Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s rite of passage from a boy to a man!

I got my first real car in 1967, it was a 1956 Chevy Belair; 265 V8 and a 2 speed automatic transmission. I remember working on that car every single day and I couldn`t get enough! Wash, wax, vacuum, clean the engine and it never was perfect enough!

I drove this for a few years and traded up to a 1964 Buick Riviera. This sleeper had a 425 CI V8 but just didn`t seem to fit will with an 18 year old.

Next was a 1966 Pontiac Lemans which sported a 326 CI backed up by a stone crusher 4 speed, Hurst shifter and all.

Drag racing in the early to late 70`s and could swap a motor with my eyes closed.

I began to do allot of custom paint jobs on cars and motorcycles from metallics to flakes, pearls, and everything in between.

Instead of writing a book I`ll simplify things just a bit.

In order

1956 Chevy Belair
    1964 Buick Riviera
    1966 Pontiac Lemans
    1966 Ford Mustang
    1966 Chevrolet Corvette
    1968 Pontiac GTO Ram-Air 4 Convertable
    1970 440 Cuda

These were the cars of my youth through late 20`s

Today

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the story Todd. Its Miller Time...lol...my life has been filled with akward momemts like that :-B

I really don`t know how my obsession with cars began. I think it has always been there. At age 14 I purchased a 55 Chevy from a freinds Grandfather for $300. It needed a full out restoration that I attempted to start. I got sidetracked though after finding a 72 Heavy Chevy 402 4-spd at a local street gathering. I ask the owner if he was ever intrested in selling it to call me. A couple days later my phone rung :-c The man said he was reluctant to sell the car (especially to a 14 yr old) but that it was time. He informed me he wanted $2,000. To me, at this point in my life he may as well have said $200k, but I told him to please save it for me for a few weeks and let me see what I could do ~X( It was a mad dash for cash at that point. I sold everything of any value I had to get this baby. I flipped the 55 for $500 (regretably), sold all my bicycles for a hundred or so, had about $80 in savings, sold a gold chain, baseball card collection, you name it, I sold it. I however still fell way short ($850)

My Father had been watching with what seemed like very little intrest in my endeavor. I joked with him several times that he should help me out with this, but all he would do is chuckle and say > Your On Your On Kid / Well about 3 weeks went by and the owner called to see what progress I had made. When I informed him of my current financial status he wasn`t impressed. He told me he was going to go ahead and run an ad in the paper the following week This news hit me like a ton of bricks. I was so depressed, I could hardly function at all. After a few days my Father asked me what the hell was wrong with me. I informed him of the situation and he said there will be something better later and to get my a$$ back in gear. Well, that Sunday came and sure enough there was my baby in the local classified ads, I was heartbroken Boo Hoo

Well, much to my surprise the ole man steped up to the plate. He told me to call the guy and tell him we were on the way out :Car smiley: We got there and kicked the tires for a few minutes then proceeded to take her for a test run. My Father driving, owner in pass seat and me in the back. We headed towards a remote location, my Father came to a complete stop and asked the fellow if he would mind if he could see what this thing will do. Owner replied, GO For It. He revved up the engine a couple of times and dumped the clutch <:-P He was slamming gears like a mad man :driving: I honestly believe even the owner was not aware of how this car would preform under these conditions @-)

We got back to the owners house and my Father comensed to show me the fine art of negotiating a deal Da Rules! He offered the guy $1,000, owner quickly renigged. (I was like oh boy, pops is going to blow it) guy said he would take no less the $1,800, Pops shoots back with $1,200 cash :money: Owners reniggs again (I`m thinking WTF) the negotiations continue on for several minutes. The owner finally drops to $1,600, but my Father says $1,400 is his absolute tops. Owner renigs again, deal is off, my depression level starts to increase. My Father thanks the guy for his time and we comense to heads towards the car. Right when we were about to get in Pops car the owner yells something at us (I thought he was going to ask for clutch damage funds) We walk back up the driveway and the owner asked if we had alkl the cash, Pops replies yes, my depression level starts to decrease. 30 minutes later I am following Pops home (No DL or Ins) :Santa Smiley:

This is how I suppose I got involved with cars. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :-?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Love the story Todd. Its Miller Time...lol...my life has been filled with akward momemts like that :-B

I really don`t know how my obsession with cars began. I think it has always been there. At age 14 I purchased a 55 Chevy from a freinds Grandfather for $300. It needed a full out restoration that I attempted to start. I got sidetracked though after finding a 72 Heavy Chevy 402 4-spd at a local street gathering. I ask the owner if he was ever intrested in selling it to call me. A couple days later my phone rung :-c The man said he was reluctant to sell the car (especially to a 14 yr old) but that it was time. He informed me he wanted $2,000. To me, at this point in my life he may as well have said $200k, but I told him to please save it for me for a few weeks and let me see what I could do ~X( It was a mad dash for cash at that point. I sold everything of any value I had to get this baby. I flipped the 55 for $500 (regretably), sold all my bicycles for a hundred or so, had about $80 in savings, sold a gold chain, baseball card collection, you name it, I sold it. I however still fell way short ($850)

