Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got some powerstop cross drilled/ slotted rotors and pwerstop ceramics seems to produce a lot less dust and stops the car really well
    Paul
    Eastside Auto Spa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Z View Post
    I put Red Stuff Ceramics on my R for about 5 months or so, less than 10,000 miles and when they went on I had no lip on my rotors and now their is a very noticeable lip, which kind of sucks.

I went back to a soft compound pad, Textars. I don`t belive these are as dusty at the OEMs, but quite a bit worse than the ceramics.
    Very common on your SUV or your R that the rotors have a lip on the edge.That will happen with OEM pads or after market ones.Check out EBC Brakes .com
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Very common on your SUV or your R that the rotors have a lip on the edge.That will happen with OEM pads or after market ones.Check out EBC Brakes .com
    Very true, I guess I was more surprised at how much more quickly the lip worsened with my Red Stuff Pads, than the OEMs.

So far, I`m liking the Textar pads, they have a great feel, very OEM-like, yet the dust level is quite a bit less than the OEMs. However, I`m still REALLY battling squealing, I just can`t get it to stop. I`ve tried too much grease, very little grease, just the right amount and tried all of the different components, yet I go a week without squeal, then back to sounding like a city bus. I just can`t figure it out. Most of the time they are pretty quiet to start, then as they heat up, they start to spit out a horrible squeal, I`m going nuts!
    2012 Acura TSX Special Edition, Crystal Black Pearl
    2007 Volvo XC90 Sport, Passion Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Very true, I guess I was more surprised at how much more quickly the lip worsened with my Red Stuff Pads, than the OEMs.

So far, I`m liking the Textar pads, they have a great feel, very OEM-like, yet the dust level is quite a bit less than the OEMs. However, I`m still REALLY battling squealing, I just can`t get it to stop. I`ve tried too much grease, very little grease, just the right amount and tried all of the different components, yet I go a week without squeal, then back to sounding like a city bus. I just can`t figure it out. Most of the time they are pretty quiet to start, then as they heat up, they start to spit out a horrible squeal, I`m going nuts!
    Have you tried the Volvo grease we ue it on every brake replacement we do.Also I`m surprised you having so much brake squeak we really have a very low percentage of brake squeak .One thing that does cause brake squeak when you change the pads and leave the rotors alone.They tend to have glaze formed by the OEM pads and when you install aftermarket pads the rotors and new pads don`t play well together.And one more thing avoid anyone who suggests cutting the rotors.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried the Volvo grease we ue it on every brake replacement we do.Also I`m surprised you having so much brake squeak we really have a very low percentage of brake squeak .One thing that does cause brake squeak when you change the pads and leave the rotors alone.They tend to have glaze formed by the OEM pads and when you install aftermarket pads the rotors and new pads don`t play well together.And one more thing avoid anyone who suggests cutting the rotors.
    Okay, I`m pretty sure you nailed it and I came to the same conclusion today and actually went and got what I need to break the glaze on my rotors.

I DID leave my rotors alone when changing my pads and have been fighting squeal every since. I never had an ounce of squeal prior to the Red Stuff pads, so I blamed them, but now I have the softer Textar pads with similar results. So, this weekend, it`s time to pull them apart again, only this time completely remove the rotor as well and rough these dudes up and break that glaze and try again.

I have not used the Volvo grease, but if you tell me it`s better than other over the counter stuff, I`m on it!

Sorry to hijack this thread by the way. :Innocent:

Sorry, one more question, when you grease the pads, I`ve heard grease the entire back and sides where they sit in the R calipers, I`ve heard you don`t grease the backs, I`ve heard grease everywhere where metal touches metal, etc, any thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I`m pretty sure you nailed it and I came to the same conclusion today and actually went and got what I need to break the glaze on my rotors.

