Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I used BF for the first time two weeks ago. Being a long-time carnuba guy (and a wannabe Autopian) I performed an experiment along the way.

On the rear trunklid and spoiler, I used BF on half and Zymol paste wax on the other. After two weeks and two washes, made the following observations (all subjective).

BTW, the subject for this experiment is a very red Volvo 850 Turbo. Paint has been cared for (other those #^%$ rock chips) and is in good to very-good condition.

<strong class=`bbc`>Depth[/b]
    So far a tie. BF is the only polymer I`ve ever used that matched a good carnuba for depth on red.

<strong class=`bbc`>Durability[/b]
    BF:up Carnuba:down Even after just two weeks, I can already tell that the carnuba is disappearing. Surface doesn`t feel as smooth as the BF, and some minor swirl marks are reappearing.

<strong class=`bbc`>Dust[/b]
    BF:down Carnuba:up I have seen other posts regarding BF`s potential dust collecting properties, so I`ve paid close attention between washes. BF definitely "holds" more dust than the carnuba. One afternoon, after getting "dusted" by road construction, I could see a disticnt line on the trunk lid where the BF met the carnuba.

<strong class=`bbc`>Slickness[/b]
    :nixweiss I`ve seen posts regarding BF and slickness, but really wasn`t sure exactly what it referred to (other than maybe the dust collection). After the last wash, I really couldn`t feel or see any deterioration on the BF panel. Looked and felt as good as it did the day I put it on.

Overall, I am still very pleased :xyxthumbs with the BF. Has exceeded my expectations thus far.
    "I have not failed. I`ve just found 10,000 ways that won`t work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice review, SouthernBoy! One quick question though. Since you`ve used carnauba for a while, how do you comapre BF to other carnaubas you have used, other than Zymol? Specifically, on shine and/or durability between each.

Also, did you use the BF Polish? If so, how do you rate it`s polishing abilities against comparable polishes?

Thanks,

MM

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Metallic Mike [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Very nice review, SouthernBoy! [/b]</blockquote>
    Thanks! I figured I`ve lurked long enough. Time to start contributing instead of just asking.

Anyway, I went through a variety of carnubas before I settled on Zymol about 2-3 years ago. Previous favorite before Zymol was Mequiers paste (can`t remember exactly which one, would have to check in the garage.)

As to the polish, I "cheaped out" the on the first CMA order and didn`t get the polish, so I went through a complicated (and worthelss) process involving 3M HG followed by a Dawn wash.

I have since gotten up off my wallet and ordered the polish and QD. Used the BF Polish and Protectant on the warden`s Pathfinder this past weekend. It hasn`t been pampered like mine, but initial impression was "WOW". I`m anxious to see how it holds up in the touchless car washes she swears she never uses!

Will probably go ahead and strip the Volvo next weekend and start over with the BF polish. I`ll post results from that one as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the good info! I`m thinking of trying BF Protectant without the Polish as well in the future. Sounds like BF AFPP works just as well if you`ve already got a good base to start with (no need for polishing).

I may give it a shot later on over Zaino and see how it turns out. Glad you had great results!

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Metallic Mike, I would advise you spend the 15 bucks or whatever and get the polish. First, it really seems to enhance the look even of a perfectly polished panel, more "wet" looking. Also, the BF polish seems to further smooth and refine the surface. I was pleasently suprised by the surfacve slickness after using the polish, which made the smooth polished surface, smooth and super slick.:up I think that using the BF polish as a base is good starting point for the protectant. I just did a another car with the BF treatment (polish + Porotectant X3 and will be writing a = review shortly)

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely get the polish!!

I have 4 coats of BF and a coat of Blitz on top and it is AWESOMOE!!!!:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

http://members9.clubphoto.com/joe538...ner-1a29.phtml

Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Wolf, pics look great. I had been getting away from the topper, but not so sure now.

My BF was not slick after 10 days. Tried two things this past week QD`d with FI, what a combo, it worked extremely well. Really made it slick.

I started experimenting with SG on a couple my panels, got carried away now I have 7 coats od SG on top of 8 BFP. Looks good, waiting to see what happens after the first wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likecars, FI is really good stuff but you gotta try OGSO!! I think it is MUCH better than FI. Maybe its because it works so good on top of Blitz but the paint sparkles after using it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blackfire may not feel slick a couple of days later because there isn`t any or a very small amount of silicone in it. Check out this post:
    http://autopia-carport.com/forum/sho...threadid=6389\
    But in my experience after two washings you can still feel the smoothness and that Blackfire is still there shining away. Also after a rain or snowstorm, when the car dries it definitely seems cleaner than with a carnauba, because the water sheets off of the car instead of sitting there with beads that cause spots. A very good product that is definitely worth the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    with everyone about the BF polish before the protectant. Couldn`t believe what it did for my wife`s Pathfinder. Can`t wait for the weeked so I can re-Blackfire the Volvo.

And for some unknown reason, I just want to see the frog hop.

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Have and like the OGSH, since I have been layering SG and BPP, been using FI.

My BF is just as clean feeling and shiney since first applied. Can`t decide if I prefer a slick feeling car or not.

I am finding I don`t prefer the sheeting because with the nozzle off rinse method I am ending up with a lot of residual water unlike my Klasse cars which it just rolls off. So my MF towel has a little more water in the end, no problem, just my observation.

I am a fan of the product.

http://www.autopia-carport.com/ForumIndex.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by waxman [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Blackfire may not feel slick a couple of days later because there isn`t any or a very small amount of silicone in it. Check out this post:
    http://autopia-carport.com/forum/sho...threadid=6389\
    But in my experience after two washings you can still feel the smoothness and that Blackfire is still there shining away. Also after a rain or snowstorm, when the car dries it definitely seems cleaner than with a carnauba, because the water sheets off of the car instead of sitting there with beads that cause spots. A very good product that is definitely worth the money. [/b]</blockquote>
    Waxman, I respectfully disagree with you. In response to your assertion that silicone is necessary for sustained slickness, I have a couple of questions.

1. How come two of the most popular products used by Autopians maintain slickness after months of washes despite having no silicones?

2. Why is BF slick when first applied and then gone in a few days?

3. If there is no silicone or a very low content of oils in general, why does it seem to attract so much dust?

Also, does it impress you that BF is still shining after two washes? I don`t know. For me personally, I would prefer that a polymer sealant look shiny after MONTHS of washes, not just 2 washes. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is still smooth. I guess you could call that slick. I was only referring to what was posted about silicones by Terry of Classic Motoring Accessories. For all I know it could contain as much silicone as Black Magic. I do not have the dust issue people are talking about. Since it has only been on my car for two weeks I can only make statements on it`s condition based on that time. A few people have posted that after a couple of washes it lost its shine. I did not see this on my vehicle.

This is a good product that does not take a lot of time to apply and take off. Maybe you should give it a try yourself. CMA does offer refunds on their products.

All disagreements are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Waxman. I`m struggling with a good definition for "slickness". Mine still feels and looks silky smooth, especially after the BF QD. Granted, it is after only two washes, so technically the jury is still out.

I am, however, still perplexed by the dust thing. I`ll keep an eye on it and post updates as available.

Post Thanks / Like
    SouthernBoy, haha, love your signature!

Waxman, would you consider a sample swap?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information