My Father had been watching with what seemed like very little intrest in my endeavor. I joked with him several times that he should help me out with this, but all he would do is chuckle and say > Your On Your On Kid / Well about 3 weeks went by and the owner called to see what progress I had made. When I informed him of my current financial status he wasn`t impressed. He told me he was going to go ahead and run an ad in the paper the following week This news hit me like a ton of bricks. I was so depressed, I could hardly function at all. After a few days my Father asked me what the hell was wrong with me. I informed him of the situation and he said there will be something better later and to get my a$$ back in gear. Well, that Sunday came and sure enough there was my baby in the local classified ads, I was heartbroken Boo Hoo

Well, much to my surprise the ole man steped up to the plate. He told me to call the guy and tell him we were on the way out :Car smiley: We got there and kicked the tires for a few minutes then proceeded to take her for a test run. My Father driving, owner in pass seat and me in the back. We headed towards a remote location, my Father came to a complete stop and asked the fellow if he would mind if he could see what this thing will do. Owner replied, GO For It. He revved up the engine a couple of times and dumped the clutch <:-P He was slamming gears like a mad man :driving: I honestly believe even the owner was not aware of how this car would preform under these conditions @-)

We got back to the owners house and my Father comensed to show me the fine art of negotiating a deal Da Rules! He offered the guy $1,000, owner quickly renigged. (I was like oh boy, pops is going to blow it) guy said he would take no less the $1,800, Pops shoots back with $1,200 cash :money: Owners reniggs again (I`m thinking WTF) the negotiations continue on for several minutes. The owner finally drops to $1,600, but my Father says $1,400 is his absolute tops. Owner renigs again, deal is off, my depression level starts to increase. My Father thanks the guy for his time and we comense to heads towards the car. Right when we were about to get in Pops car the owner yells something at us (I thought he was going to ask for clutch damage funds) We walk back up the driveway and the owner asked if we had alkl the cash, Pops replies yes, my depression level starts to decrease. 30 minutes later I am following Pops home (No DL or Ins) :Santa Smiley:

This is how I suppose I got involved with cars. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :-?
    Flash...that`s an awesome story! I had a similar experience when I was 21. My father helped me save a ton of $ on a car that I was dying to own. I did end up with it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    My old man. :soldier:
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent too much time in the sandbox when I was a kid. :Car smiley: It was all about Tonka trucks!

Post Thanks / Like
    For me it was the Trans Am in Smokey and the Bandit. I thought that car was soooooooo cool. I eventually got my hands on a Firebird Formula and had it painted metalic red, and I was hooked.:clap:
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Matchbox and Hot Wheels probably had a lot to do with it too

....and who can forget this awesome toy!

Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is an easy answer...Born and raised in So California. This was in the 50`s and early 60`s.

Three of us had an A/G street legal Pontiac that we ran at San Fernando/Long Beach and Bakersfield. Naw, don`t remember any times, but the stuff that comes out of the dealers nowadays could blow our socks off!

I got completely out of the racing aspect as I went into the Service in `64, but have ALWAYS done ALL of my own work in each and every vehicle that I`ve owned, and still do to this day. Just can`t keep an old dog from doing what he`s always done.

As for `detailing`, up till recently it was all by hand (can`t count a wax spreader) and with d@#% good results. Then my life turned around (can I get an amen?) and got a PC D/A! The `detailing` has now become a `look forward to` event.

Best to all,

Bill

Just realized, my age doesn`t show...I`m a young 67. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Matchbox and Hot Wheels probably had a lot to do with it too

....and who can forget this awesome toy!

so jealous... I wanted THIS as well as the Powerwheels Police Motorcycle... and every year Santa let me down :Christmas Hat: :notworthy:

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot Wheels..........the toy cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Several things converged on me to get me into cars.

When I was a freshman in high school, my brother ( who was a senior ) bought a brand new `69 Plymouth Roadrunner. Yowsa!! I learned to drive stick in that car.@-)

That was the year I had a job at the local Shell station, pumping gas. I loved that job. The boss had us doing oil changes, lube jobs and light maintenance
    on customers cars. Then one day he decided we were going into the "Simoniz"
    business. He bought a Cyclo and several bottles of Turtle Wax and off we went at $19.95 for the basic wax the exterior of your car. My Dad saw the work we were doing withthe Cyclo and decided he had to have one of his own so he sent off for one.

Sweet !! I was in heaven.

Matter of fact, many years later when Dad died, the Cyclo was the first thing
    I snuck out of Dad`s house before my brothers could get it. I still use the thing on a regular basis. "Course, now it`s got all that fancy Velcro and foam pads on it:hurray:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information