Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Very nice! That`s quite a story about the Mustang. I`d love to have seen you guys rolling down the road loaded up like a station wagon!!! Nice clean car.......
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill! and it was top-down all the way:driving:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymountaindetail View Post
    Thanks Bill! and it was top-down all the way:driving:
    Only way to fly!!!:driving:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everybodys voiced the good arguments...I come too late to this thread Sleep

I would agree with limited driving to protect investment quality, Stop but not to ever let a classic sit for years as a "shrinemoblie" to just gaze upon.

Machines, all of them were engineered and designed to be used for their purpose and letting a car sit and never be driven can hurt more than help.
    Dave - confirmed egotist

Auto Detailing - Cuz you want to be noticed!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    A little over a year ago, I sold my 1989 Corvette Convertible. It was triple black with chrome "Grand Sport" style rims. Excellent condition with only 37,000 miles on it. I was the second owner and only put approximately 8,000 miles on it in the 10 years that I owned it. I would have put a little more than 800 miles a year on the odometer (maybe something like 1,500 a year) except for having a couple kids along the way - which greatly limited the amount of time I had to have fun with it...not to mention that for much of that time, I worked in one of the worst parts of the city and there`s no way I could drive the thing to work without getting it ripped off.

While this wasn`t a "Classic Car" as you guys are discussing, I still think I can shed some light on why some people tend to have "garage queens" vs. drive the heck outta their cars: People like myself get great satisfaction from keeping a vehilce as close to (or better than) the condition that it was when it rolled off the assembly line for a long period of time. And, yes, we do spend more time cleaning, polishing and sealing than driving it...but it`s sort of a stress-reliever to do so. To me, there`s nothing better than knowing that the thing is so clean that you can eat off of it - especially when it`s getting up there in years. Now granted, some people can keep a daily driver (almost) that clean - but probably only if they are single without children or retired. For the average guy with a family, there`s just no way to do so without being completely selfish!

I was fortunate enough to be able to hold onto the money I got from selling the vette and I`m gonna be getting another sports car in a couple of years as soon as my Crown Vic is paid off. I`ll probably go for a Challenger SRT-8 but may opt for a used 2008-or-so Corvette. But believe me, that baby will only see a thousand or so miles a year and will be sitting in the garage sparkling clean under its car cover. I`ll likely hold onto it until well after my now 6 and 3-year old kids can drive it and I can guarantee that they`ll drive it in much the same condition as the car was in when I take ownership of it.

Now, much respect to the people who have `em and drive `em - it`s just for some people it`s either not practical to do so (kids or working in a bad part of town where the car wouldn`t last five minutes) or they just get more enjoyment from keeping the vehicle in pristine condition. As they say - "To each his own!"

-J

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RootsRadical View Post
    A little over a year ago, I sold my 1989 Corvette Convertible. It was triple black with chrome "Grand Sport" style rims. Excellent condition with only 37,000 miles on it. I was the second owner and only put approximately 8,000 miles on it in the 10 years that I owned it. I would have put a little more than 800 miles a year on the odometer (maybe something like 1,500 a year) except for having a couple kids along the way - which greatly limited the amount of time I had to have fun with it...not to mention that for much of that time, I worked in one of the worst parts of the city and there`s no way I could drive the thing to work without getting it ripped off.

While this wasn`t a "Classic Car" as you guys are discussing, I still think I can shed some light on why some people tend to have "garage queens" vs. drive the heck outta their cars: People like myself get great satisfaction from keeping a vehilce as close to (or better than) the condition that it was when it rolled off the assembly line for a long period of time. And, yes, we do spend more time cleaning, polishing and sealing than driving it...but it`s sort of a stress-reliever to do so. To me, there`s nothing better than knowing that the thing is so clean that you can eat off of it - especially when it`s getting up there in years. Now granted, some people can keep a daily driver (almost) that clean - but probably only if they are single without children or retired. For the average guy with a family, there`s just no way to do so without being completely selfish!

I was fortunate enough to be able to hold onto the money I got from selling the vette and I`m gonna be getting another sports car in a couple of years as soon as my Crown Vic is paid off. I`ll probably go for a Challenger SRT-8 but may opt for a used 2008-or-so Corvette. But believe me, that baby will only see a thousand or so miles a year and will be sitting in the garage sparkling clean under its car cover. I`ll likely hold onto it until well after my now 6 and 3-year old kids can drive it and I can guarantee that they`ll drive it in much the same condition as the car was in when I take ownership of it.

Now, much respect to the people who have `em and drive `em - it`s just for some people it`s either not practical to do so (kids or working in a bad part of town where the car wouldn`t last five minutes) or they just get more enjoyment from keeping the vehicle in pristine condition. As they say - "To each his own!"

-J
    All excellent points well taken!

An as far as "To each his own", I`ve had a guy tell me that he gets just as much satisfaction out of going into the garage, LOOKING at his classic car, as I do DRIVING mine!

To each his own!:thumbup:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information