Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forum 7 has my dream workbench and chemical supply....... yikes man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Test all the crap now! Bad weather is the best test for durability - of course, it`s not very good for the fingers, but hey - that`s why you`ve got ten of them..

Post Thanks / Like
    forum 7 --

WOW!

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JohnN [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Test all the crap now! Bad weather is the best test for durability - of course, it`s not very good for the fingers, but hey - that`s why you`ve got ten of them.. [/b]</blockquote>
    yeah I froze my fingers off because I was outside while it was snowing earlier putting dressing on my tires in the driveway...... :p

got some mighty strange looks from the neighbors! :bounce :up

Post Thanks / Like
    SLP don`t feel bad. I drove my truck today and will all the snow melting it was a real mess. As soon as I got home I got a bucket out with some warm water and started to wash it down. This with snow and ice all over the driveway.

I could see the neighbors in their house shaking their heads at me. The only problem was that it was too cold to QD..LOL
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    All I know is that the next time the wife groans about how many detailing products I own, I`m flashing a picture of Forum7`s garage there...

Not that it`ll help, but at least she`ll know I`m not alone

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Eurosport [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I see Geekysteve has TWO black cases and a Black bucket. Would those be Zymol products I wonder?

I have been trying to get one of those cases from Zymol but at $200 per case, I think I will wait a while. [/b]</blockquote>
    Yep, that`s the $300 kit from Zymol. The other is one of my PC cases (I ordered a Griot`s version a long time ago and kept the case).

Not pictured are the three high $$ Zymol`s - Atlantique, Destiny and Vintage. Those just arrived and are sitting in the closet.

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JohnN[/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Test all the crap now! Bad weather is the best test for durability - of course, it`s not very good for the fingers, but hey - that`s why you`ve got ten of them.. [/b]</blockquote>
    I agree, but our last panels were exposed to snow/ice for about 1.5 weeks, and the waxes "died" almost immediately after that, so we`re going to wait for at least a week or two of nice weather. Plus, we`re planning more things for this test so we`re requiring a little additional "ramp-up" time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d hate to think of how much money you`ve spent on all those great products. Include the Zymol higher priced waxes and you come out with a pretty nice total. I sure wish I had the ability to splurge on more quality car care products. But I need to save! Laters

Post Thanks / Like
    file:///C:/My%20Documents/DSC00014.JPG file:///C:/My%20Documents/DSC00017.JPG Sorry babout the poor lighting
    Fmr Nascar,Arca & USAC driver

96 Mitsu GST
    02 Vette Z06
    03 S2000

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Forum7,

WOW that is impressive! I notice you`re in San Diego. If you ever start thinking about having a garage sale or showing off the cars you use that stuff on, give me a call

puterbum

Post Thanks / Like
    Yet another SOCALian, welcome. I do not prefer the garage sale, but if you`re feeling charitable PM me!

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on `63 Corvette (dreaming)

(Hey BIll, this one is for you!)

So today I`m talking with a guy who is (has been) trying to purchase a `63 Corvette. He didn`t say much about it other than it has the "powerful engine" (that must be the FI 327/360hp) - didn`t say if it`s the split window or convertable, didn`t say the color.

What he did say is the car has 13,000 original miles and has been sitting up on blocks for decades (fluids drained). Interior is covered and he said it looks great but the paint is oxidized.

He`s trying to get the 74 year old owner to sell it - they`ve been talking for a year!

Anyway, if this guy does buy it (he hopes by this time next year) I have a shot at working on the finish...that is after he replaces all the seals, hoses, shocks, etc.

A nice dream for him and me. So, if his dream comes true, what can anyone tell me about the `63 paint job? Time would not be an issue and the work would be done in a heated/cooled garage. (Of course I would recommend he have some panels removed before doing the mechanical work to avoid finish problems.)

As a side bar, what would a `63 (any version) with 13k original miles be worth on the market?

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    If it`s original lacquer, it`s very soft and easy to work with. The oxidation will polish out very easily, scratches as well. You have to be careful about how thin the paint might be, so take it slow and easy.

Also something to note. The oxidation will come back quickly. A matter of a couple months and it will need another very light polishing/sealing. It will continue to need polishing twice a year.

I`d recommend using an RO polisher speed 4 with white pad and M205 to start. That will give you an idea if you need to go a little more aggressive.

Just be very careful especially on the sharp edges of the fenders. Look for thin spots in the paint and avoid them... do them by hand.

It`s easy to go through that old lacquer, so err on the side of caution. It won`t ever be perfect, but you can make it look a thousand times better!

The current market for mid-years has really dropped since 2007. It`s a buyer`s market right now for classic Vettes. Even split windows! If it`s 360 horse, that means it`s a fuelie and pretty rare and highly desirable. I would think he could buy it in the 60`s if it`s a coupe, 45-50 if it`s a roadster. (But the owner may be insulted by an offer like that!)

A buddy of mine just sold his `63 split window, black/black 340 hp 4spd... low mileage, all original, numbers matching, number 1 condition for $50k. The buyer got it for a steal!

5 years ago these cars would go into the 100`s.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, the value of the car really depends on the condition of the car and the demographics. With today`s economy even collectors are not willing to spend a boatload of money. 5 years ago I`ll bet a frame off restoration 1963 coupe went for $80,000 but today I suspect that world bring closer to $55,000.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/40550.html

It also depends on the target audience and who`s doing the selling..

Post Thanks / Like

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    To be honest, the value of the car really depends on the condition of the car and the demographics. With today`s economy even collectors are not willing to spend a boatload of money. 5 years ago I`ll bet a frame off restoration 1963 coupe went for $80,000 but today I suspect that world bring closer to $55,000.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/40550.html

It also depends on the target audience and who`s doing the selling..
    :iagree: I agree

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information