Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake questions

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brake questions

Just a question for you guys on brake pads. In the VW crowd, the EBC Green Stuff brake pad products get a lot of conversation (and use). How are these products perceived outside of that group?
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Just a question for you guys on brake pads. In the VW crowd, the EBC Green Stuff brake pad products get a lot of conversation (and use). How are these products perceived outside of that group?
    I have never used green stuff but a lot of people seem to like them.
    Tire Rack sold them along with several other brands of high performance brake pads and rotors but they dropped the EBC from their line of products.

Some don`t know it but Tire Rack sells Brakes as well as tires.

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Brake questions

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    Well the theory behind the dimpled rotors is that it doesn`t compromise the metal at all by going all the way through it, yet gives a place for heat and gases to go while adding another cutting edge.

Mine are still kicking strong and I drive HARD barely a lip at the edge of the rotor.

Heres how I drive:

Me -----> <------- Steve
    Me -----> <------- Steve
    Me -----> <------- Steve

Haha

now thats funny right their...

As most have said the rotors warp because of heat, drilled and slotted are aiding in the kooling process. The reason most fade occures in brakes at high speeds is they again get "hot" they need cooling. Most hp cars come with the upgraded rotors already from the factory. Trucks in most cases "dont" but in fact "should" because of extra weight and towing situations where breaking is a huge factor. And as many have already said the ceramic pads are nice as far as reduced dusting...

To answer you question on internet orders I have not done that sorry. I have in fact had good luck with local shops ordering things for me in this regard. I dont like the net for everything, when a local guy orders and its wrong I do have a option to return the item and its on him in most cases if they send the wrong part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Avoid the cheap made in China rotors they are junk.

I have the HAWK HPS pads on my Corvette they provide 30 percent better braking than standard pads but they dust bad.

The average person don`t use brakes as hard as they think because everyone will brag on ceramic pads but the best thing about them is they do not dust.

A ceramic pad has a poor friction coefficient compared to something like the Hawk HPS so you must compromise the braking or put up with dust.

I know that some will say I`m wrong about this and all I can say is if you think ceramic is a great brake you have never driven a vehicle that had great brakes.

That said most people will be happy with ceramic and it will provide all the braking they need but not close to being the ultimate in braking.
    My ceramic pads still dust like a mother what gives

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my brake upgrade for my Corvette on-line but they only sell Corvette stuff so I have not bought anything for OEM style brakes other than OEM for my DD.

When I upgraded the vette I installed rotors that were much larger in diameter and much thicker. I also replaced the 2 piston caliper with a 6 piston caliper

It cost about $3500.00 for the kit but they are awesome.
    Changing the rotors required that I install different wheels to clear the big rotors and buy new tires $2500.00 for wheels and $330.00 a piece for the G Force tires made for a expensive brake job over $7500.00 total.

Hawk HPS pads would be great for pulling the boat but be forewarned they will dust far more than OEM but any pad that out performs OEM will dust more you can`t have your cake and eat it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Brake questions

Thats cause ya drive like you do, ya did show us what poor Steve looked like after a trip.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the theory behind the dimpled rotors is that it doesn`t compromise the metal at all by going all the way through it, yet gives a place for heat and gases to go while adding another cutting edge.

Mine are still kicking strong and I drive HARD barely a lip at the edge of the rotor.

Here`s how Pockets drives:
    Pockets -----> sleeping <------- Steve
    Pockets -----> <------- Steve

Haha
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

How much dust a brake pad makes is a relative thing it is like how well a car stops or how fast it is it depends on who you are talking to.
    Performance means something different to different people.

A extreme example of that would be one time at a car show this old geezer came up to my car and was looking at it and I had a dyno sheet on the windshield showing that it had dyno-ed at 1178HP the old guy said boy I`ll bet it is fast ??
    I said yea it runs pretty good he said I had a car like that once.
    I ask what kind of car was it he said a 1938 Ford

If you had true high performance pads you would decide that what you have now is not so bad after all.

If your pads are dusting bad they would be a very poor ceramic pad that probably has very little ceramic in it.

The box says ceramic that would be like gasoline that claims to have fuel injector cleaner in it.
    If they put one ounce in 10,000 gallons then they can say it has injector cleaner in it.

Bottom line you have less dust than organic pads or you got a poor set of ceramic because that is ceramics claim to fame is light dust,
    However if you driver real hard even ceramic will dust bad but still not as bad as organic pads will.

Post Thanks / Like

Could it have anything to do with the red lights and electronic siren behind the grill? I`m jusy sayin`.
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Brake questions

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    Pockets -----> <------- Steve

Haha
    I figured there was more to the story...

Post Thanks / Like

So what is the latest have you fixed the brakes yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information