Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you all find time to do the whole car? I can only find time to do parts of the car. Is this bad for the car, is it a neccessity

to do the whole car...

"Married ..with children"

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have two kids,a wife,a house,a 2 acre yard and work 6 days a week so I know how you feel You are on the right track I often do my truck in stages wash it one day and then do a little at a time after the kids are in bed or at lunch or when ever I can get a couple of minutes.:up Take care and good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Do a panel at a time. Do it well. The results will last that way. Much better than rushing to get it all done. It never looks good and you end up needing to redo much sooner.

It doesn`t hurt to do a bit at a time if thats all you can do.

I assume "Let`s go wax the car!" is not accepted bonding time in your family? Get your priorities straight, man!

The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get one day to spend getting the car really clean and protected, the way you want it - then with proper care you can go for a year or more just paying extra attention to a panel that bugs you. I do this. The hood, trunk lid and upper fenders show the most so i spend the most time on them - there is nothing wrong with doing it this way. Just know that any polishing/cleaning steps will pretty much remove any protection you have - so find a wax product you like that allows you to do the whole car easily when you`re done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually wake up before dawn on Saturdays and Sundays to detail my cars. That`ll give me a good 4-5 hours each day before my wife wakes up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have 2 kids, 4 and 8, I let them do the simple things like vacum and rinse. When they get tired of that I let them detail there bikes with some cheap wax and wash. This will keep them busy at least 1 to 1.5 hrs. After that my wife will take them and let me finish. My boys now look foward to helping and doing there own bikes. Try it

Post Thanks / Like
    It can be tough to fit in time for detailing. I have no kids and I am not married and sometimes I still have trouble finding time. I detail my parents cars and my girlfriends car for free, so when I need to work on the cars they don`t complain.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    HERE is the answer.

I live in a court so there is virtually no traffic. While I`m washing the car the kids can ride their bikes and play in the court. They like to help out too so I let them spray the bubbles off after washing. Then they can hose down the driveway and front gutter if they are feeling spunky. I try to keep it fun for them. My six year old is picking it and I`m starting to let him help me with other small car/garage chores. Eventually we`ll be a dynamo cleaning team!

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    The good thing about some of the products that we use is that they last so long on our cars you can do them in parts. I like to detail at night in the garage. If I had kids, the would be in bed, the wife would be holding the flashlight

Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Short Cut [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>HERE is the answer.

I live in a court so there is virtually no traffic. While I`m washing the car the kids can ride their bikes and play in the court. They like to help out too so I let them spray the bubbles off after washing. Then they can hose down the driveway and front gutter if they are feeling spunky. I try to keep it fun for them. My six year old is picking it and I`m starting to let him help me with other small car/garage chores. Eventually we`ll be a dynamo cleaning team! [/b]</blockquote>
    eeekk Kids, Bikes, and black Car!

I have to make special arrangments to get my truck done in time. Usually involves waking up earlier than normal and doing it in stages. It usually takes me a few days to find the time to do everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great replies.......will take many into consideration...

The idea of "the wife holding the flashlight as i detail"..... does duck tape over her mouth sound good too....

I have a one year old and 3 year old who want too be with daddy (mommy`s boring) I will keep your ideas in mind for there later years....now i will get up early, stay up later...and maybe take a day off...

thks

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JeffBruce [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Great replies.......will take many into consideration...

The idea of "the wife holding the flashlight as i detail"..... does duck tape over her mouth sound good too....
    [/b]</blockquote>
    I`ve got some Floodlights. They work really well when trying to dry my truck at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Daddy is always the fun parent!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I sluff work to detail my car. I`m blessed with a great job though so sluffing is actually pretty easy. I`m also lucky (somewhat) because my wife and I have different days off. We are your typical DINK family. I like having my weekends to detail my car. The only downside, aside from not getting to spend as much time together, is she always has her car with her so I never get to do it. While my car has more than a few layers of SG and PPG her car only has 1XAIO, 3XSG, and I`ve only been able to PPG it 3 times this year. Oh well. If she would just drive the Acura to work on a Saturday I would do her car but she likes her automatic. women!
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,

I`ve got an 8yr old son and a 13mth old girl and another one on the way. Early and late is the only way to go. I often also use the stages method. I also have my detailing business at least 2 weekends a month.

Remember you should only be having to put in some heavy time, 6/10hr, on the vehicle every 4/6 months. the rest of the time 60-90 min/wk should be enough for upkeep

The only other option you have is to get a trusted detailer that you know or have references from. Pay the $150 to get the car in mint condition and then just do the upkeep i.e. weekly washings, QDing, dressing tires etc. I`m not talking about some hack you have to make sure the guy is going be worth every penny. If you find the right mobile detailer they may be able to free up somemore family time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information