Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How long should I wait?

Pretty much just got a whole new front end on my `00 GS400 with new paint and all. The car left the bodyshop about a month ago and I was just wondering how long you all think I should wait before applying some 3M Performance Finish sealant to it. I don`t want to harm the new paint at all, so all opinions/advice is welcome!

Thanks

-1995 Lexus SC400
    -2008 Lexus GS460

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long should I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by TRD_Power View Post
    Pretty much just got a whole new front end on my `00 GS400 with new paint and all. The car left the bodyshop about a month ago and I was just wondering how long you all think I should wait before applying some 3M Performance Finish sealant to it. I don`t want to harm the new paint at all, so all opinions/advice is welcome!

Thanks
    You question has an easy answer but you would not think so if you read this.

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/aut...d-breathe.html

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, very mixed opinions out there........

Some argue that your new paint must undergo months of rigorous breathing calisthenics before you can even park your car next to a tub of wax <or> you could seal it immediately. Hmmm
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

My question is why rush into it. If a person can`t sleep at night thinking their paint is going to fall off because they didn`t seal it the second it got home from the body shop, its possible their issues run a little deeper than auto detailing. My opinion, and I don`t care what anyone says, wait 2 months then wax your heart out. This is the most over discussed and over thought topic I`ve ever seen. I mean nothing against you, its just a sore subject for some here.

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`d just ask the guy that painted it. He knows.

The rest of us are guessing.
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest View Post

Agreed. The only person who knows what paint was used was the guy
    who painted it.

Post Thanks / Like

Came here to say this.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Agreed. The only person who knows what paint was used was the guy
    who painted it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Came here to say this.
    yay

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, we all know that painters are the all knowing when it comes to paint and how to keep it looking nice. While you’re at it, follow his opinion on what wax to use too. And make sure to get his contact number so if he leaves the shop he’s painting at you can chase him down to see if he`ll be supporting your warranty coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Yup, we all know that painters are the all knowing when it comes to paint and how to keep it looking nice. While you’re at it, follow his opinion on what wax to use too. And make sure to get his contact number so if he leaves the shop he’s painting at you can chase him down to see if he`ll be supporting your warranty coverage.
    What a smart ass. Dude, there`s folks on this forum that take this business seriously and while they may disagree with other views and opinions they aren`t out to start fights and make others look like fools. Arrogance and a know it all attitude won`t get you far on DC.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s a little ridiculous, David.

Just to enlighten you, other professions/professionals that often give advice after they perform a service or you use their product (maybe because they might know just a little something about what it is they did or the stuff they used):

Doctors, dentists, mechanics, physical therapists, chiropractors, dieticians, professors, Sal Zaino, detailers, etc, etc.

Or we could all follow the opinion of a detailer who`s not privy to what paint was used, the process that was used, or the shop`s policy on warranty or any of the other factors that could have went into the job.

I think I`ll listen to some guy on the internet and follow his advice rather than the person who actually may have had a hand in performing the work.

I would venture to think that painters might happen to know a little bit about what they`re doing, just as detailers know a bit about how to run a polisher or put sealant on a pad an apply it. Neither area of knowledge is exactly rocket science.

I just don`t understand what the big deal is about following the advice of a professional when it comes to something that the professional did.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I’m coming off too sarcastic. I’m not trying to start a fight here. I’m just trying to discuss real world educated opinions on sealing fresh paint. It’s interesting how so many people that may take this subject serious can’t take someone challenging them to think outside of the box. Being a Professional Detailer since 1990 and being in the Auto Body repair industry for over the last 6 years, I usually try to think for myself on many topics that interest me. But, when I come to a brick wall of knowledge/intelligence , I research and take advise from people who know the facts.

Who would you rather listen and take advice from:
    Painter
    Body Shop Owner
    Detailer
    Paint Company Sales Rep
    Paint Company Technical Rep
    Chemical Company (that offers wax for all fresh paints)
    Paint Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

I think this topic needs to be put on the same shelf with guns, religion, and politics.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I’m coming off too sarcastic. I’m not trying to start a fight here. I’m just trying to discuss real world educated opinions on sealing fresh paint. It’s interesting how so many people that may take this subject serious can’t take someone challenging them to think outside of the box. Being a Professional Detailer since 1990 and being in the Auto Body repair industry for over the last 6 years, I usually try to think for myself on many topics that interest me. But, when I come to a brick wall of knowledge/intelligence , I research and take advise from people who know the facts.

Who would you rather listen and take advice from:
    Painter
    Body Shop Owner
    Detailer
    Paint Company Sales Rep
    Paint Company Technical Rep
    Chemical Company (that offers wax for all fresh paints)
    Paint Engineer
    Personally, I`d listen to all of them in hopes to expand my knowledge. I`ve not really said which way that I believe between the waxing immediately versus waiting - I guess it doesn`t really matter all that much. I`m just saying when it comes down to the nitty gritty and my money would be on the line, I`d most likely take the advice of the professional who did the work and had hands on knowledge about my particular case. As I said in the other thread, what can it hurt to be cautious? I suppose I`m looking at this whole ball of wax from a case-specific standpoint versus a general-catch-all ruling view.

Oh, and sarcasm is good. It`s one of my favorite hobbies. I respect your views and work, and even though I don`t post much on "the other forum" you post a lot at, I do follow what you (and a few others) have to say because you all have knowledge and views (not always shared, mind you) that help me understand and expand my knowledge base. So don`t ever `not post` here because someone doesn`t agree with you. I`m glad to see you posting over here some and hope you keep poking your nose in.

Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Personally, I`d listen to all of them in hopes to expand my knowledge. I`ve not really said which way that I believe between the waxing immediately versus waiting - I guess it doesn`t really matter all that much. I`m just saying when it comes down to the nitty gritty and my money would be on the line, I`d most likely take the advice of the professional who did the work and had hands on knowledge about my particular case. As I said in the other thread, what can it hurt to be cautious? I suppose I`m looking at this whole ball of wax from a case-specific standpoint versus a general-catch-all ruling view.

Oh, and sarcasm is good. It`s one of my favorite hobbies. I respect your views and work, and even though I don`t post much on "the other forum" you post a lot at, I do follow what you (and a few others) have to say because you all have knowledge and views (not always shared, mind you) that help me understand and expand my knowledge base. So don`t ever `not post` here because someone doesn`t agree with you. I`m glad to see you posting over here some and hope you keep poking your nose in.
    I agree with every single sentence of this post!
    Tampa, FL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information