Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I came from an automatic saturn to a stick shift Camaro SS and I like standard alot more. I don`t mind the traffic or the stop and go in the city, it`s a little trade off when your friend is trying to eat something and you dump the clutch and the food is one with his face :p or when you want to launch. I don`t know, it`s just more fun, that`s why I got a sports car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joed you are correct at 19 y.o. When I lived in Boston at that age manual was the way to go. More sporty. But at 48 y.o automatic is my cup of tea. I am as fast if not faster off the line than 95% of manual trans and with over 300 hp and plenty of low end torque sustaining acceleration is no problem. I have owned many manuals in my younger days ( VW,TR6, Rx7, BMW, Acura and several trucks).These were small displacement engined cars in which manual trans aided them in better performance. Nevertheless, with the traffic situation these days the joy of cruising has been almost completely demolished, working a clutch is added displeasure to me. I would like to revisit this question with you in 20 years and see if your view has changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

I would like to revisit this question with you in 20 years and see if your view has changed.

haha I plan to get a second car, something easy to drive, not so fast and it will be an automatic.

I`ve always heard to take the standard when the car can use the manual tranny to squeeze a few more ounces of power but if your going to go with a car as fast as our Camaros then just spend more time holding on then shifting.

Post Thanks / Like
    HeHeHeHe :xyxthumbs Joed

Post Thanks / Like
    In a car, even a big sedan, I would prefer a stick. But on a full size truck, no way, unless I was doing really heavy duty 4 wheeling. However, I haven`t driven one of the tipronic cars yet.

Having said all this though, I am not a parent, so I don`t have to worry about having either of my hands available to break up fights in the family-mobile, or stop someone from hangingout of a window.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

I would like to revisit this question with you in 20 years and see if your view has changed.
    Yeah, why is this? My dad gave up @ 32!! I`ve been real spoiled myself, current and last car are autos. Everytime I drive a stick now I realize why people say that they are a PITA.
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    Id rather a 2hp manual car than a 500hp auto car. I hate automatic transmissions with a passion. Even the shift levers in autos look uglier than their manual counterparts lolol!

-Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    gotta be manual for me, gives me a sense a control over an auto box. but haveing said that i would go for auto when in london traffic, its a nightmare!
    The man who constantly strives for perfection, knows that there never is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently I enjoy driving too much for most of the automatics on the market. I think the electronic controled clutch like the BMW SMGII or Ferrari F1 are great and I could easily live with one of those for any car, but the normal auto or the torque converter manual/auto`s are annoying. The normal auto transmissions are so geared towards fuel economy that it is annoying for anytype of fun driving. It never fails that when I want to "squirt" through traffic or a corner in the wife`s BMW it has to downshift. However, in my fun car, I just keep the gear so that I am sitting right in the heart of the power band (I never shift before 4000k rpm) and just punch and go. Nothing is more fun that to cruise at 3500k in second and just punch and go. BTW age wise I am 35. I don`t see an automatic transmission in my primary driver anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Manual. The day I got my learners permit I started driving a manual and will never drive an automatic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Manual... although my dream is an M3... so I`m going to debate true manual vs SMG for the next 10 years until I can actually afford one...

what do you think? just love the feel of the clutch? or could you go for SMG?
    Michael

Hummer may have seven slots, but it`s not spelled JEEP.

Post Thanks / Like
    on another note... I miss manual so much...

I drove my friends WRX tonight... oh man what a good time
    Michael

Hummer may have seven slots, but it`s not spelled JEEP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never tried SMG, not sure... wouldn`t quite be "THE SAME" but better than automagic.

Post Thanks / Like
    i enjoy shifting on my own, not having a computer do it for me!!!!!! In other words, I drive with 3 pedals, not 2.
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    Manual for me as well. I live to DRIVE the car and not just be along for the ride

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information