Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    I wouldn`t, unless you take your car to the track.
    Why wouldn`t you, there is nothing wrong with drilled rotors on the street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphalt Rocket View Post
    Just to keep it stock? They do stop the car well!
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    Just to keep it stock? They do stop the car well!
    Gotcha, but I was asking User Name why he would say not to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    I think all you guys should just bite the bullet and get a full set of carbon fiber pads and rotors.Great stopping no dust and with stand high temps.Just my 2 cents i have my brakes done at midas shops.
    Man, I wish I could but the wife would skin me!! Maybe one day when I get my new dream car, the Cadillac CTS-V, I will. For now I think I`ll just stick to ceramics. While I have the wheels off I think that I`ll paint the rusted areas as well as the brake calipers. Does anyone know of a good paint that I could use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBumper View Post
    Man, I wish I could but the wife would skin me!! Maybe one day when I get my new dream car, the Cadillac CTS-V, I will. For now I think I`ll just stick to ceramics. While I have the wheels off I think that I`ll paint the rusted areas as well as the brake calipers. Does anyone know of a good paint that I could use?
    I always use Dupli-Color High Temp Engine Paint. It`s readily available at most auto parts stores. I just apply a light shot every time I rotate the tires.

Eastwood makes some of the best automotive paint products, if you don`t mind ordering from their website, rather than running up to the auto parts store.:biggrin:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    I think all you guys should just bite the bullet and get a full set of carbon fiber pads and rotors.Great stopping no dust and with stand high temps.Just my 2 cents i have my brakes done at midas shops.
    Midas? Ye`ll right, you got a full shop there to play with.........
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with luster and most of the local auto part stores carry the paint.Just one thing make sure the calipers are spotless clean .If you can take the brake pads out of the calipers and also clean the mounting bracket if you want to paint that also.The paint holds up very well and just once in a while needs a touch up.The real way to go is powder coat them but you have to stripe them down and rebuild the calipers after that process.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Midas? Ye`ll right, you got a full shop there to play with.........
    I wish I was like Adam and had a big shop to play in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think there is anything wrong with having them on the street, there are just a whole host of disproved myths about "performance" pads and rotors. You pay lots of money and while they will outperform stock pads and rotors on the track (usually due to heating and hard breaking) they DO NOT outperform stock brakes on normal street driving.

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...lections.shtml

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerformance-Brakes/FAQs/ (even Brembo admits it on their website).

Here is the Brembo website quote: "Therefore, an increase in braking power will do nothing to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance."

So, for me I`ve always thought... do it if you like the look on your car, or if you take the car to the track, but don`t do it if you suddenly think your new pads and rotors are going to make you have a shorter stopping distance under normal driving conditions.

Seems like a lot of money to pay for very little benefit.
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

I run slotted/drilled 2-piece rotors - front and rear - on my Evo. I would have rather had undrilled/unslotted, if you will, but these particular parts save 20lbs of rotational mass and that`s no small chunk of change. On the track, we run the stock blanks, as the drilled rotors can crack under these conditions. While I`m as amused by the armchair hypotheses as the next (car) guy, I can only say that nothing beats actual experience. I`ve had brake pads literally smoke on the street. The current Performance Friction pads are holding up well. Some would argue that they`re overkill for "normal driving." Yet, given my individual needs, they`re the bare minimum. I guess I`m trying to say that "normal driving" isn`t a transitive property.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think there is anything wrong with having them on the street, there are just a whole host of disproved myths about "performance" pads and rotors. You pay lots of money and while they will outperform stock pads and rotors on the track (usually due to heating and hard breaking) they DO NOT outperform stock brakes on normal street driving.

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...lections.shtml

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerformance-Brakes/FAQs/ (even Brembo admits it on their website).

Here is the Brembo website quote: "Therefore, an increase in braking power will do nothing to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance."

So, for me I`ve always thought... do it if you like the look on your car, or if you take the car to the track, but don`t do it if you suddenly think your new pads and rotors are going to make you have a shorter stopping distance under normal driving conditions.

Seems like a lot of money to pay for very little benefit.
    I was just wondering what you view was on it, so it comes down to the cost aspect of it for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who own a GM vehicle and are in need of new shoes, Goodwrench is having a promotion right now for new ceramic pads installed for $75, after a mail-in rebate. Also, there are some restrictions on this offer. I made an appoinment to have them installed on my truck this coming Tuesday. $75 installed is too good of a deal to pass up.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who own a GM vehicle and are in need of new shoes, Goodwrench is having a promotion right now for new ceramic pads installed for $75, after a mail-in rebate. Also, there are some restrictions on this offer. I made an appoinment to have them installed on my truck this coming Tuesday. $75 installed is too good of a deal to pass up.
    You`re right... that`s too good to pass up!!!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    so it comes down to the cost aspect of it for you.
    Um, if that`s what you got out of my response...
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Um, if that`s what you got out of my response...
    Pretty much. Though they may not make you stop any better on the street there is no reason you can not use them on the your daily driver. We have been installing these types of rotors on cars for years. I figured you would have your own opinion instead of using information I already know about from a website or a manufactor. I was looking for you to explain why you shouldn`t, better in your own words.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information