Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Door Handles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shepro View Post
    I have a Dodge Dakota and all Handles and Trim are a dull Black.I have tried both Mothers and Meguires products to no avail.Does anybody know of a product that will ensure Blackness(is that a word) and hopefully last?Should it come with a shine it would be an added bonus.
    Thanks for your attention.
    I have a 97 Dakota. The door and tailgate pulls, the mirrors, and the plastic trim over the extended cab have all faded,

The product used last was Black Wow but it only lasted about 3 months before it looks like it needs a retreatment. Poorboys Trim Restorer leaves a better finish initially but forgot how long it lasted so I am doing a side by side now with BW and PB.
    Al

Made in USA

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Black Wow is the one, make sure you clean those area`s very well and let them dry and use the Black Wow. It`s always work great for me and I always recoat those area`s once a month when I do some of my customers vehicles.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Applying a dressing is a temporary fix. I would clean the handle well with a mild solvent, such as wax and grease remover, scuff it with a gray scotch brite pad, mask it off and give it a coat of a quality semi gloss trim black from an aerosol can. This can be done in less than an hour, problem solved. After fully dried it can be protected with a vinyl dressing

Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned before....Black Wow....the stuff is amazing.....
    Steve...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpointer View Post
    Possibly Poorboy`s Trim Restorer. I hear good things about it, although I don`t have much (if any) experience using it.
    I bought a bottle of this stuff. I am honestly unimpressed. I like the Chemical Guys VRT much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    All else fails you can always remove um and go to door poppers. :p

Back to topic, what Angelo mentioned is some good stuff, but I took all my trim off and did something similar to what mink mentioned. I used some adhesive spray sort of stuff, forget the name then applied a good healthy (2) coats of black trim spray, local stores carry it. It also comes in a few other colors I believe but I blacked out the truck.

Anywho good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the best picture, but a snippet of another image to show the handles and even the side-mirrors of a dakota. The handles are a textured plastic, just like the side mirrors. Of course a trim shine works, but I hope to try out black wow in the future to test the durability versus a normal dressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you for the tips you posted here especially on care and maintenance of my car doors. i`ll be sure to try out those products as far as my car door interior is concerned. for the outside, i`m also looking for something that might protect the coating from scratches and the like.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished a complete detail on a 2004 Lincoln Navigator in Jet Black, and all the black plastic trim pieces, seemed like about 20-30` of it, was faded white and looked like someone had rubbed white wax on it or something.
    So when I got to that part of the detail, I tried to clean it first with my go-to cleaner - Einzett Deep Plastic Cleaner - and it looked good for a few minutes and then dried ugly whitish again.
    I then used 70% IPA to wipe it all down really good with white towels, so I could see how long gunk came off, and when it stopped and dried, I coated it with Poor Boys Trim Restorer and it worked great ! Brought back the black color, the whitish stuff was gone, and it dried satin-a little more, but not greasy black.
    And as with all older plastic trim, it will require this re-load every so often, depends on how many Brown-Bear Drive Thru Car Washes it gets, etc...
    I applied this product with a little square sponge that is open celled, but firm and holds liquid products easily without dripping, etc..

Dont have Black Wow, Black Bow Wow, Black Bow Wow Wow, or any other version of that stuff, but hear its great too.

Reminder to self - do NOT take 2 complete Details in 1 week when 1 of them is a Lincoln Navigator - holy cow - this is the ARK of SUV`s !
    Dan F

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information