I DID leave my rotors alone when changing my pads and have been fighting squeal every since. I never had an ounce of squeal prior to the Red Stuff pads, so I blamed them, but now I have the softer Textar pads with similar results. So, this weekend, it`s time to pull them apart again, only this time completely remove the rotor as well and rough these dudes up and break that glaze and try again.

I have not used the Volvo grease, but if you tell me it`s better than other over the counter stuff, I`m on it!

Sorry to hijack this thread by the way. :Innocent:

Sorry, one more question, when you grease the pads, I`ve heard grease the entire back and sides where they sit in the R calipers, I`ve heard you don`t grease the backs, I`ve heard grease everywhere where metal touches metal, etc, any thoughts on this?
    Well the R pads from Volvo come with a different type of grease it`s a copper based grease and we apply it between the metal shim and the pad .The other grease we use from Volvo we cover the back of the pad and you won`t do any harm applying it to the sides.Just keep it off the front of the pads LOL.If you have access to the rotors you can always use a 3m roloc pad on a drill or a air tool this will rough up the surface and break some of the glaze off .Volvo at one point said it also helped a warped rotor but all the ones i did it never helped a warped rotor.If you need any help just PM me .
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the R pads from Volvo come with a different type of grease it`s a copper based grease and we apply it between the metal shim and the pad .The other grease we use from Volvo we cover the back of the pad and you won`t do any harm applying it to the sides.Just keep it off the front of the pads LOL.If you have access to the rotors you can always use a 3m roloc pad on a drill or a air tool this will rough up the surface and break some of the glaze off .Volvo at one point said it also helped a warped rotor but all the ones i did it never helped a warped rotor.If you need any help just PM me .
    Okay, well I`ve done just that with some quality high-temp grease, but not the copper based stuff, I may head to Superior tomorrow to get some of their grease.

But, I think what is causing it is my glazed rotors. I have a pneumatic tool that I will put a sanding disc on and cut the glaze on both sides, then grease the pads and hope for the best.

I`ll probably just remove the rotor completely, it`ll be easier that way, I won`t have to work around the dust shield on the inside part.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help, this has been one of the most frustrating ordeals I`ve ever done. Plus, I just ordered new pads for the XC90 today and I sure as hell don`t want it squealing or it`ll be the car AND my wife squealing at me!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, well I`ve done just that with some quality high-temp grease, but not the copper based stuff, I may head to Superior tomorrow to get some of their grease.

But, I think what is causing it is my glazed rotors. I have a pneumatic tool that I will put a sanding disc on and cut the glaze on both sides, then grease the pads and hope for the best.

I`ll probably just remove the rotor completely, it`ll be easier that way, I won`t have to work around the dust shield on the inside part.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help, this has been one of the most frustrating ordeals I`ve ever done. Plus, I just ordered new pads for the XC90 today and I sure as hell don`t want it squealing or it`ll be the car AND my wife squealing at me!!!
    The XC90 is in a class of it`s own.We don`t have that much of a dust problem compared to other models but it does happen.If would use the factory pads on the XC90 .I haven`t found a aftermarket pad that stops as well as the OEM ones.But like every other OEM pad you will have dust.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    The XC90 is in a class of it`s own.We don`t have that much of a dust problem compared to other models but it does happen.If would use the factory pads on the XC90 .I haven`t found a aftermarket pad that stops as well as the OEM ones.But like every other OEM pad you will have dust.
    When I started this whole ordeal it was solely to lower my dust issue, now I`d gladly trade dust for quiet stops!!

Thanks a lot, once again, you`ve helped me through a Volvo issue!!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I started this whole ordeal it was solely to lower my dust issue, now I`d gladly trade dust for quiet stops!!

Thanks a lot, once again, you`ve helped me through a Volvo issue!!
    My pleasure i may not be able to help 100% on detailing but give me something i know about and i have no problem going out of the way to help a forum member.Also by the way get ready for the new S60 awesome car.Going to Orlando for the product intro in September.
    Adam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information