Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    If I would have been able to really select the transmission on my Z I would have gotten a manual tranny. But hey, when you`re a first time car buyer, with no credit and very little down payment and the GM of the car dealership just approved you to go home with a Z that night, you say THANK YOU, grab the keys and get the hell out of there before he realized what he just did. :p

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manual is getting less and less popular..at least where I live. It seems to "me" that more and more people are opting for the auto w/ sportronic. In the past 2 years, i`ve also seen a lot more cars coming wit the option. Unfortunately, I don`t know how to drive stick. Nobody in the family has stick . All my friend`s cars that are stick are to nice, i`d fell really bad if i broke something. The extent of me driving stick is driving a friend`s stang one nite in a parkin lot. He ran me through it and i did a couple of laps and thats it. I almost had a car(stick) for free the beginning of this year. A good friend of mine was visiting relatives over the holidays, and his uncle said some guy wanted to get rid of an old Audi. The guy was storing it at my friend`s uncle`s house and just wanted to trash it. My friend and I were gonna go half on plates/registration and 6 month insurance. Prob cost a lot but we would learn how to drive stick, and if we broke it we would junk it. Unfortunately his ex threw out the keys and title . That and our folks werent thrilled wit us driving this car kinda killed our dreams. I really like my truck and wouldn`t want in stick. But for my next car I am only concerned about 2 things: stick and good mileage. I think the fact that I can switch gears is so cool and outweights the stop and go traffic. Even if it is because im young, I would still like to own and be able to drive stick for my next car. I just hope for my future car, I am able to maintain my perfect driving record without any stops from the cops. I`m sure manual transmission is so much more tempting to just open it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Rarely are "sports cars" driven in their intended environment - the race course. So in theory the absolute necessity for a manual is mute, especially in real world driving.

I`ll take a Porsche, Vette, BMW, Lexus SC or IS anyway someone will give it to me. If I am buying and for frequent use the Porsche would be the only one I would demand a manual.

Oh, to be young again with 2 good hips and the ignorance and inexperience to drive like a bat out of hell on public roads with my under- powered and manually shifted( comparatively: TR-6, Rx7, MGB, 320i, Acura Legend) "sportscars.

NOT!!!

It`s not about theory or intended evnvironment, it`s about intended PURPOSE. Buying a sports car in automatic is like buying a Camry and supercharging it. The purpose is faulty.

You buy a sports car, at least in part, for the driving experience, and driving an automatic negates the experience.

Real world driving? I will take a manual over auto anyday, even in rush hour traffic in NYC because it gives me something to do in the traffic instead of aimlessly and mindlessly rolling with one foot half way depressed on the brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by russellp23

For me the only way to go is manual. It "torques" me to no end to see a beautiful "sports car", only to look inside and see an automatic tranny. I think it`s a waste of the intended use of the car.

:up , Well said and I could not agree more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BlueDragonZ

If I would have been able to really select the transmission on my Z I would have gotten a manual tranny. But hey, when you`re a first time car buyer, with no credit and very little down payment and the GM of the car dealership just approved you to go home with a Z that night, you say THANK YOU, grab the keys and get the hell out of there before he realized what he just did. :p

Ok, you like or love your car and it is a nice *** car too, that`s all that matters, but please don`t throw up the rebuttal of "manual mode", or "shiftronic" etc., it is NO where NEAR the same and marketing garbage IMO. It tries to make auto drivers more confident in their purchase of a sports car in auto because it has "high tech" manumatic crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill just say this, everyone has their own preferences. For me, I started with an automatic transmission. Yes, we all know autos are used in drag racing, but those transmissions are heavy duty, and probablly cost at least 15 grand because they are very high tech. Yes you can upgrade your transmission, but youll have to run a tranny cooler bc autos run hotter and can fail. Personally, if I had to get a family car, I would probably get an automatic just because its convienient for a family. However, for just my own car, its definitely a stick(i drive one now, and I dont want to go back). Now sports cars, dont even get me started on that. Its either a manual or nothing, I refuse to buy an auto sports car and that includes manumatic.

Also, look at the maitenance of an automatic transmission. It will at least cost you 50 bucks to do a fluid change on the transmission, whereas it can cost 10-12 if you have a manual( 11 qts vs 2qts). Only downfall is with a stick, the clutch might go, but automatics go just as well.

To each his own, but I love shifting too much to give it up. Besides, drag is overrated, auto cross is for real drivers.
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    See, for me, the choice of transmission isn`t about which gives more power, which has better technology, or which is more popular...

When I get behind the wheel of my mx-5, I`m one with the car. I control it. Every function of that car is designated by a hand or foot movement of mine. When I want to go. I go. When I want to stop, I stop. When I want to bounce off of the rev limiter, I do. When I want to drift around a corner, I blip the throttle, downshift, cut the wheel and let loose.

Somehow, between the time I leave work, and the time I get to my front door, all of my troubles disappear. It`s just me, my crinkle black round shift knob, and the 3 pedals at my feet. The top goes down, and poof: No worries, no concerns, nothing but pleasure and happiness.

