Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion nitrogen filled tire is not worth the trouble unless it was filled for free. Nitrogen has larger molecules over air and air is made up of 78% nitrogen 21% oxygen 1% other gases. The benefits of nitrogen are less moisture ( as it eliminates it ), and with larger molecules it will not lose pressure through the porous rubber of the tire as fast as air over time. I have had a car with nitrogen filled tires and one without at the same time and saw no difference between the two in the four or five years of having the tires with nitrogen. I say stick with good old air and check and adjust your tire pressure regularly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    If you see valve stem caps that are green, the tires are Nitrogen filled.

I`m not sure I understand the advantages.

When a tire is low, where do you get nitrogen to re-fill the tire?

What are your thoughts on Nitrogen fill?
    From my understanding the main advantage of Nitrogen is 2 fold:
    1. Nitrogen is less sensitive to temperatures and therefore contracts and expands less so you dont have to add when the temperature gets cold. Also, for racing when you tires get very hot it helps manage the pressure.

2. There is less moisture in the nitrogen systems and therefore less corrosion of the wheels and stems.

There is no truth to leaking. The molecule size of both is small enough to leakout of a hole or bad valve. Unless you get it for free I would pass .

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got my tires filled with nitrogen yesterday, for free, as I used to work at the dealership where I had it done.

The tech told me that Nitrogen is much drier than atmospheric air, which makes for less swelling and shrinking of the tire (more consistent tire pressure). He also told me that pure Nitrogen is lighter than atmospheric air, which yields all the common benefits of less unsprung weight.

EDIT: I dont normally get Nitrogen, but it was offered, so I said "why not?"
    Connor Harrison

Inspection -> Correction -> Protection

Post Thanks / Like
    My TPMS light came on the other morning when it was very cold....pretty crazy how much the tire pressure can change with normal air in the tires depending on temp.
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    My TPMS light came on the other morning when it was very cold....pretty crazy how much the tire pressure can change with normal air in the tires depending on temp.
    I had the same happen to my new Honda Fit with Nitrogen in the tires as soon as cold weather hit GA, so I`m not sure how much better Nitrogen is at keeping pressure as temperature changes

Post Thanks / Like
    Luster having been in the aviation industry for the last 25 years I can tell you it is here where the nitrogen has come from. JSFM is correct , saying it used from the space shuttle to a Boeing 777 because of stability and moisture content. Normal landing of jet aircraft generate temps of 200-1100c and with nitrogen the fluxuation of tire pressures is minimal. Moisture boiling in a tire at these temps. will greatly degrade the life of tires, also damaging the sidewalls to the extent that recapping is out of the question. As for preventing cracking or dry rotting... not true. We regularly have tires sit for months or years full of nitrogen and while the pressure is still the same a year later the tire has sign of dry rot. Automobiles dont generate enough heat with disc brakes to have huge swings in nitrogen pressures, so if you have it in your tires you will notice that you wont have to top off as often. Most dealerships will offer top offs for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    As said above, it`s sole purpose seems to be a profit center. I have had work done at one place (they do ok work) but I do not like they also sell nitrogen and oil additives during routine oil changes. (I do my own oil changes).

It is clearly done for profit.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    part of clarkson`s rhetoric about the nissan gt-r is that it comes from the factory with nitrogen filled tires. you can read about all the supposed benefits and i really dont care. my last 4 tires were installed and filled with nitrogen as thats what the shop uses and they offer free top-ups/rotations anyway. i have NOT noticed any improvement over having to put air in the tire. visually the tires seem to sink the same as air (but visual inspection is very subjective), and on occasion i have refilled it with air from the local gas station when i dont feel like making a trip to the tire shop.

One Trick Pony
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you come by my place I can fill your tires with a special mixture of 78% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    ~Vince Lombardi

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tthomp82 View Post
    If you come by my place I can fill your tires with a special mixture of 78% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen.
    I run 78% nitrogen myself.:p

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like
    When they fill a tire with nitrogen do they somehow evacuate all the air first?
    If they just "let the air out" then refill with nitrogen, there will still be quite a bit of air in the tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutbread View Post
    When they fill a tire with nitrogen do they somehow evacuate all the air first?
    If they just "let the air out" then refill with nitrogen, there will still be quite a bit of air in the tire.
    The valve stem is removed to allow the air to escape quickly. Upon depletion, the tire is refilled with nitrogen and sealed with a green cap to let others know that it was filled with nitrogen. Nitrogen is a diatomic inert gas, which explains why it is not as easily influenced by both temperature and pressure as the tire rotates and is subjected to various loading factors. It is most effective when vehicles travel long stretches (i.e. highway driving)...Keeps the tire cooler and hence improves its performance. Nitrogen would not be as effective under city driving conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    -17 right now and my tires were all done to 26psi this morning!
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tthomp82 View Post
    Precisely my thoughts. Technically speaking, yes N2 is smaller in molecular size (kinetic diameter) to O2. This results because in a single oxygen atom there are 8 protons compared to the 7 protons in a single nitrogen atom. This creates a stronger electrical attraction to the electron cloud floating around the outside of the atom. A smaller electron cloud = smaller atom = smaller molecule. O2 will permeate through rubber about 3-4 times faster than N2.

My :2 cents: on the topic? Since O2 only comprises 21% of natural air loss through your rubber shouldn`t be that much. And for anyone on this forum I doubt you`re the type of person that doesn`t check your tire PSI on a regular basis. For the person who doesn`t do regular maintenance checks on the car I would say enriched nitrogen could be the way to go. For most, frequent PSI checks and natural air are more economical.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information