Thread: WW freezing

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

WW freezing

I`ve read on some forums that some people that either buy a car from a warmer climate or are living in an area that doesn`t typically get too cold but were hit with a prolonged cold snap are finding their WW fluid frozen. Most likely from using a summer bug wash.
    I thought it may be appropriate to mention this now, as some people may be leaving to see relatives in colder climates and may find their WW fluid in the same predicament.

Other than draining the summer stuff and filling with winter stuff, you may be able to stave off the freezing by adding alcohol to the jug. Also, if you want an official product for cars, Prestone makes a WW fluid booster. Add 1 bottle to 2.5 quarts of fluid and you can lower its freezing point by 20º. It`s called (surprisingly enough) "Washer Fluid Booster and De-Icer Additive." 15.5 fl oz. Has Methyl Alcohol, ethylene glycol and isopropanol. Can`t be made non-toxic. But, for under $4 at `Marts etc. it may be worth your while to throw a bottle in if you plan on driving to colder locales or even if you didn`t get all your summer stuff used up before winter hit and wanted to have a little extra safety zone against freeze ups.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WW freezing

The store bought solution freezes hard as a rock here I add a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol to the WW tank cost 0.79 at Wally world

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure Prestone make a windsheild washer fluid that goes down to something silly like -30 but it is like $10 a gal. One problem with the stuff is that if it is mixed with the 99 cent blue stuff it makes a nice green slushy on your windsheild just when you need it clean.

Post Thanks / Like

The fluid around here can go as low as -49ºC. It`s about $4 a gallon. But, when I go to the states, I see mostly just -25ºF blue stuff for around $2 a gallon. The 99¢ stuff is almost summer fluid, if I remember right, so it would of course freeze sooner.

The original post was meant more as a thought provoker for those that may not typically think of WW fluid freezing, before they go into the great white north for visits this winter.
    I hope it helps someone!

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: WW freezing

Thank god that "GM" was smart enough to add a WW fluid heater in the higher end models. Rain X makes a ww fluid that is for winter applications as Prestone does as well. I have used both and never a problem. PB`S Bug squash is also used as a washer booster never tried it in that application but worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njcarting1 View Post
    Thank god that "GM" was smart enough to add a WW fluid heater in the higher end models. Rain X makes a ww fluid that is for winter applications as Prestone does as well. I have used both and never a problem. PB`S Bug squash is also used as a washer booster never tried it in that application but worth a try.
    Having a heater won`t help in really cold weather because the nozzle freezes right where it comes out so warm water in the tank won`t prevent that from happening.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Leegr, read your thread title and thought I was going to read about your Waffle Weave towels freezing I was going to have to really doff my hat to you if you were washing your vehicle in such frigid condtions.

As it is, luckily I won`t be traveling any further north than NE Texas and hopefully it won`t get anywhere near that cold here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Big Leegr, read your thread title and thought I was going to read about your Waffle Weave towels freezing I was going to have to really doff my hat to you if you were washing your vehicle in such frigid condtions.

As it is, luckily I won`t be traveling any further north than NE Texas and hopefully it won`t get anywhere near that cold here.
    If you want to test the theory come to Northern Indiana in January.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njcarting1 View Post
    PB`S Bug squash is also used as a washer booster never tried it in that application but worth a try.
    In this case, BS is used as a cleaning agent booster, not an anti-freeze booster, so if you were to add BS to summer wash, it would still freeze below 32ºF.

Thread Information