It`s a feeling that you can`t get in an automatic, triptronic, or any other form of technology. It`s not about being the first off of the line, or being able to hold your cell phone, starbucks, and change the radio station, all while travelling down the freeway.

Sure, this may not be the reason everyone buys their cars, but that`s why I buy mine.

If you can`t go fast with 90 hp, 900 won`t help you. - Bwob

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blackntan

See, for me, the choice of transmission isn`t about which gives more power, which has better technology, or which is more popular...

When I get behind the wheel of my mx-5, I`m one with the car. I control it. Every function of that car is designated by a hand or foot movement of mine. When I want to go. I go. When I want to stop, I stop. When I want to bounce off of the rev limiter, I do. When I want to drift around a corner, I blip the throttle, downshift, cut the wheel and let loose.

Somehow, between the time I leave work, and the time I get to my front door, all of my troubles disappear. It`s just me, my crinkle black round shift knob, and the 3 pedals at my feet. The top goes down, and poof: No worries, no concerns, nothing but pleasure and happiness.

It`s a feeling that you can`t get in an automatic, triptronic, or any other form of technology. It`s not about being the first off of the line, or being able to hold your cell phone, starbucks, and change the radio station, all while travelling down the freeway.

Sure, this may not be the reason everyone buys their cars, but that`s why I buy mine.

Bump to this. Kinda makes you feel all warm inside doesn`t it :xyxthumbs ?
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blackntan

:xyxthumbs Yup, that`s the zen; I kind of got goosebumps reading your post:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by l7avis

It tries to make auto drivers more confident in their purchase of a sports car in auto because it has "high tech" manumatic crap.

Ohh, is that what they`re used for ?? Thanks for clearing that up.

:p

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    blackntan sounds like a commericial..lol. Do you also hug your car and it hug you back like on the new mazda rx8 commercials???

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BlueDragonZ

Ohh, is that what they`re used for ?? Thanks for clearing that up.

:p

It`s ok, you are the victim not the crime.

Post Thanks / Like
    It "torques" me to no end to see a beautiful "sports car", only to look inside and see an automatic tranny. I think it`s a waste of the intended use of the car.

You buy a sports car, at least in part, for the driving experience, and driving an automatic negates the experience.

No worries, no concerns, nothing but pleasure and happiness.

You`re killing me here Oh, to be twenty and immortal again! Or even forty

Heh heh, all this "no autos" stuff is easy for you guys with fully functional hips/knees/etc. to say I can heel & toe double clutch better than most people, but I`m not gonna limp my way through life because of a transmission, and there are a LOT of people FAR worse off than I am. If it lets somebody enjoy a cool car, what`s the problem? It`s like saying that anyone who can`t see iron sights shouldn`t shoot because you don`t like optical sights.

See, I`m touchy about this because I miss driving a stick

*I* won`t buy one with an automatic, but in my case that means no sportscar. I`m just not gonna schedule my leg workouts and my cardio around knee soreness from driving a car any more. Yeah, I HATE the auto in the WRX, but I can drive it whenever I want to.

I agree that the whole auto-in-a-sportscar thing is a bit but in some cases it`s the only way a skillful but disabled driver can enjoy such a car. It`s not JUST for airheads who want to drive an ego-booster to the club.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did your body get damaged from driving manual?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by hondaguy2582
    Yes, we all know autos are used in drag racing, but those transmissions are heavy duty, and probablly cost at least 15 grand because they are very high tech.

$1000-2500 from S/S to full Strip (s/s a little over the cost of a stock rebuild) for $2500 you can get full strip version with a trans brake and two step.

Yes you can upgrade your transmission, but youll have to run a tranny cooler bc autos run hotter and can fail.

$25-80 for a decent one Lesser in price than a short shifter for a rocket (no pun intended).

Personally, if I had to get a family car, I would probably get an automatic just because its convienient for a family. However, for just my own car, its definitely a stick(i drive one now, and I dont want to go back). Now sports cars, dont even get me started on that. Its either a manual or nothing, I refuse to buy an auto sports car and that includes manumatic.

All gravy . I can`t knock you for your opinion. My above & below statements were just corrections to your assumptions.

Also, look at the maitenance of an automatic transmission. It will at least cost you 50 bucks to do a fluid change on the transmission, whereas it can cost 10-12 if you have a manual( 11 qts vs 2qts).

Correction, about $20-35 depending if you drain the converter and that also includes the filter.

Only downfall is with a stick, the clutch might go, but automatics go just as well.

True. But i`ve got a buddy with a 500hp 408W with a strip C4 that has made over 300 passes and no rebuilds yet. If you clutch drop at 5000+rpm you`re hurting a lot more things in a manual.

To each his own.

:xyxthumbs

Oh, by the way. I`m not knockin manual trannies. If I were to race autocross or open track then i`m all for manual transmissions. It`s the only way to fly. Drag or street lights, i`ll stick with the auto to kick some butt. It awesome to brag about lifting the front wheels off the ground on the STREET when launching using an AUTO.

Erik

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information