Post Thanks / Like
    I like the X5s.

Hyundai interiors are garbage.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Hyundai has come a long way and just keeps improving. i wouldn`t hesitate to purchase a genesis coupe/sedan, or the new sonata (this coming from a Honda fan). do people honestly think they weren`t going to improve/strive (everyone makes mistakes at first and if they aren`t improving then they are in the wrong field) and do better? Hyundai along with Ford have been doing great with advertising and improving their overall quality (Hyundai ranks 4th in inital quality 2009 JD Power Associates and is the first non-luxury brand that is right below the three other luxury brands ahead of them) and giving more for the money. the new Equus is coming soon as is the new Avante (Elantra in the states) which is like a little brother of the Sonata...

Hyundai Equus(V8) vs Lexus Ls 460(V8) vs Bmw 745i(V8)

J.D. Power Releases 2009 Initial Quality Study Results

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I think they have come a long way since the early days and they definitely have my attention in both appearance, build quality, value, and performance. Lets not forget about the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty.
    absolutely agreed...

I love European cars, but IMO they are over priced and cost of maintenance is a concern.
    my uncle (he owns a wrecking yard and knows how parts get very expensive) purchased a brand new Lexus LS460 last year and this is one reason why he went with it over a BMW for the long run...

Ford has also caught my attention lately too, where Honda and Toyota have started to loose my interest...which is hard to say since I`ve always loved them.
    agreed again, i`ve seen spy shots of the new civic (always loved the long history of them) but have a feeling it`s not going to look that much different than the last gen...

Post Thanks / Like
    Honda and toyota have gone into making appliances with 4 wheels. I miss the days of the Prelude, Celica, Supra, S2000, etc.

Ford seems to have their stuff together, I`m waiting on the new Focus and will go from there (if the Taurus SHO was cheaper I`d be all over that).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy YZF View Post
    Honda and toyota have gone into making appliances with 4 wheels. I miss the days of the Prelude, Celica, Supra, S2000, etc.

Ford seems to have their stuff together, I`m waiting on the new Focus and will go from there (if the Taurus SHO was cheaper I`d be all over that).
    I concur! To bad really...the Prelude is an all time favorite of mine! I`ve owned 3 of them.
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    I concur! To bad really...the Prelude is an all time favorite of mine! I`ve owned 3 of them.
    I had an 87 Prelude :-B

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I had an 87 Prelude :-B
    Me too! Si!

This was my favorite though...and my first car. Bought it for $1900, gave it a complete repaint, put on about 80,000 miles and I later sold it for $3800

Rasky`s Auto Detailing

That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never thought I would own a Hyundai but I`ve had three since 2003. Currently have an Elantra and a Sonata - both have been great cars, much better than the GM, Ford, VW or Audi cars I`ve owned.

I tried out the Genesis coupe (both manual and automatic) and found them to be very spirited, more than I need and about what I want - almost as good as the Nissan Z in handling. I was impressed.

The Genesis land cruiser was very comfortable and the automatic transmision, a 6-speed automatic transmission from ZF Friedrichshafen (identical to the unit found in the BMW 5-Series), was responsive and smooth - car is just too large for me.

As to Asian / Euro / US, many (most?) Hyundais are made in the USA (my Sonata was made in Alabama) and the design / engineering is often from Europe - the same can be said of Ford products.

I`ll buy another Hyundai but I tend to run my vehicles until they are used up. I did trade up from my first Elantra to my Sonata - sold the Elantra with 188,543 miles on it. In that time I had the following expenses (other than consumables, tires and wind screens): timing belt, front ball joint, battery, clutch position switch (under warranty) and fuel rail pressure damper (also under warranty) - that`s it.

The Sonata is a little over 3 years old, has 110k miles on it. It has been to the Hyundai shop once for a safety recall issue (new sun visors) and once to replace a head restraint (under warranty) - no other expenses (other than consumables, tires and a wind screen). At this rate my Sonata should go another 100k miles.

I like my Made In The USA Hyundai and will buy it again.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure there will always be a car marque for everyone`s needs and that is the best thing we could ever have, right ?

I was raised on all kinds of American iron, worked in shops that fixed Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, and BMW, and made the switch over about 11 years ago to Bimmer, and have been very happy.

Yes, they are more expensive to maintain, they cost way more, and now the pricing is completely out of sight, but boy, do they DRIVE great!! They have always been driver`s cars, and I cant think of anything better to take on a long trip than any Bimmer.

BMW does and pretty much always done all their testing at the Nurburgring track and has shops at the track, they have the Autobahn to play on, and it shows with the vehicles they turn out.

They all have great brakes and you always know what the car is doing outside.

Their history is a great story to read, the same people, the Quandt family has held the aces for the company for the longest time.

Their factory in Spartanburg SC employs a few thousand people I believe, and they are heavily into doing the green thing more than most factories are today.

They once made a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder twin turbocharged engine that put out excess of 1200hp! It was so fast, even at speed, it broke the tires loose when you stepped on the gas. And this was in the 80`s when the techonology was not even close to what it is today..

I like all the new technology in all cars, and am glad everyone is doing really well and trying to help us all afford them, but I will probably always make our highway car a Bimmer... But that`s just me..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I am sure there will always be a car marque for everyone`s needs and that is the best thing we could ever have, right ?

