Post Thanks / Like

Barter Works Again!

Today with the help of my neighbor who is a retired certified Toyota mechanic. We changed the front pads and rotors on my 96 Camry. End to end the job took about 1.5 hours, with me the whole time, cleaning everything in sight

I had the car serviced about 1 month ago and they said the car need front pads 10% left, they quoted me $270 for replacement with a system flush. My neighbor said the flushing is a money maker for them. its a sealed system and flushing is not needed unless its contaminated

The parts where only 80 bucks, and I traded a detail on his wife`s 07 Hyundai, I will do next weekend.

I am not amazed by the cost from the mechanic place, but what a cost saving that was for me.

I barter a lot with my detail service, these days. its really cool that a lot of business people are willing to do this.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barter Works Again!

Hey Dave

Brake fluid takes on water and it is recommended to be replaced every 2 years!

Do I change it every 2 years uh nope

Taking your car to a mechanic or dealership will usually cost you double... So you might be right on the money or your friend is a little ahead.

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW, only $80 including rotors!!! Not bad at all, unless they were just trued on lathe, then still fair. Front pads are usually not to pricey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlee View Post
    Hey Dave

Brake fluid takes on water and it is recommended to be replaced every 2 years!

Do I change it every 2 years uh nope

Taking your car to a mechanic or dealership will usually cost you double... So you might be right on the money or your friend is a little ahead.
    I don`t know much about the brake system, but according to my neighbor who made his living, working on Toyota this is a sealed system.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDAL View Post
    WOW, only $80 including rotors!!! Not bad at all, unless they were just trued on lathe, then still fair. Front pads are usually not to pricey.
    I got them at Kragens I don`t know but they looked new. Much better than the old ones that`s for sure
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal. I like the idea of barter and do just that whenever possible. That is super cool. You don`t even want to know what a dealership would charge you for that work. At least 800-900 bucks and that is before they find "Something" You now....Uhhh Mr. Snerdly, your fartwhackka seems to be throwing an intermittent code, we need to address this. We need you to authorize another 1500.00, these fartwhackka problems can be a biotch"

Brake fluid and Transmission fluid do indeed seek water. They are (hydrophylic) this is due to a certain amount of ester within their chemical constituency.

Really, most of the moisture that one has to watch out for comes from the reservoirs up top and the heating/cooling cycle of the brakes down by the calipers.

I do think that that grizzlee is correct on the change out schedule. I never do it either!

Does this prove my wife`s determination that I work on limited intelligence?

Thread Information