Might need a translator. DR1665's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the paint salvageable? Always wondered...

It`s been a few years since I`ve been here, but the recent ownership email reminded me this is the place to be for this sort of question. I`m no longer looking to start up a detailing business, but I`ve always enjoyed making my own cars shine. Not so much of that in a while.

Currently, we have 3 vehicles:
    • 99 Isuzu Amigo - It`s dented, scratched, and raw. No point in shining it up because it`s intended purpose is off-road. No worries.
    • 91 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 - It`s been rattle canned flat black because I was tired of clearcoat peeling everywhere. It`s also a rally car, so there`s no point shining it up because it`s intended purpose is also off road.
    • 92 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 - This one is the one I`d like to shine, but it appears the previous owner painted it with a roller.

Not the best picture, but you can see there are no reflections. I used to be a 2-bucket, strip, clay, polish, wax kinda guy. 8 hours was "about right" for me to "wash my car." These days, I usually just use the DIY with the high pressure hose. (sigh)

The paint on most of the car looks cool in it`s own respect, but it`s a sort of orange peel, hammer tone finish that makes anything beyond a hose off a fruitless effort. The previous owner sprayed the bulk of the car, with a couple exceptions - the passenger front door, the roof and upper half of the d-pillars, and trunk lid. Go figure.

Do you guys - the experts - think it`s worth my getting a DA and trying to take the paint down to a uniform surface? Or should I just strip the car down, fix the dings, and have it repainted. I know which will give the best final results, obviously, but I`ve got a lot of work to do on my other Galant, and anything major on the 92 will just have to wait. I was hoping I might be able to spruce things up a bit short of a complete respray.

The two Galants for comparison.

EDIT: While I`m thinking about it, the amber on those foglight turn signals appears to have been painted on. Plastic lenses. Any good way to strip that off without crazing the lens beneath? The entire front clip on the gray car came from Australia, so replacements aren`t the easiest to come by.

Thanks, folks.
    Gearbox Magazine | Sharing stories of automotive enthusiasts around the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is the paint salvageable? Always wondered...

The orange peel can be corrected with wet sanding, however I would be concerned with how much paint is left on the car. If you haven`t taken a good cutting pad and compound to the car, I would start there and see how it comes out.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used enamel reducer on painted lenses before and didn`t hurt them. Car Brite makes some stuff called Take Off that I know wouldn`t hurt anything but finding a rep and all that prob wouldn`t be worth the effort.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if you were spending 8 hours to wash your car, I can see why you might have fallen away from keeping up on your car.

My advice is to take it to a reputable body shop and have them evaluate your paint finish. Nobody is going to be able to give you proper advice on here based on these pictures (or any pictures really).

I`m assuming you`re talking about sanding with the DA, not polishing. Again, unless you have experience doing this, then I would not recommend doing it on your own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    The orange peel can be corrected with wet sanding, however I would be concerned with how much paint is left on the car. If you haven`t taken a good cutting pad and compound to the car, I would start there and see how it comes out.
    I suspect there is quite a bit of paint on the car. Then again, there`s only one way to find out, right? Even if I do manage to clean up the paint that`s there, it still won`t match the one door, the roof, and the trunk. It`s just a question of whether or not it`s worth the effort.

I`ll do some research here on proper wet sanding and consider trying a small spot somewhere to evaluate the process.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    I`ve used enamel reducer on painted lenses before and didn`t hurt them. Car Brite makes some stuff called Take Off that I know wouldn`t hurt anything but finding a rep and all that prob wouldn`t be worth the effort.
    Enamel reducer, eh? Worth a shot. I had been thinking of sanding things down with progressively finer grits until I would hopefully have a polished clear surface. A lot of effort for a relatively minor issue.

Appreciate the feedback, gents.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Are your lenses in good shape? You could try some mineral spirits and if that doesn`t work. You could always sand and restore the lenses especially if they are getting dull anyways which on a 92, I bet they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArmstrongDetailing View Post
    Well is you were spending 8 hours to wash your car, I can see why you might have fallen away from keeping up on your car.
    She was far from perfect, but I considered it a labor of love. I touched every square inch of that car - inside and out. To me, this car had a personality and I thoroughly enjoyed spending the time doting on her.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmstrongDetailing View Post
    My advice is to take it to a reputable body shop and have them evaluate your paint finish. Nobody is going to be able to give you proper advice on here based on these pictures (or any pictures really).
    I appreciate that anyone offering any advice here could merely speculate based on past experiences. I don`t expect a definitive answer to either end. It seems possible to me, but I guess a trip to a local pro couldn`t hurt either.

I`m more curious than anything else.

Thanks again. So many rapid replies to this!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
    I suspect there is quite a bit of paint on the car. Then again, there`s only one way to find out, right? Even if I do manage to clean up the paint that`s there, it still won`t match the one door, the roof, and the trunk. It`s just a question of whether or not it`s worth the effort.

I`ll do some research here on proper wet sanding and consider trying a small spot somewhere to evaluate the process.

Enamel reducer, eh? Worth a shot. I had been thinking of sanding things down with progressively finer grits until I would hopefully have a polished clear surface. A lot of effort for a relatively minor issue.

Appreciate the feedback, gents.
    And there`s what I consider your best option.
    Try a few things in some test areas to see just what kind of results you can expect. That way you don`t spend a lot of time and effort doing the whole car for no real benefit. You also won`t screw up what you presently have if your processes don`t work.

Off Topic: Aren`t the Galant VR4s the sleeper turbo version?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    And there`s what I consider your best option.
    Try a few things in some test areas to see just what kind of results you can expect. That way you don`t spend a lot of time and effort doing the whole car for no real benefit. You also won`t screw up what you presently have if your processes don`t work.
    Exactly. I can drop about $20 on materials and spend an hour working a small area somewhere inconspicuous. If it comes out, I can do more. If not, no loss.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Off Topic: Aren`t the Galant VR4s the sleeper turbo version?
    You are correct. Only 3008 sold in North America in 1991 and 1992 combined. Currently estimated to be about 1500 or so left. 4-doors, 4WD, 4WS, clever little badge on the dashboard. Brilliant little cars. I consider myself fortunate.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be a DSM nut a few years back. In fact I held on to what`s left of my old eclipse. Those cats over at dsmtuners.com would go crazy over that VR4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    I used to be a DSM nut a few years back. In fact I held on to what`s left of my old eclipse. Those cats over at dsmtuners.com would go crazy over that VR4.
    Ah yes. DSMtuners. I`m a member and one of their "Wisemen." Also recently interviewed the founder on Mitsubishi Gearbox Magazine.

Technically, the Galant VR4 is *not* a DSM. GVR4s were all built in Japan, dating back to 1987 with that powertrain. The platform was then modified for the new Diamond Stars to be built in the States in 1989. /trivia

Checking out the new Wet Sanding Forum now...

Thread Information