I was raised on all kinds of American iron, worked in shops that fixed Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, and BMW, and made the switch over about 11 years ago to Bimmer, and have been very happy.

Yes, they are more expensive to maintain, they cost way more, and now the pricing is completely out of sight, but boy, do they DRIVE great!! They have always been driver`s cars, and I cant think of anything better to take on a long trip than any Bimmer.

BMW does and pretty much always done all their testing at the Nurburgring track and has shops at the track, they have the Autobahn to play on, and it shows with the vehicles they turn out.

They all have great brakes and you always know what the car is doing outside.

Their history is a great story to read, the same people, the Quandt family has held the aces for the company for the longest time.

Their factory in Spartanburg SC employs a few thousand people I believe, and they are heavily into doing the green thing more than most factories are today.

They once made a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder twin turbocharged engine that put out excess of 1200hp! It was so fast, even at speed, it broke the tires loose when you stepped on the gas. And this was in the 80`s when the techonology was not even close to what it is today..

I like all the new technology in all cars, and am glad everyone is doing really well and trying to help us all afford them, but I will probably always make our highway car a Bimmer... But that`s just me..
    Dan F
    Hard to argue with that one. Of the few I`ve driven I have been very impressed and you do feel very in touch with the car and the road.
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gewb View Post
    Never thought I would own a Hyundai but I`ve had three since 2003. Currently have an Elantra and a Sonata - both have been great cars, much better than the GM, Ford, VW or Audi cars I`ve owned.

I tried out the Genesis coupe (both manual and automatic) and found them to be very spirited, more than I need and about what I want - almost as good as the Nissan Z in handling. I was impressed.

The Genesis land cruiser was very comfortable and the automatic transmision, a 6-speed automatic transmission from ZF Friedrichshafen (identical to the unit found in the BMW 5-Series), was responsive and smooth - car is just too large for me.

As to Asian / Euro / US, many (most?) Hyundais are made in the USA (my Sonata was made in Alabama) and the design / engineering is often from Europe - the same can be said of Ford products.

I`ll buy another Hyundai but I tend to run my vehicles until they are used up. I did trade up from my first Elantra to my Sonata - sold the Elantra with 188,543 miles on it. In that time I had the following expenses (other than consumables, tires and wind screens): timing belt, front ball joint, battery, clutch position switch (under warranty) and fuel rail pressure damper (also under warranty) - that`s it.

The Sonata is a little over 3 years old, has 110k miles on it. It has been to the Hyundai shop once for a safety recall issue (new sun visors) and once to replace a head restraint (under warranty) - no other expenses (other than consumables, tires and a wind screen). At this rate my Sonata should go another 100k miles.

I like my Made In The USA Hyundai and will buy it again.

Regards,
    GEWB
    just to add.. the genesis coupe and new sonata were designed in irvine, california...
    http://www.hatci.com/locations_CA.aspx

thought this commercial was pretty cool...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNQqblVzss

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to sell my 2004 FX35 and get a new car. I was looking at the Hyundai Genesis and the Equus. The Equus is not coming to the local dealer and it would be too difficult to do a deal with the trade-through I want to do. I sat in one at the car show and was very impressed. I have driven the Genesis and loved it. I will end up going with the Lincoln MKX though. It is a tech lover`s dream and has options the Hyundai Genesis does not (heated wheel, cooled pass seat) as well as a rear DVD system for the kids. The Hyundai SUV`s are not in the same category yet. I`m sure they will be one day if they choose to chase that market too. I actually have the MKX in my garage today trying it out for the weekend. Very impressed so far in the Ford. (Hyundai does not have a 10 year warranty in Canada either).

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too! Si!

This was my favorite though...and my first car. Bought it for $1900, gave it a complete repaint, put on about 80,000 miles and I later sold it for $3800

Blast from Past @-)

Mine was identical other then the chrome panels :-B

Post Thanks / Like
    Hyundai shows that a company can make great progress in engineering and manufacturing cars people want. They will evolve but doubt they will go for "engineering" level (along with the cost, complexity, maintenance needs) of some of the more expensive cars.

This means Chinese designed cars (although GM has been using Chinese resources to do work in the Buick) are probably going to be arriving in te years ahead.

It just shows that problems at Chrysler, etc. is not about where it is designed but about the people running the company and the skills can be acquired.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    Hyundai has come a long way and just keeps improving. i wouldn`t hesitate to purchase a genesis coupe/sedan, or the new sonata (this coming from a Honda fan). do people honestly think they weren`t going to improve/strive (everyone makes mistakes at first and if they aren`t improving then they are in the wrong field) and do better? Hyundai along with Ford have been doing great with advertising and improving their overall quality (Hyundai ranks 4th in inital quality 2009 JD Power Associates and is the first non-luxury brand that is right below the three other luxury brands ahead of them) and giving more for the money. the new Equus is coming soon as is the new Avante (Elantra in the states) which is like a little brother of the Sonata...

Hyundai Equus(V8) vs Lexus Ls 460(V8) vs Bmw 745i(V8)

J.D. Power Releases 2009 Initial Quality Study Results
    Looks Cool!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information