• C-5 (1997-2004)

8 20.00%
  • C-6 (2005-2009)

10 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: corvette wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    2)1963 Split Window Coupe- Seriously gorgeous from every angle, I`ll take mine in silver over black with a 327/360 horse Fuelie motor and a 4 speed please.

I rode from Texas to California in one (red) in summer of `67. I was a little kid but remember that speedo was different from other cars, it went to 160 mph...VRRROOOM!
    Dave - confirmed egotist

Auto Detailing - Cuz you want to be noticed!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Just feel upon this post.I lived and grew up on Long Island in Oceanside which is the next town over from Baldwin i became very good friends with joel rosen .I spent many hours over at his shop learning what i could from engine building to cleaning floors.I guess it was one of the reason`s i became a mechanic.Who would ever thought after all these years you would here his name along side of Yenko.One thing alot of people don`t know when the gas crisis in the 70`s started i would stop by to see what was new there and many of times i would see Joel restringing tennis rackets .Just my old memory`s
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    .Just my old memory`s
    Nothin` wrong with that! The old memories are the best ones for me!!!:thumbup:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

TOGWT
    Corvette - 1963 Chevrolet C2 Corvette Sting Ray split-window coupe. The second generation, or mid-year, was designed by Larry Shinoda with major inspiration from a previous unproduced design called the "Q Corvette" by Peter Brock and Chuck Pohlmann, and under the styling direction of Bill Mitchell, started in 1963 and ended in 1967.

Introducing a new name, Corvette Sting Ray, the 1963 model year Corvette was the first year for a coup? with its distinctive split rear window and non-functioning hood vents as well as an independent rear suspension. The split rear window was discontinued in 1964 due to safety concerns. Because they made the design too busy, the hood vents were also cut. Power for 1963 was at 360 hp (268 kW) hitting 375 hp (280 kW) in 1964.

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to this off the top of my head....

The 1963 Corvette was designed by Bill Mitchell. In his original design he saw a single creased line running down the center of the car, necessitating the famous `split` window. In fact, the Corvette`s chief engineer, and the man responsible for the small block Chevy, fuel injection, and the (at the time) revolutionary independent suspension on the Corvette, Zora Arkus Duntov tried to nix the split window right before production.

Engine options all displaced 327 cubic inches, and ranged from a low of 240 hp, with a single for barrel car, to a fire-breathing 360 horsepower, fuel injected, solid lifter cam motor. A Z06 race option was available with a large fuel tank and special disk brakes.

In `64 the Sting Ray featured minor cosmetic changes, including the removal of the faux vents on the hood and the deletion of the split window.

1965, in my opinion, was the most revolutionary year for the 63-67 Corvette`s. New detail changes to the body cleaned up the look. For the first time ever, the brand new `Big Block` Chevy motor was available This was a monster 425 horsepower, 396 cubic inch `porcupine` V-8. Interestingly the 327 Fuel Injected motor was still offered, now at 375 horsepower. The 327/375 hp fuelie cost 4 times as much as the big block, and the sales numbers dropped. 1965 was also the first year for 4 wheel disk brakes, and available side pipe exhaust.

1966 saw the end of the fuel injected small-blocks, but the arrival of a number that would be synonymous with performance: The 427, still rated at 425 horsepower. Very small detail changes were made over the `65. The tail lights where all changed to red, before it was red-white-white-red, and a new script was given to the string ray name.

1967 was the final year for the mid-year Corvette, and in many people`s eyes it was the best. New vents where added behind the rear wheels, and the body lines where cleaned up. A new `stinger` hood was standard on the Big Block cars, and speaking of big blocks, Chevrolet offered 427s. The standard was a 4-barrel, 390 horsepower cruiser Next up was a 400 horsepower version with 3x2 barrel carbs. For those who wanted to move in speed, two versions of the 435 horsepower engine where offered, one with aluminum heads. However the big news was the L-88 427, the most powerful muscle car engine of all time. Rated at 5 horsepower BELOW the 427/435, the L88 was nothing less then a fully tuned can-am race motor. The real horsepower rating was somewhere north of 500+, with headers 560+!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    1965, ... Interestingly the 327 Fuel Injected motor was still offered, now at 375 horsepower. The 327/375 hp fuelie cost 4 times as much as the big block, and the sales numbers dropped. 1965 was also the first year for 4 wheel disk brakes, and available side pipe exhaust.

A good friend of mine here in KC, has an all-original `65 Fuelie Coupe. It`s an NCRS Top Flight car that is 100% correct down to the nut, bolt and screw.

He claims, of the 711 produced, there are probably about 100 still around that have the correct motor. A beautiful car!

I`ve driven the car... With the 3.08 gear, the Fuelie has NO low-end torque! Takes forever to get it moving, BUT..... from 4000 - 6000 rpms LOOK OUT!!! :thumbup:

When that 375hp kicks in top end, that car is a Screamer!:wink:

He bought the car in 1976.

Many people didn`t like the fuelie because they claimed.... "Couldn`t keep it in tune! Well, my friend Ken doesn`t have that problem because he`s not only a mechanic, but he specializes in Mid-Years..... and re-building fuel injection units on 57-65 Vettes!:tongue:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    A good friend of mine here in KC, has an all-original `65 Fuelie Coupe. It`s an NCRS Top Flight car that is 100% correct down to the nut, bolt and screw.

He claims, of the 711 produced, there are probably about 100 still around that have the correct motor. A beautiful car!

I`ve driven the car... With the 3.08 gear, the Fuelie has NO low-end torque! Takes forever to get it moving, BUT..... from 4000 - 6000 rpms LOOK OUT!!! :thumbup:

When that 375hp kicks in top end, that car is a Screamer!:wink:

He bought the car in 1976.

Many people didn`t like the fuelie because they claimed.... "Couldn`t keep it in tune! Well, my friend Ken doesn`t have that problem because he`s not only a mechanic, but he specializes in Mid-Years..... and re-building fuel injection units on 57-65 Vettes!:tongue:
    I have a friend who has matching Donnybrooke Green `65s. One is a Vert with a 396/425 hp, side pipes, a 3.55`s. The second is a coupe, with the 327/375, side pipes, and 4.11`s. Just two awesome Vette`s to have and stunning in the green.

A good client of mine has a white `64 Vert with a fuelie motor that just finished a major, expensive rebuild, that I should be working on soon. And another client is in market for a `67 427/435 car!

Post Thanks / Like
    When you really get into the culture of Mid-years, it`s quite interesting to track down why some of them are valued so high. How rare is it? How many are left? How well is it documented?

For example, one of the rarest of all Mid-years is a 427/400, Marina Blue/Marina Blue Vert, with factory air and Powerglide. The two-speed Powerglide may not be the most desirable, but it definitely makes it the rarest of the rare. And, if all numbers match with good doc`s, extremely high dollar!!! Bet there aren`t too many of those left!!!! :thumbup:

Lots of mid-years are valuable... the Tankers, early and late serial numbers, L88`s, and I love `em all!!!:cornut:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    reported spam.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

admin_old
    Thanks....he`s TERMINATED!