Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

That is the trend now with newer European cars....and perhaps with

2006 Mini Cooper S - Castrol synthetic 5W30, cause it`s still under warranty and thats what they use. Their intervals are ridiculous, though. 10-12,000 miles. That`s just too long.[/QUOTE]

other cars as well. Using Synthetic oil...the intervals are at around 10K or so if driven normally....in a normal environment. Example, car not driven in a dessert storm or doing 120 mph constantly.
    If you have a choice when purchasing the OIL filter for your model....go with the fleece and not the paper filter...it is better and designed to last longer...so changing your oil at 10k should not be a problem with synthetic oil.
    Personally, I normally change mine at around 7-8k.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slik560 View Post
    2006 Mini Cooper S - Castrol synthetic 5W30, cause it`s still under warranty and thats what they use. Their intervals are ridiculous, though. 10-12,000 miles. That`s just too long.
    It`s just hard for me to wrap my brain around that!

How can any oil maintain it`s viscosity, slickness, cleaniness, and protection characteristics for that long?????
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    2007 Hyundai Sonata. Untill April this year I drove it 1k miles a week (now it`s a garage queen) - currently at 96.7k miles.

Do my own oil changes - about 5 qts of Mobil 7500 synthetic blend 5W30 (winter) or 10W30 (summer) with Bosch filter, every 6k miles.

Had a used oil analysis not too long ago and the numbers were "stellar" (quote from lab).

Oh, I still have about 90 qts in my personal strategic oil reserve.

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to use Valvoline Synthetic in weights from 5w/30 for the `08 IS350, `05 Acura RL, and the `03 M5 Wagon, to 20w/50 for the `97 540i with 115k miles.
    Have not been able to find WIX filters, but know that they and Puralator were around when I was a little 9 year old kid at my Dad`s Humble Oil Gas Station in San Antonio, Texas. I just get the factory filters at the dealers and they are no deal either but worth it. Have tried Mobil-1 before and it`s ok, but runs really thin in my opinion, and since they keep lowering their base stock, I dont trust it any longer, except in my lawnmower..
    Right now, in WA, Valvoline Synthetic is $3.99/qt.
    Has anyone tried that new Castrol Edge synthetic oil ? Its like $8.00/qt up here!! I cant believe any oil should cost that much. Heck I remember years ago when Synthetic oil was $2-3.00/qt and regular dino was a buck and on sale at like .59 cents - Castrol GTX.
    I like to change oil based on time and mileage, hardly every going over 4-5k miles and out it comes, and yes, I do it myself from the bottom drain plug - no suckers things for me..
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I like to change oil based on time and mileage, hardly every going over 4-5k miles and out it comes, and yes, I do it myself from the bottom drain plug - no suckers things for me..
    DanF
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if the Castrol really maintains it`s rated viscosity or not. When I pull the dipstick on the Mini (it`s just about due for a change by their standards) it`s really dark and smells like an old 327 chevy motor right before a rebuild. Given that technology has really advanced synthetic oils, I also believe that these extended intervals are part of the marketing as well. We`ll see when all these Minis are out of warranty and how many need rebuilds!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use only Quantum Blue products because they blend them specifically for my vehicles and the way I drive. Custom blending with application specific materials will ALWAYS out perform generically sae graded oils. It is good for at least 10,000 miles or two years. As far as filters go, my oil guy says you are safe to use Mopar, Purolator, Hastings, Wix, Napa, Xtra Wear Guard Fram (not regular Fram).
    "Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history."
    -Roger The Shrubber

Post Thanks / Like
    I use amsoil 5w30 with K&N filters and change it every 5k.

Post Thanks / Like
    SS... Mobil ! Synthetic, 5W30
    S10 and Jeep........ Just switched to GTX Extended Mileage. S10 has 193k and Jeep has 96k miles.
    `00 Camaro SS vert, triple black, SLP#5301, A4, 3.23

#3 1951-2001

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    2004 Vibe GT - Valvoline Semi-Synthetic High Milage 5W-30, every 5K (unless I forget, then 6K)

2006 GMC Sierra 5.3L - Valvoline Synthetic 5W-30 same intervals as Vibe

2006 Yamaha FZ-1 - Repsol 5W-20 semi-synthetic, twice a year as I don`t get as much riding time as I like (about 3-4K a year) (once in the spring, once in the fall).

I`ve used Valvoline in almost everything I`ve owned so I tend to stick with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Royal Purple 20-50 in my nova
    Change every year. I only put about 1000 mi./yr. I`m anal about this motor. BB chevy 47k original miles

Mobil 1 0-40 in the Challenger. Every 5k. Brand new

Mobil 1 5-30 in my Vette. Every 5k. 23k original miles

Moble 1 5-30 in my Isuzu

Use either Wix or Mobil filters. Two of the best out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    ONLY put Amsoil OW-30 in my cars since 1996 and won`t let anything else touch mine. I got free maintenance on my S60R and even though a lot of the regular maintenance visits are just glorified oil changes, I ALWAYS take my Amsoil in with me instead of taking their oil. I know the synthetic that they use at Superior would be fine, but I`m pretty anal about using only Amsoil.

When I hit 60K, I will be changing out all of my other fluids with Amsoil as well, if not sooner.

And I always change my own oil, with the exception of the few free maintenance visits I got with my car. Change it on ramps in my garage, then head to Advance to dump the oil. :thumbup:
    2012 Acura TSX Special Edition, Crystal Black Pearl
    2007 Volvo XC90 Sport, Passion Red

Post Thanks / Like
    04 Pontiac Vibe - Valvoline 5w30 Extended mileage (synthetic blend), namely because it has high mileage (well 96K), random filters, changed every 6K

06 GMC Sierra - Valvoline 5w30 Synthetic, namely because it`s a good price, and the truck runs smoother, random filters, changed when the truck tells me to

06 Yamaha FZ-1 - Repsol 10w40 semi-synthetic, K&N filter, shifts smoother than conventional, and the nut on the K&N helps with install removal (tight space behind the headers)

I like Valvoline, always used it, never had problems.

El Presidente
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Works as a mech for 30+ years i would never recommend to any of my customers to change there oil every 10 thousand miles even using a full syntheic or a syntheic blend.The heat todays engines produce from having turbo`s or just the day to day driving the oils start breaking down why before that.The auto maker i work for changed there recommend serv from 5000 to 7500 and since most people figure well if it`s 7500 i can push it to 9000 miles .We started to track these customers engines and the sludge build up was unreal some to a point that the cars came in with no oil pressure.I thought that this was only our car line but after speaking to other techs i know at least five other car lines had the same problem.I really don`t want to mention the car lines but they are all very high line cars.Bottom line is an engine loves an oil change and filter if you do this every 5000miles it will give you alot less headaches in the future .It still is the cheapest and the best maintance you can perform.Also try WIX oil filters they also out last the big 3 companys .If you read about oil filters look WIX and compare there specs to others or if you find a store by you that sells them pick one up and in the other hand pick up another filter and compare the weight of each .It`s not the metal that makes it heavier but the material inside that does the filtering.Just my 2 cents and yes i understand everyone has an opinion.
    Adam,

The best answer here IMO. Both on the changing more frequently, for all of the reasons you state and also your choice in filters. I get a number of trade rags and saw an independent report on filters. The two best were the WIX and Purolators. I have always used Mobil One and changed it every 5000 miles with a new Purolator filter. I do the work myself as most oil change jockeys are in too much of a hurry and leave a mess.

jk

Post Thanks / Like
    Amsoil.Change it once a year or every 26000 miles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information