Post Thanks / Like

cleaning alloys of my first bmw for the first time

hello,

Can you guys help me out with cleaning the bodywork and alloys of my first bmw.

i have got the smartguard clean protection (PAINT & ALLOY WHEEL CLEANER) when i bought car and have been given a got a products for cleaning alloys and the bodywork (in addition to other products for cleaning the leather and bird poop).

i have gone through the forums and came back with the following instructions

1. remove excess dust with a DRY soft cloth. It comes off amazingly easy and leaves the alloys clean and shiny.
    can i use kleenex tissuepaper? any soft cloth you recommend. i have got a two color brush, not sure if this can be used on the alloys?

2. clean with a car shampoo
    i guess the stuff i got from smartguard is a car shampoo, would the shampoo be the same for the body and the alloys?

3. When alloys are clean make sure you give them a waxing. Do this regularly and you build up a protective layer.
    where do i get wax for the alloys?

I am reluctant to go to the local cleaners (tesco/asda) as i am not sure if they are the guys whom i should go to. any recommendations where i can get the car cleaned.

The instructions on the back of the "alloy and wheel cleaner are the following:

1. Shake well before use
    2. spray on to a small area of the paint surface/alloy wheels at a time
    3. for excessive dirt and grit particles allow to soack in, and then reapply
    4. buff the bodywork with a clean dry cloth
    5. buff the surface with a finishing cloth
    6. repeat as required

this noob would really appreciate your help

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning alloys of my first bmw for the first time

I suggest that you stick around here for a while and read the threads, learn how to use the search function to single out the search topics. I can only speak as to the local supply in my area and they are lacking to say the least. check out We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store or poorboysworld.com they have very high quality products and even better customer service. I personally use Poorboy`s World products and am very happy with them. If you go into the chat room when Poorboy is in there or just call him regarding your specific needs he will sell the right product for your needs. I have not had any complaints with any of his products.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you ever dry wipe the dirt off your car?
    If not then don;t do it off your wheels. They are clear coated.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the advice,

i did use kleenex to take of the black stuff of a small part of one of the wheels then decided to ask for advice. hope i have not caused too much damage

Post Thanks / Like

hello,

After i cleaned my car i discovered that the silver paint on my cars wheel`s base is flaking away and in many places has been replaced by red color. i guess this is a rust. i thought the whole wheel was an alloy and after browing for info on the net, have a feeling that the wheel base is steel and some how it started rusting. the car is under 3 months old, surely it should not have rusted this fast. could it have been a combination of the recent bad weather in the uk and brake dust. the rust is more widespread on the rear wheels. i have tried to take a picture whoing the rust behind the spokes (attached) to show my misery

if it is not natural to rust so quick, can i go back to the bmw garage and ask them to fix the rust on the wheel rims (?). if i am to fix it, do i need to fix it right away. would this rust spread to other parts of the wheel if i dont fix it right away.
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

You`re not confusing the wheels and the rotors are you? The wheels are the metal part closest to the outside of the car. They`re painted a nice silver with a clearcoat over them.

The rotors are the circular part way in the back and I can see your rotor through the wheel spokes.

The rotors are made of untreated metal so the brake pads can grab them and get a good grip on the rotors and that`s what stops the car. Being untreated metal, they rust really quickly, especially when water is applied like after a wash but clean up after you apply the brakes a couple of times. There`s nothing you can do to prevent them from rusting a bit.

So, are you talking about the wheels or the rotors in the back?

Post Thanks / Like

Rust on the rotors is VERY common on BMW`s. VERY.

BMW says it`s "normal". Only way to get rid of it would be to pull the wheel, then rotor, scrape and then paint with hi temp paint.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not talking about the braking part either. I am talking about where the wheel mounts to the rotor.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies,

yes, i am confusing the wheels and the rotors (now i know they are the disc brakes). first picture in this link Disc brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, i am an absolute noob to cars hence the noob questions.

the rotors in the back are 75% silver, and 25% rusty with flakes of silver coming of them wheels. in the front the situation is better 95% silver and 5% rusty. i guess the silver had been originally painted for aesthetic reasons and now with age and use it is coming off.

any idea why the front rotors have suffered less "silver loss". the brake calipers also look a bit shabby.

i guess te part where the wheel mounts to the rotor is in the centre and is not visible unless i take off the wheel? would this rust harm the alloy wheel?

Post Thanks / Like

Most of your braking power comes from the front wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the reply,

if most of the braking power comes from the front wheels would that not mean that most of the corrosion should take place inthe front wheel rotors?

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: cleaning alloys of my first bmw for the first time

The black dirt on the wheel is from the brake pads. They "dust" and that`s what causes the black stuff on the wheel. They sell a plate for stopping the dust I have never tried the shields because I wash often. Find out if your wheels are coated wheels and then buy a wheel cleaner and spray and clean the wheels when you wash your car.

Remember when the car looks good the wheels are just as important to keep clean. We all suffer from brake dust so just add it to the wash schedule...

Thread Information