Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing...

Post Thanks / Like
    The IS350 is already done for winter. Last year was 476s on the paint and NXT 2.0 on the wheels. 476s was a total disappointment.

This year I have succumb to the rants of the zealots and have now put 5 coats of ZFX`d Z2Pro on the IS and 3 coats on the wheels. Tires have been coated with Meguiars ASD.

Car is garage parked at night and while at work the car is parked in an underground parking garage but will be exposed to the harsh Canadian winter on daily drives to and from work.

Will report back on my findings regarding Z2Pro`s winter peformance.

The CR-V has 3 coats of Z2Pro, followed by 2 coats of Wet Diamond. Unfortunately the CR-V will be out in the elements 24/7.

The ES330 has NXT 2.0 x 2, topped with S100.
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Havent done anything yet, my truck is still wearing a single coat of Meguiars M21 Synthetic Sealant applied in September, still beads quite nicely.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Applied a layer of 845 a few weeks ago, probably going to top with another layer of that or 476s within the next week or two.

Also have two 70 pound bags of sand in the trunk, and snow tires are getting put on soon (RWD FTL in Buffalo winters). Sanded some surface rust out of a few chips on the edges of the doors, and applied touch up paint to those areas (as well as a few others) so it doesn`t start getting rusty.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually don`t do a thing different for winter. I follow regular maintenance for the car and just I wash and wax just as often as I do in the summer.
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    The IS350 is already done for winter. Last year was 476s on the paint and NXT 2.0 on the wheels. 476s was a total disappointment.

This year I have succumb to the rants of the zealots and have now put 5 coats of ZFX`d Z2Pro on the IS and 3 coats on the wheels. Tires have been coated with Meguiars ASD.

Car is garage parked at night and while at work the car is parked in an underground parking garage but will be exposed to the harsh Canadian winter on daily drives to and from work.

Will report back on my findings regarding Z2Pro`s winter peformance.

The CR-V has 3 coats of Z2Pro, followed by 2 coats of Wet Diamond. Unfortunately the CR-V will be out in the elements 24/7.

The ES330 has NXT 2.0 x 2, topped with S100.

Please let us know how the multiple layers of Zaino do against accumulating bonded surface contaminents. :smile:
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I only have my DD. I will finally be doing my full fall detail this weekend. Here is what I will be doing.

Clean wheels using P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel
    Wash
    Clay
    PB SSR2 - orange pad
    IPA Wipedown
    Optimum Finish Polish - green pad
    IPA Wipedown
    BFWD x 2 or 3 (BF Spray Sealant in between coats)
    Collinite 845IW x 2
    Clean windows w/ SCG Clearly Better Glass
    Polish windows with PB PwS
    Seal Windows with Optimum OS
    Seal wheels w/ BFWD and then 845
    Dress tires with Megs High Endurance Gel

I will try to get some pics to post after I am done.:clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    For my 73 VW Bug, I just add some StaBil to the gas, and cycle it through the carb. I then detail the interior, and wash and wax the exterior. I add air to the tires to prevent flatspotting, and put a cover on it. In the spring, I`ll uncover, do a slight correction from the cover, re set the air pressure in teh tires, and it`ll be ready to go (I may have to jump start it).

For our other 3 vehicles that get driven during the winter, I just add a good wax / sealant on them, and do my best to keep them clean on weekends where we get breaks of good weather in the winter. I`ll also add new windshield wipers in the fall.
    David Strum
    Charlotte, NC

Finance during the week, finishes on the weekends.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back in from washing the Mazda.........No winterizing here...sorry
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Without going into specifics and just going into the details of detailing, I would say this.

Stored:
    Full clean and strip Including wheels, tires, exhaust, engine bay, windows and paint.
    Correction including a simple clay followed by a mild polish to prep the surface
    Protecting would include collinite 476S or another long lasting wax/sealant.

I would however not dress the trim, tires or other rubber. Nothing that would seep, stain or be for just looks. I would protect, yes, but for us we will be putting a cover over it and there is no need for aestetically pleasing details.

For driving, I would do the same but add layers of sealant/wax, and dress/protect the trim, rubber, windows etc. Just additional preventative steps more than anything.

Then, in the spring, a full correction in my case

Post Thanks / Like
    Havent started my winterizeation for my car yet.

My plans:

Get it fully corrected, nice and level finish

4 coats of Collinite 845 over 2 days on the paint

4 coats of Rejex on the wheels

Japanese window polymer re-apply (lasted me 6months already still going strong)

Condition the leather very well, dont want it getting hard in the cold months
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like
    Just clayed then polished with the PC. Added two coats of Z2 then two coats of Z5. I use ACES IV in my fuel year round so there is never ever a worry about moisture in the tank.
    "Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history."
    -Roger The Shrubber

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone that is storing a car these days needs to check the labels on the gas stabilizer they are using. You need to make sure whatever you are putting in your tank prevents Phaze Seperation. This is all due to the E10 fuel. When the gas separates from the ethanol it can cause huge issues with your fuel system.

I`d suggest using something like:
    Sta-Bil Marine forumla
    Star tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment
    K100mg

Post Thanks / Like
    If the S10 is outside, I put a flood light under the hood shining on the battery to keep it from freezing and also plug in the pan/block heater. The SS and wife`s Jeep are usually in the garage (heated). I try to get the S10 in also, but sometimes it doesn`t happen. Coldest we`ve seen since `02 is -37F last winter.
    `00 Camaro SS vert, triple black, SLP#5301, A4, 3.23

#3 1951-2001

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    -daily driver (`99 Infiniti I30t, white pearl) had full paint correction (to try out my new Makita rotary), sealed with Zaino Z-5 ZFX`ed x3, and topped with 2 coats of Autoglym HD.
    -wife`s car (`04 BMW 325Ci, jet black) was cleansed with Dodo Juice Lime Prime lite, and waxed with Collinite 915.
    -garage queen (`05 Acura RL) received 2 coats of Gloss It Gloss Finish, topped with a coat of GI Concorso, and waxed with RBOE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by planemech2 View Post
    If the S10 is outside, I put a flood light under the hood shining on the battery to keep it from freezing and also plug in the pan/block heater. The SS and wife`s Jeep are usually in the garage (heated). I try to get the S10 in also, but sometimes it doesn`t happen. Coldest we`ve seen since `02 is -37F last winter.
    You, my friend, are a better man than I am!!! : LOL Well, I guess it gives you something to talk to your wife about: THE WEATHER!:w00t::Innocent:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information