Post Thanks / Like

A Little History: Chevrolet El Camino

I was talking to my friend about the El Camino I detailed for him this week. He told me a lot about the history of the vehicle and I thought I`d share for the common good!

Back in the late 50`s, early 60`s, there was a shift from city life to suburban life... also some rural types were also moving to the `burbs to get a little closer to the cities just for the convenience of being close.

The trend was to have a nicer utility type vehicle, but not necessarily a truck. Trucks for people in the suburbs, were just too big, bulky and ugly.

Someone over at GM came up with the idea to make a truck out of a car... the best of both worlds! Drives and rides like a car, but the functionality of a truck. Something you can keep nice, like a car, but hou can haul a sheet of plywood in it.

The original brainchild of the idea finally convinced Chevrolet to proceed with the project.

Now comes the interesting part.

1964. The Chevelle had just started production that year. They were making a coupe, sedan, convertible, and wagon. How would they build the El Camino without massive re-tooling?

They took the frame and front clip from a Chevelle wagon from the assembly line and moved it to the El Camino Line, where they where they added a new "cab" top, truck bed, rear fenders, air shocks, etc......

On to the paint line, interior finishing line and voila!!! A car that`s a truck!!!

They made thousands of them in `64/`65. Most of them ended up getting used as trucks, work vehicles, fishing trucks, etc. Rust took it`s toll on many.

So I you see one that looks as good as this, take a close look at a fantastic piece of American car history!:clap:

Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for you YOUNGER guys!

There used to be something called a "bench seat". It was big, flat and worked something like a sofa! And they would put them in cars (even more remarkable!):

Here`s what they looked like.....

Bill Luster

Think about it.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the write up on the El Camino Bill! I do remember using those type of bench seats to the max....:devil:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Bill!

My father had a black `64 with a hopped up 327 in it back when he was younger. He only has one very old picture around of it now, but she sure looked mint. That along with his `70 Chevelle were the two cars he wishes he could go back in time and keep.

He also had a `78 El Camino with a beefed up 350, which he had painted Brilliant Red Metallic from the late `80`s Corvettes. This was about the time I turned 14 and I believe that car had a lot to do with me getting into muscle cars and detailing. :driving:

Rasky
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Very cool Bill!

My father had a black `64 with a hopped up 327 in it back when he was younger. He only has one very old picture around of it now, but she sure looked mint. That along with his `70 Chevelle were the two cars he wishes he could go back in time and keep.

He also had a `78 El Camino with a beefed up 350, which he had painted Brilliant Red Metallic from the late `80`s Corvettes. This was about the time I turned 14 and I believe that car had a lot to do with me getting into muscle cars and detailing. :driving:

Rasky
    My dad was never a "car-guy". They were for transportation only.

I guess I developed my passion for cars when I was in high school and one of my buddies had a `65 GTO..... Man we had some good times with that car!!!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Thread Information