car glaze?

Am I expecting to much from paint that is a couple of decades old, even though it is in good condition.

Any help would be great.

:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    About the water spots.... I heard vinegar would remove really bad water spots. If the vinegar nor the rubbing compound will not work, your best bet is to contact Ron Ketchman and ask him what he has for the job. Regarding the engine degreaser product, it does say on the bottle "take all precautions to avoid contact with painted surfaces", if your saying the product was just sitting there then there is a chance that could be the cause. It has never happened to me so I don`t know what type of damage it could have caused, like I said, try the two simple methods and then ask Ron for a little help.

The Glaze is a "filler", it is just made to mask the problem for a specific period of time then it wears off and you need to apply more. Ron Ketchman once again can defiantly help you. I was looking over his web page and I said all this stuff about oxidation, the causes of it and how to fix it. I believe he has several products to chose from.

If you need any of his contact info, ask me. I can`t find his page on my bookmarks for some odd reason or another but I can look around for you.

Oh yea, about what to expect from your cars paint. Most of it is just common sense, if the paint and clearcoat are in good shape and were all kept up with, you can expect them to give you a really nice shine, not like a 2002 Benz but you know what I mean. If you have oxidation you can still get a pretty good shine with the right products. I have seen red cars that look rust brown come back to a nice red shine so don`t worry too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the paint is dead, the only way to correct the problem is to have the car repainted.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Myles, you`re not a real newbie are you. Weren`t you on the older forum and mentioned something funny about a company or magazine similar to Consumer`s Digest that did an absolutely horrible job of rating waxes in Austrailia. Just tell me its you. Lie if you have to. Laters

Post Thanks / Like
    Don200*

Its me mate. I havent been on autopia for awhile unfortunatly.

I have been on autopia for many year though. Im glad you remember me.

The story is i got a very good job. I used to detail cars, but i got employed by a company that wanted a car nut. Well i got the job.

Unfortunatly the job keeps me travelling and busy so i dont have much time to get on the net.

And since i havent been detailing for awhile ive had no problems to post.

Now im starting to settle down and have gotten into the car care routine again.

Keep up the good work my fellow autopians.

Myles

Post Thanks / Like
    Joed,

The engine as i said was done by somone else, and i suspect he didnt have an idea on what he was doing.

I hope it is easy to get out.

Im in australia so we have a choice of Meguiars Professional and Autogylm, everything else is very very hard to get.

I thought Meguiars Show Car Glaze was a pure polish. Am i wrong. Would some Autogylm super resin polish do the trick?

And finally who is Ron Ketchman? Unfortunalty i have never heard of him. Are there any contact details you can give me.

Thankyou for your help and advice.

Myles

Post Thanks / Like
    Contach info on Ron K http://www.autoint.com/team_valugard.htm.

Autoglym polish is good, they are do a stronger version called somthing like Paint Renovator for oxidation of paint work.

Steven
    Alfa 164

Post Thanks / Like
    Well then welcome back mate! Good to see you again. Ron K is certainly has a wealth of knowledge as his business revolves around such questions. If he doesn`t know the answer he has engineers at his disposal who pretty much always have possible solutions. Laters

Post Thanks / Like

Original manufacturer for 60`s Ford conv tops

I`m new to the site, so please forgive me if I`m posting in the wrong place. I`m restoring a `66 Mustang convertible as a non-driven thoroughbred and am searching for a replacement white top. I`m doing research to determine who the original manufacturers were for tops to Ford during the 60`s?

I do know that "Aro" was one of them, but do not know if they were the only one or not. The proper autocare home page gives a brief history of the 2 car cover manufacturers during the 60`s. One of those mentioned was "Atlas International Manuafacturing Co." Bob Lichtmann left the co. in `65, but I can`t find any more info about the co or any other data indicating any other manufacturers were making tops for Ford during this time, other than "Aro.

Does any one here know who was making tops for Ford in the mid 60`s?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.04 View Post
    I`m new to the site, so please forgive me if I`m posting in the wrong place. I`m restoring a `66 Mustang convertible as a non-driven thoroughbred and am searching for a replacement white top. I`m doing research to determine who the original manufacturers were for tops to Ford during the 60`s?

I do know that "Aro" was one of them, but do not know if they were the only one or not. The proper autocare home page gives a brief history of the 2 car cover manufacturers during the 60`s. One of those mentioned was "Atlas International Manuafacturing Co." Bob Lichtmann left the co. in `65, but I can`t find any more info about the co or any other data indicating any other manufacturers were making tops for Ford during this time, other than "Aro.

Does any one here know who was making tops for Ford in the mid 60`s?
    This question would be better suited on a Mustang forum. Nonetheless. welcome to TruthInDetailing :spy:

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to TID 21.04, our good friend Rick Goldstein, President of Wolfsteins/RaggTopp products might know the answer for you and also have you check with The Haartz Corporation? I will send a email to him this week for you........Angelo
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Thread Information