Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ford fusion bumper clear coat pealing

don`t think the dealer will do it, as I think you are out of warranty.....it`s not a huge exp for a body shop - maybe a couple hundred...

I`ve fixed it before and got it to look acceptable on some old Hondas that lose their clear regularly:
    damp/wet/hand sand with 3000/2000
    clean and rattle can spray with duragloss clear
    sand again 3000
    rotary with two compounds: heavy and finish compounds
    rotary w/ polish
    then wax...

and I repeat - this will make it look acceptable, but to make it look perfect, the whole panel should be re-shot by a body shop...
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by basudecar1509 View Post
    hello guys ...

its really nice post ....

i just liked it ....

thanks dude ....
    We`re all glad you`re enjoying how the forum works and how members are ready to help any way the can.....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s an experience, and some thoughts-questions of those of you who might know better than I......

About 2-1/2 years ago, on my 2001 Kia Spectra GS, I was beginning to experience clear coat failure on the front, and rear bumpers. Typical peeling, Here;s just a brief story before I get to my point, and some questions.

With one major hearbreaking incident with this car, where the goofy kid across the street ran into the front of the car with his bike when I mistakenly left the car parked in front of the house overnight, and the hood and fender looked like somebody hit the hood with a sledgehammer, a few more dings, that were in the car when I bought it (used) and some more, compliments of the supermarket goons, I just couldn`t see throwing gobs of money into this car, a daily driver, which I figured would get some more anyway.

To fix the bike damage, I had to drive to Albuqueque to find a paintless dent repair person, a 500 mile round trip, and the fix wasn`t perfect, but a lot better.

Anyway, to both front, and rear bumpesr, I wet sanded both with 1000, then 2000, got the paint smooth, prep solvent, an alcohol wipe down, and mask and spray. Used Duplicolor Clear Enamel.

The job looked very nice, not perfect, but 100 times better than before. One had to look awful close to see it was a shadetree mechanic fix.

But, the repair did not last, no matter how many times I coated it with wax, and not just any wax, I used Collinite DoubleCoat Paste.

I`m not sure of this at this point, and am unsure whether the failure again was either due to not getting good adhesion, or just a failure again to the scourge of this desert sun here?

So, again, to get to the point, do you folks possibly think a hi-tech uber expensive sealant product might have possibly aided the longevity of such a cheap fix?

Let`s say something like Opti-Coat, or GTechniq EXO? Could something like these products prolong the life of simple rattle can sprays?

I was going to start a seperate thread, titled "Rattle Cans and Sealants" somewhere, but figured this might be a good thread to ask such a question?
    Thanks, Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    Here`s an experience, and some thoughts-questions of those of you who might know better than I......

About 2-1/2 years ago, on my 2001 Kia Spectra GS, I was beginning to experience clear coat failure on the front, and rear bumpers. Typical peeling, Here;s just a brief story before I get to my point, and some questions.

With one major hearbreaking incident with this car, where the goofy kid across the street ran into the front of the car with his bike when I mistakenly left the car parked in front of the house overnight, and the hood and fender looked like somebody hit the hood with a sledgehammer, a few more dings, that were in the car when I bought it (used) and some more, compliments of the supermarket goons, I just couldn`t see throwing gobs of money into this car, a daily driver, which I figured would get some more anyway.

To fix the bike damage, I had to drive to Albuqueque to find a paintless dent repair person, a 500 mile round trip, and the fix wasn`t perfect, but a lot better.

Anyway, to both front, and rear bumpesr, I wet sanded both with 1000, then 2000, got the paint smooth, prep solvent, an alcohol wipe down, and mask and spray. Used Duplicolor Clear Enamel.

The job looked very nice, not perfect, but 100 times better than before. One had to look awful close to see it was a shadetree mechanic fix.

But, the repair did not last, no matter how many times I coated it with wax, and not just any wax, I used Collinite DoubleCoat Paste.

I`m not sure of this at this point, and am unsure whether the failure again was either due to not getting good adhesion, or just a failure again to the scourge of this desert sun here?

So, again, to get to the point, do you folks possibly think a hi-tech uber expensive sealant product might have possibly aided the longevity of such a cheap fix?

Let`s say something like Opti-Coat, or GTechniq EXO? Could something like these products prolong the life of simple rattle can sprays?

I was going to start a seperate thread, titled "Rattle Cans and Sealants" somewhere, but figured this might be a good thread to ask such a question?
    Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark, I was looking at the different sprays at AZ one Saturday and recall some sprays had a flex additive for painting bumpers but not sure if they had a flex/bumper clearcoat spray.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post

Thanks, Mark
    I do alot of "touch up" work and from your discription I think you sanded the paint to smooth for paint to stick. When ever I respray a bumper I sand it down with 600 then use primer sealer(gray can) the hit that with 800 then color then clear. And I have done all of this out of rattle cans before but you get much better result if you at least spray the clear out of a gun because you need it to be pretty thick. With rattle can clear you probably need like somewhere in the number of 20 coats about 3-4 min apart depending on the temp outside. Hope this helps if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edjoe View Post
    Hi Mark, I was looking at the different sprays at AZ one Saturday and recall some sprays had a flex additive for painting bumpers but not sure if they had a flex/bumper clearcoat spray.
    You forsure need flex additive in your clear. doesnt really matter in the base coat

Post Thanks / Like

You gentlemen are probably correct on all counts.

Although these parts are plastic, and flex, they of course aren`t getting any flexure but hitting anything, but perhaps the reasons are due to expansion, and contraction of these parts as they heat, and cool?

And in regards to thickness pf application, again, probably correct, you`d maybe be spraying from now till christmas to achieve proper thickness of paint finish.

Wish there was a more simple solution, but it appears there is no easy fix to such parts, in comparison to professional paint shop results.

Thanks for your input folks, Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Find a touch up guy in the area. They are reasonable for bumpers, just know you will have to sand and polish because it`ll probably get sprayed out side

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information