Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need body work - blended clearcoat ok?

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/car...nt-repair.html

Hope the link works. Scroll to post #9 and I had posted a couple of pictures of the rusted area. It is right where the rear fender lip rolls forward and meets the body seam to a small filler piece above the side skirt (just behind the rear passenger door). Has a few curves/lines that probably could not be fabbed easily, but would require a quarter panel to get the patch piece from.

Thanks,
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see a link. Sometimes they make a " dogleg section" wich is where the qaurter thins as it heads to the rocker panel. Each car manufacturers parts can be a little different. Now sectioning a qaurter panel is normaly done down at the dog leg and heading up the qaurter by the back glass. If they are needing to section in the panel itself it shouldnt be too hard to do if there isnt any damage to the body lines and its a good technition doing the work. At the shop i work we normaly dont deal with a lot of rust repair on newer cars since im on the west coast, so i havent seen it done like that. Hopefully ive been some help.

Post Thanks / Like

You have been a lot of help in my understanding of the process.

Click on the top piece of text "Minor rust repair...". should take you to moy older post.

Thanks,
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjpcali4life View Post
    I dont see a link. Sometimes they make a " dogleg section" wich is where the qaurter thins as it heads to the rocker panel. Each car manufacturers parts can be a little different. Now sectioning a qaurter panel is normaly done down at the dog leg and heading up the qaurter by the back glass. If they are needing to section in the panel itself it shouldnt be too hard to do if there isnt any damage to the body lines and its a good technition doing the work. At the shop i work we normaly dont deal with a lot of rust repair on newer cars since im on the west coast, so i havent seen it done like that. Hopefully ive been some help.
    I think it is a "dogleg" since it thins down to about 2 or 3 inches wide down at the side skirt.

-Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s the pics from last November or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Ok i see it now. They will probably do part of the section under the side skirt. I would also think they would have to cut just inside of that jam meaning they would probably have to run a blend in there. The piece they get will have the body lines already so they should, again each shop is different and each states regulations are different, trim the piece down to a managable size then will lay it over the old qaurter and make a cut with a cutoff wheel through the new panel into the old so the lines match up perfect. If done right, welded and ground down nicely it shouldnt take much filler, (bondo and putty), to smooth out the area and make look nice. It looks to be a fairly easy repair, but the price seems cheap to me depending on the price of the part. What are the labor rates around there?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll have to dig out the estimate tonight when get home from work and look at the labor rates. From what I recall, they would patch in a panel, rustproof the area, re-paint the area, and then re-clear the area, blending it in into the existing clear for $864.

I know I looked up the cost of a new rear quarter at some pars places online and it was around $375 I think. So I have my doubts as to how they were going to get a new piece in and do the work for only another $500. That is why I am going to get a third opinion when I get a day off of work

Thanks for all of the help. It has been extremely, well, helpful!

-Neil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information