Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting New Tires

Since you have a Ford that rules out Goodyear.
    I put 4 Goodyear wrangler radials on a Bronco that I had and one was shaped like a football dam near shook the dash out of it at 60 mph.

I went to my local Goodyear store and told them about it and the woman manager said lets go look at them, we walk outside and she said which vehicle is your`s I said that Bronco she said well that is the problem.

I ask what was the problem she said our tires do that every time on a Ford.

I told her that was bad news for Goodyear because I drive Fords.

I had Goodyear tires before and had a lot of trouble with them and got royally screwed with their so called warranty be a cold day in hell when I buy another Goodyear tire.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Tire Rack in the past with good results. My local mechanic did not carry the tires I wanted, so I had TR ship them to the shop and had them installed the next day.
    When I had my beater Ranger, I had good luck with `take offs` from a local tire dealer. Usually paid about $25 a tire, and since it was just me in the truck and it never saw expressway speeds, everything was fine.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Since you have a Ford that rules out Goodyear.
    I put 4 Goodyear wrangler radials on a Bronco that I had and one was shaped like a football dam near shook the dash out of it at 60 mph.

I went to my local Goodyear store and told them about it and the woman manager said lets go look at them, we walk outside and she said which vehicle is your`s I said that Bronco she said well that is the problem.

I ask what was the problem she said our tires do that every time on a Ford.

I told her that was bad news for Goodyear because I drive Fords.

I had Goodyear tires before and had a lot of trouble with them and got royally screwed with their so called warranty be a cold day in hell when I buy another Goodyear tire.
    Color me surprised at that comment. I never heard anyone express that before and I would have to question the credibility of the statement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Color me surprised at that comment. I never heard anyone express that before and I would have to question the credibility of the statement.
    NO credibility she was just trying to keep from replacing the tire.
    The only reason I had them was they came on the car.
    I had decided years before to never buy Goodyear tires.
    I have Michelin LTX on my Explorer they are great.

I have BFG-G Force tires on my vette they are a good high performance tire, I have had mine up to 264 mph and over 200 several times and they are holding up great.

G-Force will wear fast because they are soft rubber but they really hook I corkscrewed a drive-shaft because they hooked so hard

Post Thanks / Like

Ford has had their share of trouble with GoodYear tires. That doesn`t mean you couldn`t put a set on there. I for one would not. My last truck came with a set of GoodYear Wrangler ATS`s on it. They were the greasiest set of cheese ball tires I have ever run. When cornering with anything other than grandma`s foot the sidewall would roll over and squeal like a pig under a gate. I pulled them off after about 8000 miles.

Years ago, I managed a district of 18 tire stores. We sold in the neighborhood of 20 million dollars worth of tires annually. I literally could get any tire I wanted. I would steer you either towards a BFG AT TKO or a set of Michelin AT`s. At least that would be my recommendation if you see any kind of weather. If you`re looking for a strictly street tread buy the Michelin`s. That`s my 2 cents.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys it was the Firestone ATX on the F150, Ranger and Broncos that were the last problem that I can remember. A lot of Goodyear Wrangler Radials were and still are being put on that dont hae the sidewall plies and give/gave some problems. Just buy tires that have a more solid sidewall than a 3 ply tread and 1 ply sidewall.

Post Thanks / Like

Randal, you are correct. Firestone was the blowout tire on the Ranger and Bronco`s. GoodYear had the ride quality issues on the 150`s and Expy`s. We paid out warranty dollars every time we turned around on the GoodYears. You didn`t hear about this one because people weren`t dying.

Typically in a warranty situation the retailer eats the warranty adjustment. When Firestone`s problem became common knowledge they began to buy the warranty back. We of course had to go through channels and get the adjusted tire back to Firestone in order to collect. In the long run we lost far more money on the GoodYear`s than the Firestone`s. BFG does have the best (stiffest) sidewall of the bunch. Michelin`s sidewall isn`t as stiff but offers the best ride of those I`ve mentioned. As long as you aren`t wheelin` in the rocks Michelin`s sidewalls are dandy.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Ever since I stopped buying retreads in 1968 (do they do retreads any more?) I have never been satisfied with anything but Michelins. I don`t know why, but Goodyears, BFG`s, Dunlops, Hankooks, you name it, have given me problems.

I don`t care what your DD truck is... try some Michelins. (not affiliated in any way) LTX AT2`s if you`re on and off road, LTX M&S for mostly highway (but really good in the muck also.) I have Pilots on the Matrix.

FWIW
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like

For those who don`t know it Micheline has owned BFG and now makes them.
    Not hard to figure out why Michelin gets high mileage typical tire new has
    13/32 tread
    My Micheline LTX had 19/32 so after 25,000 miles they still have what a new tire is of other brands.

I don`t know what I`m going to do when I need to replace the BFG-G Force tires on my Corvette they were awesome tires but BFG has discontinued them .
    At $330.00 per tire sales was slow so they dropped them.
    No other manufacture makes anything that compares to them so I`m hoping some one steps up and starts making a extreme performance tire or I may need to pull a couple plug wires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Looking to get some new meats on my ford ranger. I want to get some over sized ones this time around.

Anyone used trierack.com?
    Tire Rack if good.

Get Nitto All Terrian ir BGF All Terrian I have had both on my truck great tires. I have BFG Mud-Terrian now and I love them

Shawn
    (954) 871-0205

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sullysdetailing View Post
    Tire Rack if good.

Get Nitto All Terrian ir BGF All Terrian I have had both on my truck great tires. I have BFG Mud-Terrian now and I love them
    Both would be a good choice if he did not live it Kalifornia.
    He probably need just a AT they would be good in rain and light off road use good all round tire.
    If you buy from tire rack keep in mind that on top of that good price you will need to pay someone for mounting and balancing.
    Since everything is high in Arnold`s Kingdom that could be a significant amount of extra $$$$$$

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

stick with PepBoys Dave ... for what you do and where you drive, expensive tires just don`t make sense
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean, Steve? I`ve heard Michelins called "The Poor Man`s Truck Tire." You know... buy Michelins, then you`re a poor man!
    JohnHenry

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
    What do you mean, Steve? I`ve heard Michelins called "The Poor Man`s Truck Tire." You know... buy Michelins, then you`re a poor man!

lol ... I like Michelin`s too but Dave`s truck is a local DD and it only cost him $1k ... I doubt he will be putting $500 more just into tires
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think of tires like a local motorcycle dealer told people when they ask about a cheap helmet. He said it is your head you decide what it is worth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information