Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Pressure!!!

Don`t know about the "all new vehicles" having monitoring systems on them. Ford must have missed the boat. My father has an 08 truck and an 09 Edge. Neither of these have that system.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blk45 View Post
    Good ideas Bunky, but they won`t do anybody any good if they don`t use them. It amazes me how many people are too lazy, or just don`t care to check their tires, fluids, etc.
    I know but many to remember to do it at a gas station and they charge for air around here. It is another incentive to NOT check it.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I hate my tpms,they suck and they are a complete and utter ridiculously serious pain in the butt to reset

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Don`t know about the "all new vehicles" having monitoring systems on them. Ford must have missed the boat. My father has an 08 truck and an 09 Edge. Neither of these have that system.
    They should according to th TREAD Act

The Firestone recall in the United States in the late 1990s which was attributed to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following a tire tread-separation, pushed the Clinton administration to publish the TREAD Act. This act mandates the use of a suitable TPM technology in order to alert drivers of a severe under-inflation condition of their tires. This act affects all light motor vehicles (<10,000 lb) sold after 1 September 2007.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it`s one of those idiot lights on the dashboard that you don`t know is there until there is a problem. I`ve driven both extensively and never seen it as an icon that lights during start up and then goes off. I`ve been wrong before (don`t tell my wife). I`ll take a look in the owners manual next time I`m over.

I found this text on the TREAD Act. Could it be that the term "Early Warning" is being interpreted differently here?

There are three major components of the TREAD Act. First, it requires that vehicle manufacturers report to the National Highway & Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) when it conducts a safety recall or other safety campaign in a foreign country. Second, vehicle manufacturers need to report information related to defects, reports of injury or death related to its products, as well as other relevant data in order to comply with "Early Warning" requirements. Third, there is criminal liability where a vehicle manufacturer intentionally violates the new reporting requirements when a safety-related defect has subsequently caused death or serious bodily injury. There are a number of other smaller provisions which mostly address manufacturers of vehicle tires and guidance to the NHTSA on reporting data. The "Early Warning" requirement is the heart of the TREAD Act, enabling the NHTSA to collect data, notice trends, and warn consumers of potential defects in vehicles.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

^ I`m certain all new vehicles 2008 and beyond have some sort of TPMS, whether its direct or indirect. The TPMS light on mine doesnt come on during the cars self diagnostics at startup, so it may be hard to catch. All I know is that it`s ALWAYS on now cuz I didn`t spent $150 + dollars for new sensors for my winter wheels. My only saving grace is that it stops blinking after a few seconds. Gotta love idiot lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    sometimes its just too hard for some people to bend over and do this maintenance
    I know. Unbelievable!

Remember, that not all systems use actual tire pressure sensors in the tire. Some will use the speed sensors (from the ABS) to detect if one wheel is moving slower/faster than the rest.

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to be a donkey but the Firestone 500 problem was in the late 70`s and ended before 1981 when I puchased my Mustang ang put on new tires. I installed the Firestone Trax 12, kind of a cross treaded firestone 721 (not 727). Same carcass but was a more snow freindly than the 721. Thought it was just the way this school kid drove when 2 tires a week would throw belts (luckily i carried 2 spares when off to school). Next tires were Firestone Metrix (spelling), same carcass as 721 too (stupid me). I think I replaced 3 of those too and then put on some tires that Farm Bearuea had. That set lasted a year and a half (much better tan the Firestones). Still not good!! Final full set of tires was the Multi Mile Grand Am GT RAdials, installed in late 1984. 2 of these tires were still on the car when I traded it off in November 1995( no It wasnt driven much the last 5 years before I traded it off. My next Firestone tires were Oe on my 1988 f150, broken belts, poor tread etc. Junk in10k. Then stupi me got some Firestne ATXs, stupid me!! After that NO MORE Firestones!! Except ag tires. At this moment 4 vehichles have Hercules, Cooper aand 2 with Uniroyal made tires and 1 Hankook tire on the pickup that only runs when it wants to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blk45 View Post
    I know. Unbelievable!

Remember, that not all systems use actual tire pressure sensors in the tire. Some will use the speed sensors (from the ABS) to detect if one wheel is moving slower/faster than the rest.
    Some even used to use ride height sensors.

Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a compressor in the garage and a good quality tire pressure gauge. I check mine and the wife`s tire pressures on a regular basis.

Thanks for reminding us of the importance of something so simple and sorry for the circumstances that warranted this reminder.
    Tampa, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about the loss.

I am pretty anal on maintenance and the such and always keep my tires properly inflated, but I have noticed that we that do keep an eye on our tires are somewhat of a rare breed. Seems like unless you`re a "car guy" tires are neglected unless they look low.

I think it would be a nice, free way to go above and beyond for your clients.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit this happened to me once. Back when my Santa Fe had the factory BF Goodrich tires, I had people telling me my tires looked low. I would check them and they would be at the recommended level so I made it a habit of telling people, "That`s just the way they look."

One day my friend said, "You need to check that tire." I checked it and it looked normal so I gave him my usual explanation but he insisted. I agreed and was stunned...it came back 15 psi! I have been much more diligent about keeping up my pressures ever since.
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Harbor Gray

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that nowadays with tires that are lower profile it is harder to get a visual on whether or not your tire is low on pressure. There just isn`t enough sidewall to see how low they really are until it`s too late

Post Thanks / Like

I check my family`s tires every other week. I keep my compressor and an extension cord in my trunk and take care of the women I work with. None of their boyfriend`s or husbands do it, so I fill up the tires for them. Some were so atrocious it was down right dangerous.
    Seth

Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I brought a bent wheel in for repair and I`m running Michelin Pilot Sports on it. The repair technician mentioned to me that I am running underinflated pressures. He pointed out that I had my pressures at the sill OEM recommended pressures - 32 front and 35 rear. He indicated the Pilot Sports max PSI is 50 and I should bump mine up to about 42. He further stated the door sill placard recommends the OEM tire pressures and said I am running non OEM tires now with a higher recommended pressure setting. The benefits according the tire tech is it is more forgiving if I hit another pothole or whatever caused the initial damage. Plus he said I`ll get better gas mileage.

When I got home I pumped them up to 40.
    Tampa, FL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information