8 20.00%
  • C-6 (2005-2009)

10 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: corvette wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Question corvette wheels

I just bought a 96 vette with the saw blade wheels. The wheels are in perfect condition. I was told that they have a factory clear coat on them. How do I keep them looking clean and shiny?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you mean these:

... they are clear-coated. If they`re in really good shape, I would just claybar, then seal with Wheel Wax or your favorite sealant. Clean weekly with car wash soap. Repeat Wheel Wax or sealant every 2-3 months.

If you use any "all wheel cleaners", they may strip any protection that you have on the wheels, so stick to car wash.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riprath View Post
    I just bought a 96 vette with the saw blade wheels. The wheels are in perfect condition. I was told that they have a factory clear coat on them. How do I keep them looking clean and shiny?
    As Mr. Luster eluded to, the factory saw blades (and all other C4) Corvette`s had a clear coat on them. However it was a very common modification on those car`s to strip the coating and polish the metal, to increase the shine.

To test to see if you still have clear coat, take a metal polish and lightly apply it to a small section of the wheel. If it turns the rag black or dark gray, then you are polishing metal. If it doesn`t change color, then it is still coated.

Caring for coated wheels is much like caring for you paint, only the wheels are subjected to a much harsher environment. Like the paint, keep the wheels clean, and keep them protected.

Wash them thoroughly, frequently, using a very mild (NON-ACIDIC!!!) soap. This will prevent the corrosive brake dust from eating through the clear coat and damaging the wheel. I would mix up your favorite car soap and water in a squirt bottle and use that as a spray cleaner.

Once the wheels are clean, and to make future cleaning easier, I would protect them with Wheel Wax ?. Wheel Wax is a synthetic polymer specifically designed to be heat resistant (most common waxes will fail in extreme temperatures) and resist brake dust corrosion. Like a quality wax, they will improve the luster and shine of the wheel itself as well. Perhaps the best part, Wheel Wax will make cleaning your wheels a joy, as most brake dust will simply wash off with a stream of water!

Best of luck and let us know how else we can help?

PS is it a 6 speed, LT4 model or a 4sp Auto LT1? I am a huge Vette fan so congrats on having the last of a great generation of cool cars!!!

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    I am a huge Vette fan so congrats on having the last of a great generation of cool cars!!!

Todd
    A Vette Fan here as well (ya think?)! And there is just something special about the `96. Great cars!!!:thumbup:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Luster, and Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    4spd auto Lt1 22,000 mi

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I always a vette and it only took 54 years to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    A Vette Fan here as well (ya think?)! And there is just something special about the `96. Great cars!!!:thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riprath View Post
    Thanks, I always (wanted) a vette and it only took 54 years to get one.
    It took me 57 years!!! :w00t:

I was 17 when the `68 came out. I saw a Red/Red coupe and I wanted a Red Shark for the next 40 years. Finally got one!:thumbup:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    as already stated, if your wheels are clearcoated, then treat them like paint.

The wheels on my truck are clearcoated and I tend to shy away from wheel cleaners since I dont use it on my paint.

I just use the car wash soap I am using at the time, then maintain the wheel with a spray wax.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    It took me 57 years!!! :w00t:

I was 17 when the `68 came out. I saw a Red/Red coupe and I wanted a Red Shark for the next 40 years. Finally got one!:thumbup:

The Baldwin Motion 427 (68-69) are some of the best looking cars ever. I slightly prefer a `69 over a `68 because of the slight differences (StingRay script and door handles) but they both rock.

One of the coolest experiences I have ever had was a spirted, tire melting ride, in an original 1969 L88 Couple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post

One of the coolest experiences I have ever had was a spirted, tire melting ride, in an original 1969 L88 Couple.
    The L88 was indeed, a BEAST! A friend of mine, here in KC has one. 1 of 116 I believe. 430HP (and VERY under-rated at that), It mostly sees garage time now, but it will definitely snap your neck!!!:wink:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

El Presidente
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, I think we have just found a new poll. What is the coolest (Stock) year for a Corvette. I got to go with a `67 ( yeah, Todd, I know you like the earlier version). Then it has to be the new ones, the C-6`s.
    jk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Bill, I think we have just found a new poll. What is the coolest (Stock) year for a Corvette. I got to go with a `67 ( yeah, Todd, I know you like the earlier version). Then it has to be the new ones, the C-6`s.
    jk
    God this is a tough one....

So in a somewhat particular order....

1)1965 Roadster- Probably my favorite. I love the red-white-white-red tail lights that distinguish it from a 1966, and I love the big bubble `big block` hood. However I would take my mine with a 327/365 horse Fuel Injected motor instead, with factory side pipes. First year for side pipes, first year for a big block, last year for fuel injection, first year for disk brakes. It is the best looking, coolest year IMO. A `66 with a 427 would be a close tie with the only differences being the tail light arrangement, I will leave it out of the rest of my list)

2)1963 Split Window Coupe- Seriously gorgeous from every angle, I`ll take mine in silver over black with a 327/360 horse Fuelie motor and a 4 speed please.

3)1967 Roadster- In many people`s eyes the greatest Corvette of all time. I understand why, but I just prefer the detail differences on the `65 more. Still one of the best looking factory hoods on the big blocks. I`ll take mine in red with a white stripe, black interior, black top, factory side pipes and Tri-Power 427/435 horsepower.

4)1969 Corvette Roaster- May favorite of the C3 style, just a little chrome, great curves, and the perfect interpretation of the style. Musalane Blue, with a 427/435 L-89, M-22 4 speed, with side pipes please

5)1957 Roadster- The first American Fuel Injected engine, and the first motor to make 1 horsepower per cubic in is reason enough. However, the style is timeless. Maybe only a `57 Bel Air is more American. I`ll take mine in red over white with the famous 283/283 Fuelie motor and a Wonder Bar Radio.

El Presidente
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you ever fell like your were talking to Tim Allen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    jk
    My vote would be with the `69 Coupe. Absolutely my favorite of all Corvettes. Big block of course. Color? I don`t care! (Although I`ve always been partial to Red with Red Guts!)
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information