Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a new ride

I think I am going to buy a new ride soon. Maybe in the next 6 to 8 months. I know I want a rear wheel drive with a V8. Needs to be a four door because I have a family. And it generally has to be kick-ass. I don`t want another SUV.

I am seriously considering this: Pontiac G8 GXP

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony that is one sweet looking ride go for it and the color looks nice also. And it is MADE in the good O "USA"

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony that is one sweet looking ride go for it and the color looks nice also. And it is MADE in the good O "USA"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    Unfortunately that is not an OEM color!

The fact that it is an American car is a new idea for me. I must admit that I have never owned an American car. I do have an American SUV. No American sedan in my car buying lifetime (1990-present) has really inspired me to want one until now. With the exception of the Chrysler 300/Dodge Magnum and the 1994-1996 Chevy Impala SS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was actually looking at purchasing one. So much HP for so little money (comparatively speaking). But I shyed away from it because I couldnt see myself driving around in this with two car seats in the back. Though im sure my boys would have fun

This to me is a car for a single person or as a weekend car. I just dont have the money for two cars right now.

Go for it. Right now is the best time to buy too, with all the incentives, 0% apr for 60months etc,etc

EDIT: Definitely do not go with the chrysler or dodge, EVERYONE has one.
    I think ive only seen one g8 around here and that was the older model with the 5.7

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I had the money then I would get a M5. But that`s me, get what you want and don`t forget some shots when you do. Good luck in the hunt.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t owned an American vehicle for almost twenty years for all the obvious and perceived reasons, but I have to admit GM is finally starting to come out with some very nice cars. I`ve seen the G8 in the magazines and around town. I gotta say, it`s a really sharp looking car and the interior actually looks pretty nice to boot. And like you said, can`t beat the horsepower for the money. Just remember you`re getting a V8 and gas prices aren`t going to stay cheap forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    If I had the money then I would get a M5. But that`s me, get what you want and don`t forget some shots when you do. Good luck in the hunt.
    I went for a beat run in an M5 last night. Ive never been impressed by a BMW before. The new M5 surprised the hell outta be. Its so quiet inside you can`t even hear the car burning the tires off the wheel. The only reason you know the tires are spinning on a hard launch is when the car swings the ass end out shifting second. 0 to 100 to 0 is unreal. Im 100% an american made car guy, and it kind of pains me to say it but the M5 is super impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were buying a new sedan today, the G8 GXP would be my #1 choice. I checked one out at the auto show last week and it was perfect for me. At $40,000 the price is competitive to other performance sedans. Add the optional 6 speed manual and you`ve got a winner IMO.

One thing to keep in mind about the G8 - it`s not an "American" car. It was designed and mfr`d in Australia and is sold as a Pontiac with left hand drive. The car`s real name is Holden Commodore. So basically a Pontiac G8 is a left hand drive Commodore with a different nose and other trim pieces.

In Africa and the Middle East (think Kuwait, UAE, etc) this car is sold as a Chevy Lumina SS. Yep, a Lumina. Same basic car, different nameplate.

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC, Pointiac`s performance vehicles have been from Australia for the better part of this decade. The last GTO comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokeman View Post
    I went for a beat run in an M5 last night. Ive never been impressed by a BMW before. The new M5 surprised the hell outta be. Its so quiet inside you can`t even hear the car burning the tires off the wheel. The only reason you know the tires are spinning on a hard launch is when the car swings the ass end out shifting second. 0 to 100 to 0 is unreal. Im 100% an american made car guy, and it kind of pains me to say it but the M5 is super impressive.
    I wouldn`t mind scoping out a used 4-door M3 with automatic (don`t like manuals) a few years from now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BretFraz View Post

One thing to keep in mind about the G8 - it`s not an "American" car. It was designed and mfr`d in Australia and is sold as a Pontiac with left hand drive. The car`s real name is Holden Commodore. So basically a Pontiac G8 is a left hand drive Commodore with a different nose and other trim pieces.
    The carriage may be from down under, but the power plant is good ol` American muscle!

415hp 6.2 liter LS3. A detuned Vette engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTahoe View Post
    The carriage may be from down under, but the power plant is good ol` American muscle!

415hp 6.2 liter LS3. A detuned Vette engine
    Correct, the drivetrain is the same used in the Corvette, Cadillac CTS-V, etc. Everything else about the G8 GXP is Australian, though. Just wanted everyone to be aware of this, that`s all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a foreign car guy...I don`t own any American vehicles at the moment.

However, I would love a G8 (based off looks and what I have read). If I were to get one, I`d get the manual transmission. For me, if I were looking for a new, 4 door sedan, I`d shop that and the new Acura TL in AWD.

I`m not sold on Chrysler quality (bad experiences with a Dodge truck I use to own), and Ford doesn`t make any sedans I like the looks of at the moment. That G8 looks great though...gotta give GM (or Holden) credit for offering that here.

Post Thanks / Like

Mercedes?

Mercedes Amg C55...5.5 liter v8 in a small c class...a Rocket!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information