Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have plenty of Torque ( 350+) so automatic is great for me. When I feel like stepping back in time I pull out one of my classics (350 - 500+ ft/lbs) to remind me of the fun but also the pain it creates in my "bad" left hip after a few blocks of traffic.

Crank-up the tones, step on the gas, and devote the majority of my energy trying to get it going in the intended direction.:scared

If I drove an micro-block low torque ( true measure of power ) engined vehicle for the fun of driving, I would definitely go with manual.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Daily driver 100 miles a day commute (not your grandfathers Volvo )S80 T6 w-speed "Geartronic" + auto) $40K price range.

Jag and Merc (only way to go) manual
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SVT01

Manual...manual...manual... but the Cobra clutch is murder in traffic. I have never felt a stiffer clutch pedal!

I`ll second that clutch...its as hard to depress as my old man`s Corvette--and that`s 30 yrs old!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulatorette and I both always swore we`d ALWAYS prefer manuals, but at the moment all our cars are automatics There *IS* something very satisfying about a heel & toe double clutch, but honestly, I can live without having to do it all the time on the street. If we were doing track days we`d still have manuals, though.

[Little voice asks:] Gee, maybe we`re getting older?

FWIW, our WRX is an automatic (impulse buy when my left knee REALLY wasn`t working right) and it *SUCKS*!!! Truly SO frustrating for two people who are used to cars like that always having manuals that we`re constantly considering selling it, now that my knee`s OK. Low torque+turbo lag+tight torque converter+ trying to shift it manually when you`re used to non-linear shift patterns=terrible combination!

Oh great, typing this has me sorta missing the C5 :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Its fun to drive my daughters Honda manual. With the HP its got it needs a manual.

Much more fun to drive the STS cause it dont need no stinking manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both of my Honda`s are manuals. I just had my 4-speed swapped for a 5-speed on my hatchback 3 days ago as a matter of fact. i think smaller engines ned a manual to make them go. However, I would not mind owning a nice Lexus automatic. Sometimes a manual is a pain...a.k.a. traffic jams.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like standard transmission. My first two cars both had standard. My 1972 Chevy Nomad (Chevelle station wagon) had a manual tranny and part of the fun was that no one believed it was standard transmission. I hated having a foot activated parking brake though. What genius came up with that idea? When I`m stopped on a hill I need a hand brake - I don`t have three feet.

My 1967 GMC truck (step van) also had standard transmission. It had the smoothest clutch I`ve ever used. It was hydraulic. I found out it was hydraulic when there was a hole in the clutch line. It also had a hand brake.

My Volvo has automatic. I was disappointed, but really wanted that car. Now I`m glad. I have underground parking, so I have to "stop on a hill" every single time I take the car out of the garage. I think I might have gotten tired of standard transmission by now.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    i just love the ability to shift ahead of ppl without having to wait for a stupid torque convertor to do it for me. I know maybe I`ll change when i get older, but until I do, I`ll stick with the manual transmission. One thing I will never do though(no matter what age), is own a sports car in an automatic(if it don`t have a clutch, i don`t want it). Shifting just gives me freedom, traffic or not, and I enjoy driving more.
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    20 years ago drag racers thought the the quickest way thru the 1/4 mile was with a manual. Even than the clutch was rarely used ( speed shifting). Manuals are almost extinct in classes that allow both types of trannies.

I love both and own both. The best of both world. Hi-powered Automatics for daily excursions (300+ hp and torque on 2 (LS400 and Z28), hi gas mileage on Excort wagon).

Classic manuals for trips back into my "boy racer" days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

FWIW, our WRX is an automatic (impulse buy when my left knee REALLY wasn`t working right) and it *SUCKS*!!! Truly SO frustrating for two people who are used to cars like that always having manuals that we`re constantly considering selling it, now that my knee`s OK. Low torque+turbo lag+tight torque converter+ trying to shift it manually when you`re used to non-linear shift patterns=terrible combination!

Reminds me of our Passat - 1.8T, no chip, turbo lag, slushbox... it`s truly frustrating in traffic!

Post Thanks / Like
    For me the only way to go is manual. It "torques" me to no end to see a beautiful "sports car", only to look inside and see an automatic tranny. I think it`s a waste of the intended use of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by russellp23

For me the only way to go is manual. It "torques" me to no end to see a beautiful "sports car", only to look inside and see an automatic tranny. I think it`s a waste of the intended use of the car.

Rarely are "sports cars" driven in their intended environment - the race course. So in theory the absolute necessity for a manual is mute, especially in real world driving.

I`ll take a Porsche, Vette, BMW, Lexus SC or IS anyway someone will give it to me. If I am buying and for frequent use the Porsche would be the only one I would demand a manual.

Oh, to be young again with 2 good hips and the ignorance and inexperience to drive like a bat out of hell on public roads with my under- powered and manually shifted( comparatively: TR-6, Rx7, MGB, 320i, Acura Legend) "sportscars.

NOT!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CJ from Granite Bay, CA

Which type of transmission do you prefer manual or automatic. Some automatics give the driver the feeling of shifting through the gears. However, using a manual tranny and shifting through the gears, bringing that tach up to the red line and chirping the tires is a different story.

Hey CJ,

I see you`ve got a `68 CS Mustang. :up

I`ve got a `66 Mustang Fastback with a beefed up engine and tranny. But my transmission is a C4 prepped with street/strip internals. It also has a reverse manual valve body. Very stout made by www.dynamicracingtrans.com .

It`s a 3 speed auto, but i can chirp the tires on all 2 shifts. It can get a little hair raising on the 2nd shift if your break traction too much though. This is on the street by the way.

When it comes to drag racing, consistency is a major factor in winning. Hitting those manual shifts in the C4 auto (including launching perfectly EVERYTIME) will win races. You don`t have to worry about missed shifts and such.

Erik

Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

FWIW, our WRX is an automatic

Low torque+turbo lag+tight torque converter+ trying to shift it manually when you`re used to non-linear shift patterns=terrible combination!

That`s the difference between V8 american muscle and I4 rockets. No pun intended.

Honestly, I think it`s a waste that import performance manufacturers don`t develop performance stall convertors for SCCs. They make all kinds of engine and look mods. But it`s truly pathetic to see 500hp Honda motors go down the strip 5 times only for it to break on the 6th pass everytime. Speaking with an import racer, he almost expects it to break after the 5th pass. To my knowledge there is no company that makes performance manual or automatic transmissions. It`s a wide open market for anyone to start making very good money in. CV joints, axles, transmissions are all weak points in import performance.

Just my opinion.

Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    MANUAL
    03 Platinum Gray VW Jetta

Mobile Detailer in Seattle

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information